Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to see that Juan Carlos is playing again this week :eek: This is, what, the 3rd or 4th tournament in a row for him? After this week is 2 Masters Series events, which means he will play 5-6 weeks in a row leading up to Roland Garros. That is a lot of tennis!! I see him getting to the SF and maybe final, and all this tennis could catch up to him by then.

I really want Juan Carlos to win the French, and this all worries me :(

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
i don't think he'll be in good enough shape. he's playing way to much, and he's really good on clay so i mean he didnt need all of this preparation before hand.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Juan Carlos never gets tired.. :p

I bet he knows what he's doing, Maybe playing alot of tournys is what he thinks he needs to do.. non-stop. So therefore when the French rolls around he'll be ready to kick ass and win it! :D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm also quite surprised that he's playing this many tournaments. He is taking a rest in the most important week though: The week before the tournament start. It all depends on the players but I'm sure he could be OK with this one week of (Not everyone is a Williams ;) )

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Don't worry, he won't excel in all the tournies he plays, and I don't think he wants to either - I saw a clip of him tonight as he went to the net after losing to Safin last week in Barcelona, and he seemed quite cheery and philosophical about the defeat, as though he knew that playing two big clay-court finals back to back would have increased his chances of being overplayed.

Plus, of course, there is the distinct possibility that he will flail out in the early rounds of one of the next two Masters events, which is good news for those who want to see different faces this time round... although come to think of it, he didn't exactly stick around long in Rome and Hamburg last year, either.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Hendouble, he also wasn't healthy last year, but that's besides the point. If he does well in Rome I hope he pulls out of Hamburg or something, and if he loses early in both I could care less.

Ferrero ALWAYS plays a lot of tournaments. IN 2001 he won Estoril, Barcelona, Rome, and made the finals of Hamburg, and STILL made the semis...where he lost rather lamely. admittedly.

But if you look at his history, he's just doing what he always does, with one more tournament tacked in. Seeing as he didn't play Estoril, it actually evens out to the same number of tournaments.

My understanding from his interviews is that he wants to win Valencia, then figures his form will dip till RG.

But I repeat: what Ferrero is doing this year is realyl no different than in years previous. He's still never lost before the semis, schedule be damned.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Rebecca said:
Hendouble, he also wasn't healthy last year, but that's besides the point. If he does well in Rome I hope he pulls out of Hamburg or something, and if he loses early in both I could care less.
Isn't this what Agassi did last year? He won the Italian Open and then withdrew from Hamburg!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Sushi always starts out the season hot and then runs out of steam by RG. this year will be no different IMO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is such a schedule for Juan Carlos!! But clay season is where he mostly get the ranking points, will that be the reason? :confused:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
does he plays also the ARAG event in Dusseldorf?
No, he's taking that week off.

And I repeat.. this schedule is no heavier than any other season. It will only be different if he "fails" to lose early in the next two tournaments. He always plays this much, and usually has some early round losses thrown in to "even" it out.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Scorpion said:
This is such a schedule for Juan Carlos!! But clay season is where he mostly get the ranking points, will that be the reason? :confused:
No. This year is no different than any other, so it's not as if he's all of a sudden loaded up the clay events to make his ranking higher. If he wanted to do that he'd have been in Mexico and Argentina a couple months ago, and not playing Europe like he was. In fact, if it wasn't for the location of Valencia, I don't imagine that he'd have played that one at all, seeing as he hadn't played Mallorca since 1999 (when he won).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rebecca said:
No. This year is no different than any other, so it's not as if he's all of a sudden loaded up the clay events to make his ranking higher. If he wanted to do that he'd have been in Mexico and Argentina a couple months ago, and not playing Europe like he was. In fact, if it wasn't for the location of Valencia, I don't imagine that he'd have played that one at all, seeing as he hadn't played Mallorca since 1999 (when he won).
Let's hope he plays both Rome and Hamburg... I got him in all of my teams. It doesn't make sense if he wins Valencia and then bomb out in Rome..or Hamburg....
He's young.. he can play all day...all night... 24hrs a day... 365 1/4 days a year....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rebecca said:
I hope that you are right, but will not be dissapointed if he loses early in say...Hamburg ;)
You won't be disappointed... but I WILL BE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED...
I am hoping to get into the top 10 of atp fantasy comp .. and JCF is gonna help me... I hope :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rebecca said:
Say, did you buy Coria? I forget
Yeah, I got Coria and Gaudio in all of my teams... my top 10 are...

JCF, Moya, Costa, Gaudio, El Aynaoui, Kuerten, Calleri, Robredo, Coria...

and I'm tossing up b/w Andre, Roger, Safin and Hewitt .. these 4 guys cost a lot of money.... 2.7-3million..

Who do u think I should pick out of the 4 for Rome, Hamburg, and RG....?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts