Tennis Forum banner

Will Martina be #1 by the YEC

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Possibly, more likely top 5

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Definetely Top Ten

Votes: 58 37.7%
  • She can't continue at her current rate of success, finishing out of the top 10

Votes: 10 6.5%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hearts: Despite doubts from practically everyone, Martina Hingis is quickly queiting many nonbelievers in this,the second part of her career. The way things are looking at the moment she has a great chance at being #1 by the end of the year...She has the most match wins of the year so far, has no points to defend whatsoever, and has been remarkably consistent already...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Actually, I clicked before reading the poll properly...

Will Martina be #1 by the YEC - NO!
Will Martina be #1 again - YES!

She'll make it to the top in 2007 if she can keep the injuries away.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I´d like to see a few more matches against top players before saying she will regain #1. A couple more matches against Henin/Sharapova/Dementieva/Clijsters and Mauresmo and we will know a lot better how she is doing.
Based on what we have seen so far I´d say definitely top 10 maybe even top 3.

·
The long and winding road.
50,744 Posts
She could be the #1, but only because she is possibly by far the most consistent player out there

·
Registered
838 Posts
SloKid said:
She could be the #1, but only because she is possibly by far the most consistent player out there
Euh, that's got to be Henin, I think.

Look at her results !

2 wins and one final this year

and now SF already.

Hingis doesn't come close to those kind of results.

Even Mauresmo and Kim are more consistent than Hingis.

What Hingis does better than those players, is that she plays a lot more tournaments.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If she gets to at least the quarterfinal or semifinal of every tournament she enters...

She is a good bet for the top 5. If she wins a couple of them, maybe top 3. If she wins at least a major, top 1.

·
The long and winding road.
50,744 Posts
rikvanlooy said:

Look at her results !

and now SF already.

What Hingis does better than those players, is that she plays a lot more tournaments.
Yeah, she is, but she is also very injury prone :shrug:

But look at Martina's results this year and especially look at the players she lost too:
GC-Pennetta
Sydney- Henin-Hardenne
AO-Clijsters
Tokyo-Dementieva
Dubai-Sharapova
Doha-Mauresmo
She lost only to players, who are in top ten, even top 5 with exception of Flavia and Elena and that after taking 3 years off. All I'm saying is that she is the kind of player that doesn't lose to lower ranked players :shrug:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rikvanlooy said:

Look at her results !

and now SF already.

She hasn't come close to those results YET...We will see...We will also see if Justine makes it through an entire season withour contracting a new illness, tearing her shoulder apart, or being hospitalized for a few months because of bleeding ulcers, P

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
she should get in top 5 easily

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Let's not forget that it's just 11 weeks since Martina made her comeback. She is far from her second career peak at the moment. That's why I say she can regain the world number 1 spot in 2007. This year top 5 would be a great result, I see her being ranked somewhere between 3 and 8. I say 3 because I can't see her catching Justine or Amelie this year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i dont think martina will be number one if she still played like that, somehow i feel that she have to learn to add more power to get the points quicker rather than rallying all the time. She has the brains but she needs power to complete her whole arsenal.

Maybe if all the top players injured, she can be no. 1 again

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
OK didnt read the question properly - iy would be really difficult for her to do it by the end of this yr prob top 5/10 this yr and no1 next yr if she can keep it up. :bounce:

·
Registered
795 Posts
TOP 5 ... for sure!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
possible, but not this year i think... top 10 or 5 this year...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Martina will be top 5 ... would love for her to somehow make it to number 1 but unless she wins the french (which im predicting she will) it will be pretty difficult.

·
Registered
143 Posts
She will be number one, its only a matter of time. And since she has no points to defend this year, why not?! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iloveMartinaHingis said:
She will be number one, its only a matter of time. And since she has no points to defend this year, why not?! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
That's how I feel...& it's obvious that she really wants it, so in that case it IS only a matter of time :D

Also, Am I the only one who thinks Martina throwing her racket this week has been a good thing? She is back in 100% competitive mode, P

·
Registered
143 Posts
PLP said:
That's how I feel...& it's obvious that she really wants it, so in that case it IS only a matter of time :D

Also, Am I the only one who thinks Martina throwing her racket this week has been a good thing? She is back in 100% competitive mode, P
Martina throwing her raquet is the cutest thing on earth :crazy:

'When I throw my raquet it helps me concentrate. It's just the way I am. It's better than to keep it inside.' - Martina Hingis :angel:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts