Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the American and european player dominating the tennis right now but i wonder its very weird if the Asians dominating and put their name at top 10 world players :) Like womans badminton which is dominating by China's player, will Asia grow up it's player to start the controversy in tennis?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I would be happy with more Asians just being in the game right now. I think they excel in things like badminton and table tennis and not tennis because they are smaller people on average, and in tennis size is important. Also Asians place a lot of importance on education so they are more likely to finish school or university before joining the tour, so they waste some years doing that. I dont think Asia will be a major force in tennis but definitely there has to be improvement on what they are doing now.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice analysis :) Yeah school is more important ;)

·
Spaghetti Warrior
6,944 Posts
well if Belgium can be a major factor in tennis ;)... I'm sure one day some Asian girl will rise up and do some great things :)

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
hard to compete against the tradition but i wouldn't mind seeing Asian ruling both women and men tennis

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
Unfortunately they can't.. not at this moment.. :sad: There are some are really improving though and they might just give some challenges to those top 20!!

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LMFAO *picks self off of floor*

nawwww. the next few generations belong to the Russians :D

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a stronger Asian presence in the upper echelons at some point. Top 50, top 30, etc. Not too long ago, Japan had 5 or 6 top 30 players at the same time.

But they'll have to make sure they don't wear them down with national commitments on top of the tour schedule.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I think Widjaja will be up there and I also hope that Asagoe and Obata get up there soon! PLEASE!!

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
And Cho she will be up there!!

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
there's sugiyama, widjaja, tanasugarn, and cho. they all have what it takes to at least be in the top 30. asian tennis will soon improve and i bet that there will be an asian in the top 10 in about 5 years.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
iroda has top 10 talent, if hsieh can get back to her old self there might be another top 30 talent on their hands maybe even top 20. cho has the talent to be top 25 as does suyigama and widjaja and tanasugarn have top 30 talent. so imo asian tennis is on the rise. if iroda was to make the top 10 then i think it would suddenly sky rocket.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
asian players are normally smaller in size which is a disadvantage for something like tennis.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
true asians are usually smaller in size but i think that is starting to change. asians are getting bigger so it's just a matter of time before they step up in the tennis world. although i just hope it doesn't change to much before they can make their run.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Odd isn't it You have to have wits, coordination, eyesight and fast reflexes to play Badminton/table tennis etc. On the other hand there are precious few Asian olympic sprinters, jumpers, middle distance runners or hurdlers which suggests something. But it can't be a matter of build entirely as we have the japanese players who have done well. Must be something to do with lack of tennis interest in India, China and Japan too - which implies that there might be some excellent players out there hiding in such large populations. Whether they will take up the sport and prove competitive with the athletic East Europeans is questionable - though the new Asian tournaments might help raise the status of tennis.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Well.. with my days behind, I truly believe an asian girl who's as good as me will never show herself soon.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to see, someday, an Asian player competing for the top in Women's Tennis. After all, as Justine Henin-Hardenne is proving, you don't have to be all big and tall to be a top 5 player in tennis. We all know the Asian players are usually the fastest... there just has to be one who can combine speed with power to become a top 10 or top 5 player.

·
Registered
24,830 Posts
if there were more grass court events probably

but at the moment and for the next 3 to 5 years there is nobody who can reach the top 10. Not a Widjaja, not a Asagoe nor Obata or Hsieh.
Akiko Morigami seems to be very good at the moment

1 - 20 of 29 Posts