Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 2003 become the year of the "real" Serena Slam?

I think that she can do it! She as already won the Aussi Open. I know Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters and Venus have many chances too but Serena does "it" again and again! What do you think?

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Whatzup said:
Will 2003 become the year of the "real" Serena Slam?

I think that she can do it! She as already won the Aussi Open. I know Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters and Venus have many chances too but Serena does "it" again and again! What do you think?
I think Venus will take back Wimbledon at least this year. I don't think she can stomach another year of losing Grand Slams to Serena.

·
Registered
18,399 Posts
Opposition is strong for the French Open. Hungry players want it and would be damned not to try.

Justine can definitely win French Open with just about the same odds as Serena. Clijster is a finalist, Capriati is a finalist, and Lindsay has made a fabulous start to her clay season.

For Wimbledon again there's Justine and Lindsay and Venus Williams.

US Open might be another she can win.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
No..

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Capriati is a former champion at RG, shaf.

I think Serena COULD do it, but I feel that Serena has lost somewhat of a grip on ehr domination of the past 12 months. Or maybe the competition is more determined. Serena def. can do it, but if she does, I would be surprised.

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
IMO, if her level stays up then she can do it again. When her game is on their is noone who can out hit her. I think she is most vulnerable at the French so this gives the Belgians and others a chance. However, if Serena can be patient and determined I don't see who will stop her besides the Queen.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Im not sure Im not going to count her out I think she'll defo win the USO but I think Justine/cappy will take the french and I think Venus will win wimbledon too :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
she already has a real serena slam she does not have a calendar grand slam but who cares? Anyone who holds all four slams at the same time in their living room is a grand slam champion. No matter if it doesn't happen in a calendar year. Is not a year 12 months?

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Keith said:
Capriati is a former champion at RG, shaf.

I think Serena COULD do it, but I feel that Serena has lost somewhat of a grip on ehr domination of the past 12 months. Or maybe the competition is more determined. Serena def. can do it, but if she does, I would be surprised.
:confused: Lost grip on who over the last 12 months? Did anyone expect her to go undefeated last year and this year? She has had about 6 loses since her domination, now I wouldn't call that losing grip.

Maybe Capriati losing the 1st round at the AO this year, and losing in the qtrs of Wimby and the USO is what you can call losing grip.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I say she can, but the French is really her only hurdle. As much as Venus is good on the green stuff, serena showed me last year, that with her serve opperating wonderfully on the grass, even venus couldn't handel it, for the grass makes it even more of a weapon than ever. And the usopen, no one can right now hang with serena on hardcourt with her level up. and i don't believe in people catching up with her in a couple months so she will still be the high favorite by the time the usopen rolls around.

what im excited about is, i knew the day would come when we would talk about a williams accomplishing something like this, and all the haters out there just rollin they eyes :)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
SerenaSlam:

The thing with Wimbledon last year, is that Venus wasn't serving like she normally does. Her fastest serve speed was around 110 mph. If Venus had served, or this year if they meet, her normal 120 plus CONSISTENTLY, she would probably beat Serena. It's too hard getting that speed back consistently on grass. Davenport [2000/2001] and Henin [2001/2002] talked about it for 2 years.

·
Registered
18,399 Posts
harloo said:
IMO, if her level stays up then she can do it again. When her game is on their is noone who can out hit her. I think she is most vulnerable at the French so this gives the Belgians and others a chance. However, if Serena can be patient and determined I don't see who will stop her besides the Queen.
What I don't understand is that you say Venus is the only one you can see stopping her but in the last 4 GS Venus didn't. And in the past 3matches between Serena and Justine; Justine is leading 2-1; And Kim defeated her at the Tour Champs. So I don't think Venus will be the one to do even if Serena can learn to be more patient on clay.

·
Banned
7,262 Posts
No

For me it looks like her best years are already behind her (I know, she is still good)

Is it only me that thinks that her movement will get only worse from now on...

(it is possible that she gets real slam)

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
However Shap_half, you must take into consideration...!!!

shap_half said:
What I don't understand is that you say Venus is the only one you can see stopping her but in the last 4 GS Venus didn't. And in the past 3matches between Serena and Justine; Justine is leading 2-1; And Kim defeated her at the Tour Champs. So I don't think Venus will be the one to do even if Serena can learn to be more patient on clay.
:cool: ...the wins that Justine and Kim had over Serena were not in the "slams"...as Venus was her "only" opponent!!! It's in the "trenches", so to speak where the difference is...!!! And, it'll be at the "slams" where the true test of who can defeat Serena will be determined!!!

People don't give Venus the "credit" she deserves for having been the finalist in the last four slams. Wherein, Justine and Kim were practically compared to the "second coming of Christ", for just having been in the French finals for Kim and the Wimby finals for Justine.

Anyway, for my money, it'll be Venus as the one to stop Serena's run for the true "Grand Slam". Mark my words...!!!

Kim and Justine have yet to meet Serena in the finals of a slam...!!!

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
shap_half said:
If you reread my post, I did say the belgians and others have a chance. Also get the h2h straight, If I'm not mistaken their h2h's is 4-2 Serena. Justine beat Serena in Rome, and in Charleston. Justine is good on clay, but IMO if they meet up it will all come down to how many mistakes Serena makes. JMO.

Anyways, noone is safe in a slam even Serena. Also, both Justine and Kim can go out early also so don't get to antsy.

Venus is the one who has gotten to those slam finals, and at the AO she was close. I will put my money on her, but that's my opinion. You are entitled to your own. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If Serena is at her best, she can only be beaten by two people (if they are also at their best): Justine on clay, and Venus on grass. If Venus' first serve is on, she can outserve her; Justine can outplay her on clay. Maaaaybe Amelie on clay as well... but Amelie never does well at RG anyway, so I doubt she'll challenge there.

So basically, if Justine and Venus don't do it, it really is all down to Serena playing a stinker of a match.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
If she wins the French, then probably.

I don't see any of the other players beating her at Wimbledon or US open if she's playing well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts