Tennis Forum banner

Will Iga break the 21st century winning run record?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sensational Swiatek is now up to 26 consecutive wins.

Assuming no walkovers, Inspirational Iga needs to win her last two matches at Rome, all seven matches at RG, and her first match on grass, to reach 36 victories in a row - and therefore break Venus Williams' 21st century benchmark, set back in 2000.

Do you think she will do it?

• Love
Reactions: AndyG

·
Rise up from ignorance
23,170 Posts
Yeah, it is. XXI century started on January 1st, 2001.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
going a no.. think Iga loses at the French.. let me rephrase that. Doesn't lose.. is beaten. By Ons.. the gods of the draw determining when that match happens. I think Ons loses to Iga in Rome.. but gets revenge in Paris. By X's and O's I think they are a 50-50 matchup which is probably 30 points any other player on tour is getting versus Iga right now.

·
Registered
119,290 Posts
This event she still has Sabalenka and Jabeur
Then a major with a 28 match win streak
But looking at how crappy everyone is playing, she probably can do it

I was trying to figure who is a Paris contender, and Halep, Sakkari, Badosa, Kontaveit, Collins, they all are mediocre. I cant even find contenders besides these 3 left in Rome, and Ons was down bad today and I cant see Sabalenka winning this major
They all are so nervous

Swiatek's streak makes it interesting on the WTA side and as long as Nadal or Nole are alive, the mens side is historic

Reactions: M.A.S.L.

·
Rise up from ignorance
23,170 Posts
Mathematically yes, culturally it began on 01.01.2000.

Anyway this is not the point of the thread.
It is because Venus streak was set in XX century.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is because Venus streak was set in XX century.
If you'd prefer then, do you think Iga will set the longest winning streak in the 2000s?

Plus, 1st Jan 2000 was the start of the 21st century from a cultural perspective. Millions celebrated the start of the millennium on that date.

·
Rise up from ignorance
23,170 Posts
If you'd prefer then, do you think Iga will set the longest winning streak in the 2000s?

Plus, 1st Jan 2000 was the start of the 21st century from a cultural perspective. Millions celebrated the start of the millennium on that date.
If people can't count to 100 and can't tell a difference between 99 and 100 then their culture isn't worth a lot.

I voted in the poll already.

·
Registered
18,256 Posts
In relatively near future there will be a player who will break this record, but it won't be Iga.
Let me guess. It will be your daughter Knesia? :eek::scratch:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If people can't count to 100 and can't tell a difference between 99 and 100 then their culture isn't worth a lot.

I voted in the poll already.
The vast majority of people consider the 1980s to be 1980 - 1989, even if mathematically they should be 1981 - 1990, etc. It's just the way it is, I'm afraid.

But thanks for voting.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
The win streaks still above Iga's in the 2000s (excluding BYE's) according to Players winning streak and details :

35 Venus Williams (2000) (incl. Olympics)
34 Serena Williams (2013) (incl. FC matches)
33 Justine Henin (2007-8)
26 Victoria Azarenka (2012)
26ac Iga Swiatek (2022)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts