Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will Russian tennis fans ever enjoy a day like the Belgian fans did in the women's French Open final yesterday will 2 Belgian's playing for a grand slam singles title? I hope so. But I don't see it happening anytime soon. But I do think the best best would be a Nadia Petrova versus Elena Dementieva final. But Elena keeps stumbling and is not at all mentally tough so I doubt she will make a grand slam final. Perhaps Russia's best choice to play opposite Petrova in a grand slam final would be Vera Zvonareva. She doesn't have Dementieva's tremendous size, speed or weapons, but she has alot of heart and she really knows how to play tennis well and compete with a great will to win! :D

Congratulations to the Belgian tennis fans! :bounce: Yesterday must have been a special day for you.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
It was fun, cat. :kiss:

I hate to sound pessimistic but I don't think the CURRENT crop of Russian players will ever face off in a GS final, cat.

The only one I see with the necessary weapons and mentality is the frequently-injured Nadia Petrova. I can see her reaching a final, given the right draw and a completely healthy body. But she will have to earn that healthy body with intense training, whenever she can get fit long enough to do so!

But who would she face off against? I see no one else out there, cat. The others move forward and back, forward and back. They would need a dream draw to get to that final.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Janie! :D

And I agree with your assesment on female Russian tennis. But I think a Marat Safin - Mikhail Youzhny men's grand slam final is a possiblility in the future if both players can stay healthy.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
The Russian girls all seem to be held back by injuries.

I saw Henin win RG and I thought I wonder if Elena will ever win a GS. When she burst onto the scene, she was being touted with the likes of Clijsters and Henin, and look at them now.

Elena must be more mentally tough especially after AI. She said so herself, what Elena needs is match-play and a coach to help that awful serve!

Hopefully Elena will make forward progression and we'll see her is the USO final :)

If anything, we can always take heart that the ONLY woman to beat Henin on clay in 2003 was our very own Elena :)

Now thats potential in itself!!!!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DEETHELICK, the injuries to the Russian girls are a great concern of mine. And it makes me wonder if they train too hard when they are children. Because the Russian way is to train and practice for as many hours a day as possible. Last year I read an intervirew with Svetlana Kuznetsova at www.juniortennis.com, and she said that Russian tennis coaches push the tennis playing children too hard and they often break down physically from over training. And that is so sad. :sad: But Svetlana's comments made me wonder if Anna Kournikova, Elena Dementieva and the other often injured Russian girls over trained when they were children, and if that over training has led to the numerous injuries that the Russian girls are stricken with.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
the Russians will

just wait ;)

the Russians will dominate the slams soon :):p (post-Serena;))

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
cat, don't let the frequent injuries divert you from the main problem among the Russian ladies: they don't, as a group, have the greatest MENTAL strength or EMOTIONAL control on court.

I see a big problem among potential star players who go live at Bollettieri's at a very young age. Surrounded by psychologists, coaches, and personal trainers, they do not learn to think for themselves. They are okay in low-tension situations doing what they've been told, but given the high-pressure stakes of a big match, the natural nerves that anyone would feel are enough to drive their "shoulds" right out of their noggins. So they freeze up: what do I do??

The academy kids will be the first ones to benefit if on-court coaching is ever allowed in Pro tennis!

Obviously, this scenario does not at all apply to all Russian players, many of whom train at home in Russia or elsewhere. But somehow they are often not well in control of their emotions on court, either.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,029 Posts
Of course we will, in terms of depth we are head and shoulders above anyone, including even USA. Belgium enjoys its period of glory, great for them, but it's just a lucky coincidence that they have two top players in the same generation. They had never had it before, there is nothing like that in sight.

And last few years each year Russian girls exceed results eachived an year before, so it's just a matter of time.

And I hope that our first GS Champion will not be achieving it at expense of fair play, as well as she and her final opponent will not play such a poor match..

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interesting thoughts, Janie. Especially about how on court coaching would help the Russian girls who train at Bollettieri's.

ys, "Of course we will"? I hope so. But I'm not that confident. And while Russia has alot of depth in women's tennis, the question remains, is it quality depth or quantity depth? I hope it's quality depth. But we won't know for a couple more years at the very least.

Kart, you are right about the grand slam success of the Belgian girls Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters giving hope to fans of other countries that 2 players from the same country such as Russia, could someday play for a grand slam singles title! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts