Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this for awhile now leading up to today when she finally became #1. We have seen her extreme talent on all three surfaces at this point in her early career and I envision her being one of the most consistent World #1s WTA has ever seen.

Yes, Serena was once great on all three surfaces and I am not saying she will ultimately have a better career than her, but I have to admire Barty’s consistency on all surfaces and I think she will be incredibly tough to beat for many years to come.

I know it is a big question at this point, but.... Does anyone else feel she will become one of the most consistent World #1s to ever play WTA tennis?

I never post here on GM, so be nice. :lol:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I say yes because she seems so mentally stable. Nothing really bothers her and she’s not prone to outbursts. She can keep her emotions in check, which is a huge strength. She also carries a manly kind of confidence and coolness about her, which none of the other female players have

·
Registered
30,771 Posts
She is handling her rise and opportunities very well in the past month, and really this whole year. Nevertheless, she previously had to take a break from tennis because she couldn't handle it and was known as a major choker until recently. I question whether the pressure will get to her sooner or later because she still looks susceptible to that. But we will see.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Sometimes she gets back and arm injuries because of her serve, she doesn't have the height to bluff through aces. The pressure of being number is also a bit different, she won't only run to the courts to practice, there are PR events, and whatever her agent has up his sleeve. Surely she won't end up with only Vegemite and Fila. I also want her to take on Serena like she did Sharapova.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I can see her being as consistent as Halep was, maybe even Azarenka

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lol she isn't even officially #1 until tomorrow...Maybe pump the breaks a bit on her being "one of the most consistent #1's."

Being #1 is much different than not being it. Much higher expectations of you not only on the tennis court but off of it. Every player is going to be hunting you down. The pressure is much higher.

She's had a great year so far but that's really all it is. A great year. So let's see her back it up before giving her a title that would make her one of the best to ever play.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Steffi, Martina and Chrissie were all VERY consistent.
Barty won't be more consistent than them, so no she won't be one of the most consistent number ones in history.

WTA is different now anyway. All the players are working to the same science so it's going to be difficult for one player to be the most dominant.
It will take someone with very special talent and strength to beat everyone ALL the time.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
She has a better chance than many of these 'dime-a-dozen' #1s we have seen in the last 15 years because her game has variety and she is constantly striving to add another dimension to her tennis.

And she doesn't get distracted by her own fame/other interests,

But only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
She is still nowhere near the standard of many legends of the game, but she has some similarities...

Players who have won RG and their next event on British grass:

Ashleigh Barty
Serena Williams
Justine Henin
Stefanie Graf
Martina Navratilova,
Chris Evert
Margaret Court

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol she isn't even officially #1 until tomorrow...Maybe pump the breaks a bit on her being "one of the most consistent #1's."
This thread is basically a prediction thread. Given what we have seen, is she capable of becoming one of the most consistent #1s? Nowhere did I say she will be, but I think it is an interesting topic of discussion given her talent on all surfaces and some of the other points made in this thread.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well here is the standard for historical consistency at #1. I have no idea if Barty can do better. Would I bet on it? No.

Top 5 Consecutive Weeks at #1
Serena/Steffi (tied) 186
Martina 156
Chrissie 113
Steffi (again) 94
Seles 91

Top 5 Total Weeks at #1
Steffi 377
Martina 332
Serena 319
Chrissie 260
Hingis 209

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In the past 52 weeks, she's lost to just three players ranked below her at the time of the match:

Mladenovic at Rome 2019
Sabalenka at Wuhan 2018
Azarenka at Tokyo 2018

Edit: in fact, going even further back, the losses to lower ranked players are similarly sparse.

S. Williams at Roland Garros 2018
Pavlyuchenkova at Strasbourg 2018
Sharapova at Rome 2018
Sakkari at Indian Wells 2018
Osaka at Australian Open 2018
Tsurenko at Brisbane 2018

She's gotten very, very good at beating players she's meant to beat.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yeah i hope she keeps the number one stat lll
And hope my fave plays pressure free after losing the ranking and wins one slam per year. That will be more than amazing as she has spend over 20 weeks at number one. Even venus had 11 weeks but she has 7 slams which is way better than number of weeks total of halep or wozniacki. I would rather have my fave add slams over number of weeks at number one!

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Exactly...we need to wait and see how Barty does mentally vs the big name players and players she has a negative h2h with

Question marks remain.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I don’t think she will dominate the tour but at this point it’s looking as though she will be at least more consistent than her predecessor, given that’s not a much of challenge mind you.

It would be nice to see a world no.1 that doesn’t lose 6/4 6/2 and 6/2 6/3 to players ranked well outside the top 20 so I’m hoping Ashleigh will be at least consistent, if not spectacular.

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
She has been consistent for quite a while now, more consistent than usual in this "deep" era, but I think it is stretching too far for that assumption.

Evert and then Navratilova won everything left and right for years, so did Graf. If she proves to be that consistent for another 52 weeks, I am willing to talk.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
To second what everyone's said, Chris Evert played 56 majors and lost before the SFs only 4 times (twice in the QF), so it's a tough task.

In fact, it would be an interesting exercise to go through the list of YE #1 players to see what their results were that season. # of losses, slam record, # of titles, etc. Don't have the time now, but I'll make a project of it sometime soon.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Hard to say. So far she is very consistent against scrubs and lower-ranks mostly, but when it's come to the top players, she doesn't have much success against them.

Time will tell when she has to face them weeks after weeks.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts