956 Posts
I think your question answers itself.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
I'd say no.

BJK is going to pick V&S for the doubles team,
since they are defending champions.

She can pick two for singles
and I don't see how she can't go with V&S.
Venus is the defending champion and Serena is the
most dominate player for the time being.

Monica may be the defending bronze medalist,
but with her ranking slipping, her injuries, and the on slaught of the Belgians and Russians making the field even tougher, I don't see how she could pick Monica unless she really picks herself back and up and does it quick!

· Banned
596 Posts
Kabuke said:
I'd say no.

BJK is going to pick V&S for the doubles team,
since they are defending champions.

She can pick two for singles
and I don't see how she can't go with V&S.
Venus is the defending champion and Serena is the
most dominate player for the time being.

Monica may be the defending bronze medalist,
but with her ranking slipping, her injuries, and the on slaught of the Belgians and Russians making the field even tougher, I don't see how she could pick Monica unless she really picks herself back and up and does it quick!
actually they can send up to 4 Americans,
Venus/Serena/Lindsay/Jen is the most likely combination,
(yes, Jen:))Monica IMO does really have a shot,
but it all depends on how well she does after she comes back,
so good lucK:D

· Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
I think they changed so that you have 3 singles players and 1 doubles players (with a player who plays singles.)

· Registered
2,991 Posts
Well, it'll be on clay, so maybe she could justify picking Monica b/c of her history on clay!

· Registered
18,697 Posts
Is Cappy allowed to play or not, since technically, she always was available to play for Fed Cup. She never got picked, that's all.

Monica should be picked by BJK. Monica's always saved BJK's ass, when all the other top players have ditched BJK.

· Keeper of Secrets
9,044 Posts
yeah I was thinking the same hingis-seles.

It seems unfair that a player who always puts her hand to play FC, may not be able to represent her country in the Olympics because her ranking isn't high enough.

· Registered
956 Posts
tyk101 said:
tyk101,

Sorry if you found my response confusing, however the decision on whom to send is based strickly on ranking at least for singles play. So unless Monica improves her to be amont the top three Americans, she has no chance. Now as the 4th member on the team to play doubles, I can't see BJK choosing her over Lisa Raymond in light of that fiasco last time around. Which lead me to my next point, If BJK chooses Venus, Serena and Lindsay to play singles who would play doubles, Lisa/Davenport? Would you field that doubles team over the defending champs?

· Registered
2,061 Posts
I understood the Athens Olympics will be on clay about two weeks before the US Open next year.
If so, i wonder how that will affect the participation of the top players. Will Venus/Serena/lindsay/Jennifer want to play if it jeopardizes their chances in NY? Even Justine and Kim might not be certain.
Of course it depends on how well Monica does when she gets back.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
mishar said:
I understood the Athens Olympics will be on clay about two weeks before the US Open next year.
If so, i wonder how that will affect the participation of the top players. Will Venus/Serena/lindsay/Jennifer want to play if it jeopardizes their chances in NY? Even Justine and Kim might not be certain.
Of course it depends on how well Monica does when she gets back.
I hadn't thought about that.

However, their is a week(New Haven;Pilot Pen)
between the Olympics and US Open.

Well, Jen and Lindsay have points to defend from New Haven
and if the play and decide to do the Olympics and US Open,
that'll be roughly 5 straight weeks of play considering how the fair.
So, that and the fact of changing surfaces could be an issue.

As for the V&S,
I think they genuinely like the Olympics and barring injury I'd think they'd want to try and defend their Titles. Also, they have no points to defend during the enitre NA hardcourt season which makes things for them a little less complicated depending on how they compete up til' Wimbledon.

· Registered
9,295 Posts
In my opinion it`s difficult to say who will be nominated. Monica shouldn`t have any chance, I think...but you never know... :confused:

It depends on many circumstances - the surface, Fed Cup, BJK, the number of players who are allowed to play, injuries, rankings...

Surface: Hardcourt: Serena, Venus, Lindsay or Serena, Venus, Jennifer Claycourt: the same

Fed Cup: Serera, Venus and ??? Neither Lindsay nor Jennifer have played Fed Cup this year so far...

BJK: Serena, Venus, Lindsay, I think, it will be hard for Jennifer to be nominated if it`s only BJK`s decision.

Number of players: 2 + WC or 3 + WC? :confused:

Injuries: I don`t want any player to be injured but you never know...

Rankings: This week`s rankings say that Serena, Lindsay and Jennifer are nominated.

My point of view: I think, BJK nominates Serena and Venus and either Lindsay or Jennifer. If 3 players + WC are allowed then all four of them. 2 players + WC and a fourth player to play doubles with one singles player means Serena, Venus in doubles as well. In Sydney BJK used the rankings for her nomination, that would mean Serena, Lindsay, Jennifer. I don`t know if Venus would only go there to play doubles. :confused:
Rankings are the best way to do it, even if only one of the Williams can be nominated. In doubles it`s the same situation: Venus/Serena or Lindsay/Lisa Raymond. I think both teamed up again to get practice for the olympics. I also could imagine, Lindsay renounces...

We will have to wait till next year, I think... :sad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.