Tennis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
not sure

I'm not sure exactly how long but i remember hearing somewhere that you have to be out around 6-8 months? I remembered that Martina Hingis was out for 4-5 months and still didn't get a protected ranking when she got back. But it doesn't really matter that much with serena, its not like she's going to drop out of the top 8. She'll still probably be top four when she gets back, right?

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
franny said:
I'm not sure exactly how long but i remember hearing somewhere that you have to be out around 6-8 months? I remembered that Martina Hingis was out for 4-5 months and still didn't get a protected ranking when she got back. But it doesn't really matter that much with serena, its not like she's going to drop out of the top 8. She'll still probably be top four when she gets back, right?
She probably will be #3 when she comes back. I doubt she will come back before the year end championships though.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
You have to be out 6 months.

Serena won't be out 6 months, so, she won't get one.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,883 Posts
She doesn't need one. Protected Rankings is used for acceptance only, which she'll get anyway. It means nothing for seeding purposes.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ys said:
She doesn't need one. Protected Rankings is used for acceptance only, which she'll get anyway. It means nothing for seeding purposes.
It does mean something for seeding purposes. Lindsay Davenport got seeded four at the US Open last year, and she was ranked somewhere like #10. Also during the summer she got #3 seed or higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.