Tennis Forum banner

Will Elise Mertens ever reach a GS Singles Final?

• Yes

• No

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we've been seeing recently, Elise is a solid and consistent player who is frequently able to make deep runs into Grand Slams. This 2020, she got to the second week of two out of the three majors (AO 4th Round; US Open QF). She still hasn't been able to repeat her AO 2018 performance, where she reached the semi-finals, losing to Wozniacki in straight sets. This year's results are proof that Elise's career is far from over, but will her game ever be enough for her to get to a major singles final, let alone win a Slam?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Why not???...Ostapenko has a slam...so, it’s certainly possible...

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
It's possible, but it will take the stars aligning. I don't think she's capable of beating any of the power hitters in the Top 15, but has shown she can beat the top players who won't blow her off the court like Svitolina or Kenin and is VERY good at taking advantage of a draw opening up. Under the right circumstances, why not?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't think it's likely, but she's so steady that if a draw collapses, there's no one more likely to take advantage. She's actually shown flashes in some matches against top players of completely changing her game plan and being super aggressive, and it usually works in spurts where she looks like a top five player, but she can never sustain it for the whole match. If she can figure out how to raise her level consistently I still think she has the potential to be a top player, but she's running out of time to make that leap.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I don't see her winning a slam but I she can definitely see her make the final. She is consistent and made 2nd week on multiple occasions. She definitely can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Whenever I question myself if a player will win a slam, I remember Ostapenko. She reminds me anything is possible in the WTA
I think Osty had the advantage at Roland Garros in 2017 that the other players didn't know her game very well and they and their coaches hadn't worked out how to counter it effectively. Elise is a more experienced player whom the other players know much better, so she won't have the same advantage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts