Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(....or is the win just a flash in the pan?)

I think that if she continues to play as she did at Wimbledon, she's going to be very hard to beat for most players. She has almost visibly grown in stature throughout the tournament. She's developing an aura of dominance. Players could well be growing nervous about facing her. She was lucky not to meet Myskina, but no-one else was able to stop her.

From the 2nd set of Maria's match with Sugiyama in the quarters, I saw what seemed the key sign of a champion - an almost arrogant self-belief, combined with the determination to win. When she broke back, she gave Ai a look that said "okay. Now I'm going to make you sorry." And she did. She gave Ai a real pasting in the final set. I've seen that look from Serena a lot of times. Often followed by the same result.

In the Davenport match, again in the Second set, once she found she could go toe to toe with Lindsay, you could see her grow in confidence and belief that she could win. Again she ran away with the final set.

With Serena, Masha seemed to come out with the confidence that she could win, and roared away to a 6-1 first set. In the second, the only serve game she lost was one where she double-faulted and Serena got two lucky winners. One, a bad bounce, the other a shanked return that headed straight to the line. After that game Masha won the next 4 games to close out the match. again she was single-minded and had the weapons to defeat Serena.

So Masha has the shots. She's shown good mentality, and she is gaining the aura of someone who can dominate and run away with matches. will she do as well on other surfaces? Is she ready to dominate? Or will the others peg her back - and if so, who?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
It's hard to say.

Serena is the last active palyer who won her first Grand Slam as a teenager, but she didn't do much more until 2002 and that was because of her sister and Jennifer Capriati dominating the Slams and her sisters winning many of the other tournaments. The field seems to be stronger now than it was then and if she fails to at least get to the semifinals of the USO or win her next big tournament after today, some may question if she "just got lucky with a depleted draw" like her fellow Russian Myskina.

·
Premium Member
20,393 Posts
I think she has a good shot. She seems to handle the pressrue extremely well which is very important. To me she'll celebrate this win and then move on treating the next event with just as much determination.

I'm more curious to see how she stacks up to people with a lot of variety. I'd like to see her play Amelie or Justine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
well, i thin that we are going to see consistent results from her, semis, quarters, finals, wins...but i dont think she will be really dominating like winning everything just yet. I'd give it another year. haha

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
It's like saying that someone isn't successful unless they dominate from the first time they win. Weird. :retard:

Sharapova has just placed a lot of expectations on her shoulders. If she had distractions before, she can't even begin to imagine how many more she will have now. I hope she continues to focus entirely on tennis and think, live, and breathe tennis, because she still has a lot of improving and developing to do.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nope. On hard courts she's not s good, and how many tournaments does he have lft to play this year?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starr said:
It's like saying that someone isn't successful unless they dominate from the first time they win. Weird.
That's not what I'm saying. But SOME players have started to dominate not too long after their first big convincing wins. (Navratilova, Graf, Hingis, Serena etc). Others have had one big win and fallen back (Majoli, Conchita etc). I'm asking where in that line Maria falls?

I'm not suggesting she's never going to lose again, orthat she won't have a reaction and go out in round 1 of her next tournament even. But over the next year or so, will Masha dominate totally (No 1) or be someone who dominates most of her matches and gets to and remains in the Top 5, or fall back into the ranks?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Vass22 said:
Nope. On hard courts she's not s good, and how many tournaments does he have lft to play this year?
How do you know that?

The only time I saw her playing on the hardcourt was when she played Venus in that exebition and Venus wasn't even playing that well and she beat her though she was up 5-1 in the first set.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Well Venus won Wimbledon in 2000 and won 35 matches in a row so you never know, it's hard to say. I wouldn't think she would go on to dominate since competition is stiff, but who knows.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Hmmm....we´ll see. Thing is now people will see her a contender and then they´ll play even better against her. Will she be ready for that?!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There have been 3 different GS winners this year, I think the days of 1 or 2 players dominating are through, although Maria is a great player she does not quite yet have that aura of invincibility.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Knizzle said:
Well Venus won Wimbledon in 2000 and won 35 matches in a row so you never know, it's hard to say. I wouldn't think she would go on to dominate since competition is stiff, but who knows.
The only dfference will be that Maria can only play three more tournaments and she isn't going to be in Athens since her ranking was too low as of June 14 to qualify.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Doc said:
That's not what I'm saying. But SOME players have started to dominate not too long after their first big convincing wins. (Navratilova, Graf, Hingis, Serena etc). Others have had one big win and fallen back (Majoli, Conchita etc). I'm asking where in that line Maria falls?

I'm not suggesting she's never going to lose again, orthat she won't have a reaction and go out in round 1 of her next tournament even. But over the next year or so, will Masha dominate totally (No 1) or be someone who dominates most of her matches and gets to and remains in the Top 5, or fall back into the ranks?
Ok. Sorry I misunderstood you.

However, Serena didn't dominate right after her USO win. She fell back for a year or two and then came on strong.

·
Registered
24,165 Posts
im a fan of maria, but she may not dominate NOW, she'll have more wins than ever, and she'll improve as a player, but that doesn't mean she'll win the nest few grand slams. she'll need to play better than ever to win her second (in my opinion) and this tournament was the best i've seen her play, so it will take some time to improve. but i'd love to see her dominate, it may just come later. what's great for her is that she already has a slam as validation and if she works as hard as she has, there's no reason why she couldn't add more.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Just a couple of years ago everyone was saying that the Williams sisters were going to dominate tennis for the next decade and just a couple of years later that's all changed.

Whether they can rise again is debatable because I'm not sure that they are 100% committed to tennis any longer. Although the rest of the players have raised their game there's no doubt due to many reasons Venus and Serena are not match fit at the moment. The number of unforced errors they are making shows this.

If Serena and Venus really want it then they won't allow Sharapova to dominate. The other Russians and Sprem will also be in the mix up and it will be interesting to see how Justine and Kim react.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bandabou said:
Hmmm....we´ll see. Thing is now people will see her a contender and then they´ll play even better against her. Will she be ready for that?!
If she has good coaches.

But remember, Maria is already in her 2nd year on the tour - the year when traditionally everyone has learned how you play, and is gunning for you. Yet Maria has improved on her already good results last year.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
It all depends on whether she can maintain this level of play. I think she sort of played out of her head this Wimbledon. What I mean is, she hasn't played this well before (at least not throughout a tournament), and the key for her will be maintaining this level. Another thing that will catch up to her over time is that players will catch on to her game as they play her more. When a player first comes out, people don't know what to expect. As the women play Maria more, they will pick up on her patterns more (i.e. where she serves on big points, how her backhand usually goes crosscourt, etc.). It should also be noted that grass really helps Maria's power game.

If Maria can use this title as a stepping stone to really lift her game week-in and week-out, then she can at least be a threat for the #1 ranking. I think there are too many good players (Serena, Kim, Justine, Amelie, etc.) with too many different styles for any one player to dominate anymore...barring injuries, of course.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
jenglisbe said:
It all depends on whether she can maintain this level of play. I think she sort of played out of her head this Wimbledon. What I mean is, she hasn't played this well before (at least not throughout a tournament), and the key for her will be maintaining this level. Another thing that will catch up to her over time is that players will catch on to her game as they play her more. When a player first comes out, people don't know what to expect. As the women play Maria more, they will pick up on her patterns more (i.e. where she serves on big points, how her backhand usually goes crosscourt, etc.). It should also be noted that grass really helps Maria's power game.

If Maria can use this title as a stepping stone to really lift her game week-in and week-out, then she can at least be a threat for the #1 ranking. I think there are too many good players (Serena, Kim, Justine, Amelie, etc.) with too many different styles for any one player to dominate anymore...barring injuries, of course.
Very well said! Totally agree :D I doubt Maria will dominate (esp. now that the grass season is over) due to the greater depth at the top these days, but like you said, if she can keep up her level of play, she'll win a good amount of matches and certainly be a serious contender in most tournaments.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts