Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will 5-Time Champs Roger & Venus Be seeded #1 at Wimbledon despite their rankings?

At the All England Club, they have reserved the right to seed players however they want, because grass is such a special surface and is only played mostly in one month out of the year.

Venus got a boost in her seeding in 2007, but it wasn't much; and she won the whole tournament. 2008, Wimbledon went according to the rankings, and Venus was seeded 7th, and she still won.

Now 2-time defending and 5-time Wimbledon Champion(the most decorated grass court player of this generation) has a chance to repeat. Do she deserve to be seeded
NUMERO UNO?

As for Roger, he has been in the last 6 Slam finals at SW-19, winning five of them(IN A ROW!!). The shock loss last year to now #1 Nadal was a blow to his plan of passing Bjorn Borg's 5 in-a-row. Roger, being the clear dominate force on grass, will he maintain his #1 seeding?

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Re: Will Venus Be seeded #1 at Wimbledon despite her possible Non-#1 ranking?

Maybe number 2, after Serena. :shrug: Considering how great a grasscourter Serena is too...

·
和平.
16,963 Posts

no, and i don't think they should move her up.
that made sense when she was ranked very low but i don't like when seeds don't correspond to the rankings.

i'd like for her to be seeded 2 if Serena's seeded 1 though.

·
Registered
114,799 Posts

Nadal has never been seeded 1 at FO where he's never lost a match

·
Registered
84,762 Posts

Venus will win FO and some other events and then be #1 ranked just after French Open and then she'll be #1 seed.:worship:

·
Registered
12,969 Posts

Nadal has never been seeded 1 at FO where he's never lost a match
RG never changes the seeds they base them on rankings, yet Wimbledon does at times :shrug:

anyway no she won't, i think they will follow the rankings (i believe/hope she be very inside the top 5 till then so don't think they will)

·
Registered
10,190 Posts

She'll be seeded #2 and there's no excuse she shouldnt be.

No way she should be seeded #1 unless she wins RG and a couple of other titles beforehand (which I think is VERY unlikely). You can't put someone ahead of a player who is holding 2 slam titles and reached the Wimby final last year.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

No but the All England Lawn & Tennis Club should seed her number 2 only if Serena is still number 1. If Serena is not number 1, Venus should remain at her WTA ranking if she is above 5 or 6.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts

If she is in the top 4 it is very likely she will be seeded 2 if serena is 1, there is no way they can bump her ahead of serena.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts

At the All England Club, they have reserved the right to seed players however they want, because grass is such a special surface and is only played mostly in one month out of the year.
Forget the 'because'. They're the all England Club and they do whatever they want.
Venus got a boost in her seeding in 2007, but it wasn't much; and she won the whole tournament. 2008, Wimbledon went according to the rankings, and Venus was seeded 7th, and she still won.

Now 2-time defending and 5-time Wimbledon Champion(the most decorated grass court player of this generation) has a chance to repeat. Do she deserve to be seeded NUMERO UNO?
No.

If she's #3, They might move her up to #2. And if she's #5, I expect to see her moved up to #4. This is, essentially, what they did with Steffi Graf and Lindsay Davenport in ... dang. What year in the late 90's was that?

Anyway, I can see a one spot move happening, if it gets her to a higher 'level'. #9 to #8, #5 to #4, #3 to #2. But they didn't move her last year, so I don't expect a #7 to #4, #5 to #2 kind of move.

Anyway, I'm way more interested in where Mauresmo and Sharapova get seeded. Sharapova may not even be seeded on her ranking, if she doesn't play, and do well at, Indiam Wells.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts

I think when they do change the seedings, they only base it on the last couple of years anyway, so the fact she won it 5 times is not relevant as some of them were a long time ago.

I think if she is going to be bumped up, it should be at least top 4.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So even though she is 2-time defending champion, she should still be #2 or lower? Even though she took out Serena last year?:confused:

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts

#2 seed. Her only ranking can only go up from its current #5. She will probably be #4 after RG. Wimbledon will want to serve its best interests and bump Venus to 2.

It was not necessary to bump Venus last year since they were both in the same interval [5-8] and a SF was the earliest possible meeting.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts

If she is in the top 4 it is very likely she will be seeded 2 if serena is 1, there is no way they can bump her ahead of serena.
I agree. It's not simply about numbers. It's about the draw and the possibility of match ups between players. There are many factors at play, so it's too early to predict what's going to happen.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts

Doesn't matter where she is seeded. Venus has proved that at Wimbledon at least, rank is irrelevant. I hope that she will have moved into the top four by then at least though, so that she and Serena won't have be able to meet at least until the semis.

BTW, the one time she was seeded #1, she lost.:sad:

Reactions: mauresmofan

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts

Venus vs Serena QF :drool::devil:

Anyway Venus has a pretty good chance to reach top4 before Wimbledon if she decides to do something noteworthy on clay.

·
Banned
7,113 Posts

Forget the 'because'. They're the all England Club and they do whatever they want.
No.

If she's #3, They might move her up to #2. And if she's #5, I expect to see her moved up to #4. This is, essentially, what they did with Steffi Graf and Lindsay Davenport in ... dang. What year in the late 90's was that?

Anyway, I can see a one spot move happening, if it gets her to a higher 'level'. #9 to #8, #5 to #4, #3 to #2. But they didn't move her last year, so I don't expect a #7 to #4, #5 to #2 kind of move.

Anyway, I'm way more interested in where Mauresmo and Sharapova get seeded. Sharapova may not even be seeded on her ranking, if she doesn't play, and do well at, Indiam Wells.
Agreed. She won't be given number 1 unless she is ranked number 1 before the draw.

They will only move her if it changes her seed if it means a change in 'level' or 'seed bracket', like Volcana explained above.

·
Most Loved Member
11,182 Posts

Last year they stopped using a formula to determine the seeds and simply went by ranking. I doubt they will go back to the formula.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

it doesn't matter

·
Registered
40,091 Posts

For me, what is important is that Venus and Serena are seeded in opposite sides of the draw.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts