Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*edit* Capucine Rousseau has been awarded the French WC, after original recipient Stephanie Cohen-Aloro made the main draw after the withdrawal of Paola Suarez....

The Wildcards confirmed so far are

Evie Dominikovic (winner of Uncle Toby's Challenger Series Race)
Cindy Watson (winner of WC play off tournament)
Sania Mirza (Asian WC)
Capucine Rousseau (French WC)

4 still to be determined.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,389 Posts
With Paola Suarez withdrawn, Stephanie has moved into the main draw and Rousseau now has the French WC :)

I expect that Ferguson and Dellacqua are sure to get main draw WC's, and I think Jaslyn Hewitt should get one having won a 25k title a couple months ago and 2 good efforts against Koukalova and Sfar the past 2 weeks. That leaves 1 more, which I think is really up for grabs. Ideally Welford would get it given her rank and winning a 25k title too, but her showing in qualies this week was quite poor and TA seems to pick some odd choices with young players. Wouldn't be surprised if someone like Daniella Dominikovic was chosen over Welford, but will have to see how this week's main draw wildcards do. :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Wow, I thought Youlia Fedossova had a shot at the French WC.

I agree with Randy. Sophie, Casey and Jaslyn will most likely get one each for the main draw. None of the Aussies are exactly performing well above expectations to deserve one. Is there a player who has either excelled in or just left the junior ranks in 2004 that might receive one? Or is that back to Tiffany Welford again? I reckon it's hers based on ranking.

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
45,644 Posts
I once read one this forum that dokic could get one of theses WC, no news about this ?

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
Wildcards for 2005 Australian Open are as follows:

Main Draw

1-Evie Dominkovic
2-Cindy Watson
3-Sania Mirza
4-Capucine Rousseau
5-Tiffany Welford :rolleyes:
6- Sophie Ferguson :kiss:
7-Casey Dellacqua :kiss:
8-Monique Adamczak

Qualifying

1-Adriana Szili
2-Jaslyn Hewitt :fiery: should be in MD!
3-Dubravka Cupac
4-Daniella Dominikovic
5-Olivia Lukaczwicz :rolleyes: :mad: what a waste!
6-Lauren Breadmore
7-Shayna McDowell
8-Michaela Krajicek

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,389 Posts
Hewitt missing out on MD wildcard is ridiculous, she is more deserving than Adamczak and even Welford based on current form. Rest of them I am not too bothered/surprised about, just feel that Hewitt/Adamczak should have traded spots.

·
Premium Member
21,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm happy to see Monique finally get her chance :) She should have gotten one last year instead of this year however...

Shayna McDowell is a 15 year old kid...not a bad player, apparently a reasonable talent. Took Antonella Serra-Zanetti to 3 sets in Canberra qualies this week.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Jasyln and Shayna should have received maindraw wildcards ahead of Tiffany and Monique

Olivia a qualifying wildcard? What a joke. Lara or Christina W should have recieved it. Probably Lara.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I don't think Tennis Australia has a clue really.

Jaslyn Hewitt should have been main draw with a pretty recent 25K title plus she played Koukalova to 6-4 1-6 6-2 and Sfar to 6-0 6-7 7-6 in the past two weeks - at least she's proved she can compete.

Christina Wheeler should have received a helping hand coming back from injury and been given a qualies wc - she made the third round of the main draw a couple of years ago. Szili is injured right now so I hope she doesn't waste one. I'd have put McDowell in qualies.

·
Premium Member
21,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Razor - Are you talking about Lara as in Lara Giltinan?

LOL.

Shayna in the main draw? Er, why exactly?

Anyway, it's all done now...

·
Registered
100 Posts
pozdrav na Déčko

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Razor - Are you talking about Lara as in Lara Giltinan?

LOL.

Shayna in the main draw? Er, why exactly?

Anyway, it's all done now...
Yes Lara Giltinan

Shayna is a good up and coming player. Monique hasn't shown much.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,389 Posts
Lara Giltinan should not have been even considered for a WC here, she shouldn't have even been given one last year IMO.

Adamczak really didn't merit a main draw spot this year, but she probably deserved one last year. Just wish TA would actually do the right job at the right time :rolleyes:

As for qualies, McDowell did well this week and I think it's important to put some of the juniors into qualifying. She put in a good effort against Antonella, so I think she deserves a spot for that.

Speaking of juniors, Lukaszewicz is a perfect example of why the juniors should start off with a shot at qualifying and *then* main draw if they can prove they are somewhere near that level. Olivia should never have played the main draw last year, but I think it would have been a bit harsh to suddenly deny her a wildcard at all in 2005. Again, TA should have done this last year.

Michaella wasn't expected to take her wildcard at all so that is a little bit of a surprise. Otherwise, it would have been nice for Christina Wheeler to get a shot at qualifying, or perhaps Emily Hewson who has worked hard to get her ranking pretty decent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts