Tennis Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Barty by being good in all surfaces, having that great serve (both first and second) to tide her over periods where her ground strokes go awry, and general variety and layers to her game will help her be consistent throughout the year.

She also seems to avoid injuries mostly, of course by playing not too many singles tournaments, but she also played a lot of doubles matches, so maybe that strategy works for her.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
This year was okay for a #1 player: One GS-title plus YEC. But no other Grand Slam final or semi final.
Yes, it was more consistant than any player in recent years.
But please remember Graf, Seles or Navratilova. They barely lost any matches!

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
It's a weird mix of feeling for me because Barty's game doesn't scream No.1 to me yet she somehow managed to stay relevant throughout the year, and won big titles like Miami, RG and now YEC. One of those situations where I have to admit I don't see it, but it's going on.

·
Registered
112,702 Posts
If you asked one year ago, who would be YE #1 and PotY for 2019, I would have named at least 10 before Barty. I dont know if she can win more big titles and stay #1 for years, but she seems to be physically tough with good movement, and you need both of those to last near the top
It was an amazing breakout year. Same for Andreescu, who started in New Zealand qualies
Osaka also played well when she was in form, all 3 are young and have years ahead
I'm interested to see how 2020 goes. These 3, Serena. and other contenders like Halep & Kvitova (who were in the last 2 AO finals), and several others like Pliskova, Svitolina, Bencic, all have a chance
It should be a good 2020 with 3 generations. The young stars, the veterans nearing 30 and Serena at 38

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
This was from a while ago, and I take your point in that the #1 is, in theory, the favorite in every match.

But, more to the point, Barty simply doesn't lose to players who aren't already at least somewhat dangerous.
I had to chop off the rest of your post otherwise my post will be too long.

The days of a Clijsters or a Sharapova or a Serena being a legitimate threat in every single tournament is not something you can expect these days. I think Halep got close a few years ago but never as #1. I haven't seen anything from any current #1 that suggests we're going to get back to those days. So the answer is no, Ash will not be one of the most consistent #1s in history. Do we really think she can string together a season that matches up to Serena 2013 or Justine 2007 or Hingis 1997? Those are the #1s I look to when we say "consistent #1," because a #1 should constantly winning.

But if we reassess that based on what consistency looks like today, I don't think Ash has to be that dominant. If she can complete a season where she's at least in the SFs of 12/17 tournaments, winning 4/17 tournaments (including a couple of Tier Is), making the SFs of 2/4 slams then yeah I would say that's a level of consistency should be applauded today. (and I wouldn't even expect that player to win a slam.) Because no one since Azarenka has done that (obviously bar Serena).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had to chop off the rest of your post otherwise my post will be too long.

The days of a Clijsters or a Sharapova or a Serena being a legitimate threat in every single tournament is not something you can expect these days. I think Halep got close a few years ago but never as #1. I haven't seen anything from any current #1 that suggests we're going to get back to those days. So the answer is no, Ash will not be one of the most consistent #1s in history. Do we really think she can string together a season that matches up to Serena 2013 or Justine 2007 or Hingis 1997? Those are the #1s I look to when we say "consistent #1," because a #1 should constantly winning.

But if we reassess that based on what consistency looks like today, I don't think Ash has to be that dominant. If she can complete a season where she's at least in the SFs of 12/17 tournaments, winning 4/17 tournaments (including a couple of Tier Is), making the SFs of 2/4 slams then yeah I would say that's a level of consistency should be applauded today. (and I wouldn't even expect that player to win a slam.) Because no one since Azarenka has done that (obviously bar Serena).
Hahaha, no worries, I do that a ton myself.

I think you are spot on. The depth of the tour is such that losing to a player ranked in the 20s is no longer a massive upset. The days where Lori McNeil beating Steffi Graf in the Wimbledon 1st round was front page news are long over. Nowadays, we would flag that match for upset watch immediately. Not only because the tour is deeper, but also we know more about players in the lower rungs of the top 50, and so we view a lot of them as capable of an upset because we actually have some knowledge of their game.

·
Registered
50,705 Posts
Yes, could be :p

Barty is already VERY consistent compared to most other WTA players.

She is mentally incredibly strong, handles pressure very well.
She is a very fast and very good mover.
She has one of the best serves, if not the best.
Her forehand, backhand slice and net game are excellent.
She is one of the smartest players too.
All these many advantages make her so successful and consistent.

The future will tell. Can she keep this high level, success and consistency in 2020 ?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Shorty Barty's big serve!!!
For a little 5'5 short girl to have such a big serve is extremely unusual.
Barty is #3 on the year end ace list, right behind the giants Ka Pliskova and Bertens.
All the other top ten players on the ace list are 5'9 to 6'1.
-
Barty's big serve is what gives her the edge over the other short players,
and her short player movement gives her an edge over the slow tall players.
She also has good groundies.
Combined, this makes Barty very difficult to beat, but not impossible.
Barty's main drawback is her emotions. When she overpowers the opp into a weak position, she tends to over hit the winner shot and makes an error.
-
And she has a belly full of Vegemite!!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice to see this thread was dug up by someone months later. She seems to have solidified her spot at the top of the game for sure now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think she has the game and the mentality to be consistent, but from the start of year she will be seen as the #1 for the first time IMO. She was battling with Osaka until asian swing and even Andreescu was perceived as a virtual #1 by the year she had. Now it´s clear Barty is the world number 1 and she will have to defend that and the pressure at home. Let´s see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I think she has the game and the mentality to be consistent, but from the start of year she will be seen as the #1 for the first time IMO. She was battling with Osaka until asian swing and even Andreescu was perceived as a virtual #1 by the year she had. Now it´s clear Barty is the world number 1 and she will have to defend that and the pressure at home. Let´s see how it goes.
Both Bianca and Naomi won their home tournaments this year, and when there was pressure on them... Now it’s Ash’s turn.

She’s a very good player... But it’s going to take a lot more time to convince many that she’s a number 1 player...

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
She’s a very good player... But it’s going to take a lot more time to convince many that she’s a number 1 player...
Maybe they should 'look at the scoreboard'. She's held the #1 position now for six months longer than 'many' predicted after her RG win. And will probably continue to hold it until at least the start of the 2020 clay-season.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
She is still nowhere near the standard of many legends of the game, but she has some similarities...

Players who have won RG and their next event on British grass:

Ashleigh Barty
Serena Williams
Justine Henin
Stefanie Graf
Martina Navratilova,
Chris Evert
Margaret Court
Evonne Goolagong won the 1971 French on her first try and then Wimbledon a few weeks later over BJK and the Crazy Reverend, so add her to the above.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Evonne Goolagong won the 1971 French on her first try and then Wimbledon a few weeks later over BJK and the Crazy Reverend, so add her to the above.
But she did not win her next event after the French - the John Player (round robin) Champs in Nottingham (on grass) - where she finished 2nd to Court.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I’d be surprised if she loses the ranking before the French.

I don’t think the home pressure will bother her either.

Her mentally mixed with her complete game that will only get better, is gonna keep her top 5

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Maybe they should 'look at the scoreboard'. She's held the #1 position now for six months longer than 'many' predicted after her RG win. And will probably continue to hold it until at least the start of the 2020 clay-season.
She’s taken advantage of some really lucky draws, injuries to other players, and draws falling apart...

And, that will continue now that she is highly ranked and a consistent enough player to take advantage of her high ranking by winning the matches she is suppose to win, and won’t have to face top players until the very end of tournaments...

And maybe not at all given how draws continue to fall apart... She is solid enough to actually make good on her ranking for some time...

·
Registered
880 Posts
She’s taken advantage of some really lucky draws, injuries to other players, and draws falling apart...

And, that will continue now that she is highly ranked and a consistent enough player to take advantage of her high ranking by winning the matches she is suppose to win, and won’t have to face top players until the very end of tournaments...

And maybe not at all given how draws continue to fall apart... She is solid enough to actually make good on her ranking for some time...
All this says is that the rest of the tour is terribly inconsistent but I also think you might be exaggerating a little.

·
Premium Member
26,511 Posts
Yes all that says is that the other top players aren’t consistent enough. The WTA will be praying Barty continues to be consistent + Osaka becoming more consistent and Andreescu stays injury free. It would be awesome to have a big 3 fighting it out for slams and big titles all year long. All with different styles, looks and personality.

Ain’t nobody got time for Halep, Svitolina and Pliskova...they can be the support act.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

Congrats for realising that all top players have the luxury of easy early rounds.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts