Tennis Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Hingiswinsthis said:
Yes, Monica was stabbed. Yes, Martina had a bad year last year. That doesn't matter.
Monica did not play more than two years after stabbing, Martina missed one (or two) month of competition because of her injury, that's not the same. Yeah she didn't have her best season, but she won some titles ... ;)

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Figure Monica is good for an average of 4 tournaments a year for three more years. Add 12 to her total. That gives her about a 23 tournament lead on Martina.

What's more indicative of Martina's performance, 2000 or 2001?

2000 - 9 tournament wins
2001 - 3 tournament wins

If 2001 is a normal year going forward, Martina will catch Monica in 2010.
If 2000 is a the more normal year, Martina will catch Monica in 2005.

To do it by the end of 2003, Monica would have to stop winning altogether, and Martina would have to win 12 tournaments in the next 18 months. Five more this year and seven next year would do it.

Five more this year and seven next year. Hmmmm....

Not hap'nin'

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Not by the end of 2003. I've heard people saying Martina will win 5-7 titles this year, but I cant see it happening. 5 at the most(sorry Tina, hope I'm wrong). The carpet tourneys like Zurich and Moscow could definately be hers, and the Sanex champs as well.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Thanks for putting it in perspective Volcana... :D

And Ryan... Serena and Lindsay might have something to say about who is gonna win the champs... ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
With Monica still got another 3-4 years left and Martina a good 12-13 years left I can see Martina passing her around about 2003/2004 season, and passing the 100 season about early to mid 2003.

Luv COuntess:kiss:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
martina will win 60 titles over the next year?;)

·
Registered
25,527 Posts
of course she will coz monica is already 28 andhingis only 21 :sad:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Martina will definitely pass Monica...no offence to Monica, I like her an all but Martina is too good not to pass Monica :D :hearts:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Marti has a great chance......it's withing reach. She's born to break existing records.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
328 Posts
"she should win at least 5-7 titles this year" c'mon BR Hingis is stuck with her injuries, nobody knows when she will be on action at all... how many titles she won this year so far, I remember only 2 - Sydney, Tokyo... u think she will manage to win 3-5 titles in remaining after her injuries time???

I think that Monica is playing very well nowadays, so it's not easy to catch her, coz she will continue to win titles, and Hingis has problem with health+many more problems, which we all know.

Hingis will definately pass Monica in titles but not before 2004 IMO.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm not so sure about GS though :confused:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I agree with Volcana.
If people think that Hingis is going to win 5-7 (7!!!) titles this year, well that is just not reasonable. And to think she would continue that pace is crazy as well. Her ranking is lower than it has been in years, which means she'll be meeting Jen and Venus and Serena and Kim earlier in tournaments, making it harder just to get to the finals, never mind winning them.
At the same time, I don't see monica winning a ton of titles each year either. So hingis will be winning more titles than Seles in the years to come.
so, yes, I think that Hingis will eventually pass Seles, but not for a about 3 years. And she'll NEVER pass Seles' grand slam total.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
FP said:
"she should win at least 5-7 titles this year" c'mon BR Hingis is stuck with her injuries, nobody knows when she will be on action at all... how many titles she won this year so far, I remember only 2 - Sydney, Tokyo... u think she will manage to win 3-5 titles in remaining after her injuries time???
FP

It's easy to make your post in hindsight. However, I made my post way back in February after Hingis had reached the finals of the AO and won her 2nd title of the year (Tokyo).

Sure she's injured right now, but had this been a normal year for her, three more titles would not have been unreasonable. Even so, it's still not improbable.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Monica has shown last year and this that she WILL play TIer II and Tier IV tournaments. So the odds are she'll definitely add to her total. Martina pretty much sticks to the Tier I's and II's, which are harder to win. (Of course, Monica plays her share of Tier I's and II's as well.)

But even at three tournaments a year, Martina will eventually catch Monica, simply because of the age disparity. This all assumes no early retirement on Martina's or Monica's parts of course.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well the game has moved on. I feel that now there is much more depth and so this will make it much harder for Martina to pass that number.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
my answer is NO

·
Registered
512 Posts
Who cares about little tournaments, the only thing that really counts is grandslams. Hingis will never catch monica there, hell i don't think hingis will ever win a slam again.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts