Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I looked at her point totals compared to Martina's, I certainly thought it was likely, with only a 4th round to defend compared to Martina's Final. Then it hit me: With Lindsay gone, Kim is now the 4th seed. She may seem a little shaky thus far, but she is in a sweetheart of a position. And yes, I promise to someday update the Net's very first Kim page.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The standings know are with the points already earned in sydney and without the Australian Open points

Kim Clijsters...... 3261 points
Martina Hingis... 3013 points

So Kim not necessarily have to do better at this 2 tournies to become number 4 after the AusOpen

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
are those point for Kim including the win she just had over Farina-Elia in Sydney? :) If not, then she is even closer to Hingis!

I was thinking it a while ago that it is very possible for Kim to become #4 after the AO, especially if Marti loses early.

Kim now has to play Justine in the QF's of Sydney, so if she wins that, she'll get some nice points! :)

HUP KIMMEKE! :)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
That`s great, if she would win the australian open, will she even raise higher then? :bounce:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Kim has a very high chance of being number 4. She doesn't even have to do better than Martina to be number 4!!

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
She doesn't have to do much to become #4, but it won't be easy to keep that ranking. Kim's clay season last year was far from good, so she could pick up a lot of points then. However, lots of points will fall off once Roland Garros starts.

·
20,610 Posts
Not really... she reached 2 slam QFs... won a Tier 2, reached a Tier 2 semis and a QF. I think it is after the US Open that she has a load of points to defend...

·
4,019 Posts
OK, that would be great, I wish them good luck...
But I don't think Kim will be in semi-finals at the AO, she isn't in great shape this week, but we'll see...
:bounce:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
She does have a chance but at least it's smaller than I would have thought at the end of last year when first of all it wasn't certain Martina would recover, and secondly Kim seemed to be playing better than she has done so far this year. To me it also seems a lot more likely that Martina will reach (at least) the semis in Sidney than Kim. Just hope she proves me wrong.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not that surprising that Kim is going to be #4, I expected that. What would be really surprising though, if someone told you this last year, would be to have Martina down to #5 with Monica and Serena still behind her.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
it's all about IFs...but this time indeed Kim has a good chance to switch places with Martina in the rankings...at Sydney, they're gonna play against each other in the SF...with a win there and with a good show at AO, Kim could put herself way out of reach from Hingis....
But again we're dealing with top5 players...everything is possible...even though she has not been yet really tested at Sydney, Martina's road to the SF has been preety good (easy 2 set-matches!)... my bet is that she will do well at AO..after all, she has been in the finals for the last 5 years!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts