Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
She'll probably hang around the Top 20 for most of her remaining time on the tour, which I expect to end after the Olympics, with Zurich '08 (coincidentally, its last year B4 the new schedule takes effect under the "roadmap" in '09 unless it gets a reprieve). But another clay season gone without a title. :yeah:

·
Registered
115,276 Posts
This was the softest quarter of a major ever. Patty almost lost in round 3, then blew 2 mp's here.
She'll survive.

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
I don't think Patty really choked. :shrug:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I don't think Patty really choked. :shrug:
She didn't choke. She didn't fight as hard as Masha. Patty missed both first serves on match points, but Maria forced errors on both points. Patty could have done more, but it wasn't as if she just started spraying the ball or looping it back a la Novotna Wimbledon 93.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
No. Patty wasted her last ever chance to find herself in Slam final. She is finished.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
dream on goldie. It had two of the best 4 players in the world in it.
No, it had Momo - and let's face it, Roland Garros isn't usually the place she shines..
and Maria - A fighter? Yes. A claycourter? Hell no.

Sorry Boylie, but Goldie is right.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
dream on goldie. It had two of the best 4 players in the world in it.
sharapova is the weakest link by far on this surface.
kuznetsova is erratic and that's putting it lightly.
it also had mauresmo. :eek:
the other top players are like ivanovic and anna c. ivanovic is the truest dark horse, and anna c hasn't proven herself yet.

meanwhile the top half has henin, serena, and jankovic (all three would be undisputed favorites to make the finals if in the bottom half). you can't say the same about the bottom half.

therefore, schnyder had a cakewalk draw, comparatively speaking.

Reactions: Paul.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Probably, it's not exactly the first time she's wasted chances against a top player, is it?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I love the way some GM posters like to predict a player's demise after a loss. She's no spring chicken but she has a good few years left in her yet. I doubt she walked off court thinking, oh dear, time to hang up my racquet now.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
she doesn't like the grass and she's not able to beat the young guns on hardcourt, so I don't see her moving back into the top-10. I hope she can stay in the top-20...

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Rumor has it that Patty and Lena D. are going to start a seniors tour. Just the two of them.

I predict that by the fourth or fifth tournament, one of them will manage to win a title.

Reactions: cypher_88

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
sharapova is the weakest link by far on this surface.
kuznetsova is erratic and that's putting it lightly.
it also had mauresmo. :eek:
the other top players are like ivanovic and anna c. ivanovic is the truest dark horse, and anna c hasn't proven herself yet.

meanwhile the top half has henin, serena, and jankovic (all three would be undisputed favorites to make the finals if in the bottom half). you can't say the same about the bottom half.

therefore, schnyder had a cakewalk draw, comparatively speaking.
I see absolutely no empirical reason to call Jankovic the clear favorite over Ivanovic when Ana leads the H2H 4-1 and is much mentally tougher. I also see no reason to call Jankovic the favorite over Sharapova (50/50 due to huge gap in mental toughness). I think Serena and Justine are the two favorites for this title. Jelena has a very real chance of being knocked out by Vaidisova.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I see absolutely no empirical reason to call Jankovic the clear favorite over Ivanovic when Ana leads the H2H 4-1 and is much mentally tougher. I also see no reason to call Jankovic the favorite over Sharapova (50/50 due to huge gap in mental toughness). I think Serena and Justine are the two favorites for this title. Jelena has a very real chance of being knocked out by Vaidisova.
Empirical shmempirical. Watch how they've played. If you really think Maria playing with that injury like she did today would even win a set off Jankovic, you are smoking something way wackier than Patty.

·
Registered
115,276 Posts
Sveta and Ana aren't in this quarter. This quarter has no one with RG results in it.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
you have a point, i'll concede that.
but based on 2007 form, i'd say jankovic is the third favorite behind serena and henin to win the title. i don't think you can deny that. H2H's are made to be changed. 4-1 isn't even all that conclusive yet, unless the four that ana won were complete blowouts, which wasn't the case.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I don't think she'll make it back to the top 10 but I think she still has one more good slam run in her.
I was just hoping that this Roland Garros would help to inspire her to try at it a little bit more.
I think it will and I hope it will.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I hope she bounces back. I like Patty- always have. Unfortunately, Patty's not known for her mental fortitude.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts