Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
The next step up to what?

I would assume you meant the step up to join the elite players - which, physically, she is more than capable of doing - but she hasn't even taken the basic step of winning her first title yet :eek:

The only predictable thing about her career so far is that whenever an opportunity of any sort presents itself to Nadia, she fails to take it. :(

·
27,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sartrista7 said:
The next step up to what?

I would assume you meant the step up to join the elite players - which, physically, she is more than capable of doing - but she hasn't even taken the basic step of winning her first title yet :eek:

The only predictable thing about her career so far is that whenever an opportunity of any sort presents itself to Nadia, she fails to take it. :(
What you said. ;)

Well, actually making ANY step which would allow her to win matches like today's or against Serena at AO, or one of the countless others she has lost.

·
Premium Member
182,680 Posts
Nadya makes Marat look like a beginner of Oafishness :( :sad:

·
Registered
120,547 Posts
She beat Justine at the US Open, knocked her out of the #1 spot.
She beat Serena last year. Lost only 5 games that match.
Nadia is not going to beat Serena, Justine, and Amelie, every time they play.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Nadia is a top player, who has peaked at #6 in the world, has one some very big Tier I doubles titles (Miami, Berlin, Rome, Moscow and YEC) and has come very close to winning titles (Gold Coast 04) - she will win a singles title this year I'm sure.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
GoDominique said:
What you said. ;)

Well, actually making ANY step which would allow her to win matches like today's or against Serena at AO, or one of the countless others she has lost.
She seems to be intent on proving the 'it's got to happen eventually' maxim wrong, too.

It's een more bemusing as, out of all the Russians, she has the fewest regular weaknesses in her game! Serve is amazing, second serve one of the better ones on tour, forehand and backhand both technically great and neither fundamentally flawed, she's pretty fast for a girl her size, she's even got variety and excellent volleying skills, and she can think on court too - yet at one match per tournament, somehow all of her weapons just cease to function.

·
27,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
goldenlox said:
She beat Justine at the US Open, knocked her out of the #1 spot.
She beat Serena last year. Lost only 5 games that match.
Nadia is not going to beat Serena, Justine, and Amelie, every time they play.
Yeah, but Justine was flat as a pancake in that match.

And the win against Serena was almost a year ago.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
I guess there is too much pressure on her :confused: When she made the semis at the French, there was no pressure at all, but since then people expect so much of her. And there is even more pressure because she is Russian!

·
Registered
120,547 Posts
GoDominique said:
Yeah, but Justine was flat as a pancake in that match.

And the win against Serena was almost a year ago.
Sometimes Justine or Serena has a bad day.
Sometimes Nadia has a bad day.
Nadia will be fine.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,023 Posts
I'm not sure! She has impressed me this week, and I think she'll always be a danger, but I'm not quite convinced she can become one of the elite!

I'll be very surprised if she never wins a title though!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like a loss against Mauresmo or Serena is such a big deal. :rolleyes:
She will gain her first title soon enough - she had a good start of the year so it might happen soon enough. She just has been lacking the mental toughness and especially the necessary luck (remember the set-ball against Clijsters in the FO SF?) in the past. Big fuss about nothing IMO.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Nadya makes Marat look like a beginner of Oafishness :( :sad:
:eek: If Marat can get his head together, there is no reason Nadia can't!:D

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
yeah nadia will win that first title soon ;)

however, this was a huge opportunity against an off-form amelie ( esp in the first set ) but the problem was that nadia played even worse than momo :mad: :sad: :shrug:

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
she may not have a regular weakness in her game, but she has one.....IN HER BRAIN! :(

·
5,032 Posts
Nadia is over-rated. Her serve is top class but the rest of her game is nothing special. She doesn't hit very hard. She doesn't move that well. Her variety while she uses it more than most women isn't exactly great. Her mentally is bad. Personally I think she should be happy with GS Semi cos she's not going to challenge the top players :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
GoDominique said:
I doubt it.
Me neither, another player who will underachieve due to lack of belief in herself.

·
Banned
4,117 Posts
I hope so :sad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.