Tennis Forum banner

Will she win her first WTA title in Japan?

• YES!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • :tape:

Votes: 12 17.1%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
118,179 Posts
I hope so. Three tournaments since the U.S. Open. Won by Russians.
I want Moscow and Tokyo to be won by Russians also.

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
She doesn´t have a title yet?! I thought she already had a GS, so much hype is there about her!!

Reactions: selesfan

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
...she is not the first player to be '...hyped...' before she's won anything...I could name a few others...but I'll leave that to you...bandabou... :)

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
It would be nice to see her win but I think she could lose to Morigami in the second round tonight. When Akiko's in a stubborn mood she can be very tricky for these harder hitting girls ranked below the top 20.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
If she can get by Mpaperfolding, I see her at least in the final. I think Mpaperfolding will be her toughest match until then.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Why isn`t she playing Moscow? :confused:

I don`t think she is able to pass Ai Sugiyama... :)

·
Banned
635 Posts
I don't think she will.

Akiko should be a difficult match for her... and if she gets to final, I can't see her beating Ai in Japan, even though she's been struggling a bit of late.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Ai got taken to a third set TB by Yoshida, which isn't the best of signs for her title hopes.

Anyway, I agree with the consensus - if Masha can get by Akiko she should make the final, where she'd have a decent chance against Ai and an excellent chance against anyone else.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
H2H:

Qual 1 Charleston Apr 13 2003 M Sharapova - A Morigami(16) 7-5 5-7 6-4

Sharapova leads 1:0, but I believe Akiko has improved alot since!

·
Registered
34,284 Posts
I don't think she'll win it
her first tittle will come next year :p

·
Registered
24,432 Posts
well i don't think it's a matter of WHO she plays-- it's just HOW she plays.

some ppl say she's got too much hype-- but how many ppl know on this site that she was injured during the us open? wonder if she's okay...

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I dont think shes ready, but I hope she does.

·
Banned
635 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
well i don't think it's a matter of WHO she plays-- it's just HOW she plays.

some ppl say she's got too much hype-- but how many ppl know on this site that she was injured during the us open? wonder if she's okay...
I suppose she was injured for every other tourney she's played also...

Face the facts... Maria is NOT a top player now.

·
Registered
118,179 Posts
Can we see the Lena - Maria rematch in Quebec City?

·
Registered
24,432 Posts
uhhh, i was AT the us open, FYI-- and the only reason she didnt leave after her singles match was in case she felt better (she and lisa had a good chance at winning if maria got better). maria served not one serve over 75 mph against nav/kuzn and could hardly return the ball. whenever there was a float ball, she would yell "yours" wherever she was on the court since lisa had a better chance of putting the ball away-- and we all know this would not happen if maria wasn't injured... she also had the trainer a few times early on, but didnt call her back out in the later stages of the match bc it made no difference.

USE YOUR HEAD!

·
Registered
118,179 Posts
She means the Loit match. It was Loit who was lying on the ground in agony. Maria looked fine.

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maria is very much alive going to the quarterfinal after beating A.Morigami 6-1, 6-3. :woohoo:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Oh, I sure hope so!!! It would be so lovely, but I don't wanna jump ahead of myself here. Just one match at a time...and aiming for the best!!! :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts