161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pre qualies 2nd Round so far:

Tara Moore d. Emily Appleton 6-2 6-4
Samantha Murray d. Emily Webley-Smith 6-2 6-3
Freya Christie d. Sarah-Beth Grey 6-2 1-6 6-4

So Moore v Murray for one qualies wild card. Freya v winner of Eden and Danielle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Danielle Daley beat Eden Richardson 6-4 1-6 6-3 and will play Christie for the other QWC. Totally new name to me.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Murray beats Moore 6-4 6-0

Well done Sam. Tara just drifting these days.

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
I did read somewhere that Tara was playing with a broken finger the entire grass court season. I think it was on her twitter.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I hope the winner of Smitkova/Tere-Apisah gets AT LEAST the last QWC, much more deserved that someone who lost in pre-qualies, given the caliber of player that each woman has beaten this week.
I wouldn't be against this as I'm going to that match tomorrow and it would make it even bigger if that prize was on the line. But at the same time, it's not Wimbledon's prerogative to simply look after more deserving players. If that was the case they could just give the MDWCs to the first 8 on the alt list over any of those 6 British players.

With One, +1 other in main draw and Liu in qualifying, they've already given more 'external' wildcards out than any other slam (including reciprocal which they get back) and this has been a pretty stingy year by their standards. Moore may well get the final QWC, but as they have gone for youth throughout their selections in both draws, if they were to give it to Daley who just turned 18 last week then I'd say they'd have every right to do so. I think if Eden Richardson had beaten Daley in the semi then she would have been nailed on - great year at college, young and came through Manchester quals a couple of weeks ago, but it wouldn't look great as she lost in the semi finals.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I did read somewhere that Tara was playing with a broken finger the entire grass court season. I think it was on her twitter.
Well, she broke it during her first match of the grass court season at Surbiton (and retired). But until then, it wasn't broken, so she didn't play the entire season with a broken finger:wink2:.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hopefully Tara will get the last QWC
Fuck no! Why on earth would you hope for this? She lost in PRE-QUALIES and not only lost but got hammered. How does that mean she deserves a place in qualifying?

I hope the winner of Smitkova/Tere-Apisah gets AT LEAST the last QWC, much more deserved that someone who lost in pre-qualies, given the caliber of player that each woman has beaten this week.
Totally agree. They've both schlepped over to play the grass swing for the sake of it and thoroughly excelled. With the calibre of their wins so far, rough to send them home without even a sniff of the QD.

The other Slams reserving too many WCs for bad locals is a problem and it certainly shouldn't mean that Wimbledon follows that awful lead.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Well, they often have given the last QWC to the highest-ranked runner-up in pre-Qs, but Tara is so clearly not a favourite with the authorities that I don't think it's a given that she'll get it.

So they could well throw one at the Ilkley runner-up, if she needs it. Or they might just not award it. Or give it to Daley. Or maybe Robson will declare herself fit after all, and get a last minute QWC.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
There are various ways Ilkley could shake out, WC-wise.

Alexandrova d. Tere-Apisah/Smitkova - no champion's MDWC so it could pass to Jakupovic. The runner-up could get the QWC. Or the runner-up could get the MDWC anyway, in which case I'd like to see the beaten SFist get the QWC.

Yastremska d. Tere-Apisah/Smitkova - Yastremska gets MDWC, I'd hope the runner-up would get the QWC.

Tere-Apisah/Smitkova title - champion gets MDWC and in this case I'd like to see the beaten SFist get a QWC.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I don't think they will go as far back as beaten semi-finalist in Ilkley.

I can see them going with a QWC for the runner up, but I very much doubt they'd give her a MDWC.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Joanna Garland would be a very interesting, if not controversial, choice for the final QWC. With their emphasis placed on youth I wonder if she has ever been in their conversations or if she was already approached and potentially knocked back?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Joanna Garland would be a very interesting, if not controversial, choice for the final QWC. With their emphasis placed on youth I wonder if she has ever been in their conversations or if she was already approached and potentially knocked back?
Much as I'd love Slams to start rewarding international promising juniors not from Slam nations, I can only see this happening in the context of the LTA trying to win Garland back from Taiwan, and I'm not aware they're trying to do that. I don't think "a British connection" means anything to them unless the player is, or might be, representing GBR.

I assume the reverse is the reason behind Fischer's QWC - the USTA is after her so this will keep her sweet and less likely to switch. Raducanu deserved a QWC anyway, but I've heard Tennis Canada are pursuing her as well.

This is kind of like the GBR equivalent of Russia's Fed Cup strategy recently - Myskina's been packing her teams with low-ranked promising juniors to ensure that KAZ can't steal them :lol:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I don't think they will go as far back as beaten semi-finalist in Ilkley.

I can see them going with a QWC for the runner up, but I very much doubt they'd give her a MDWC.
Yeah, I don't think the runner-up would get a MDWC - I believe it'd go to Jakupovic if Alexandrova won Ilkley.

But if the Tere-Apisah/Smitkova winner went on to take the title and a MDWC, I can see the SFist getting a QWC - neither of them are totally random ITF scrubs. Smitkova has reached R4 of Wimbledon before, and Tere-Apisah's story is getting a bit of notice now - plus as a recipient of that Grand Slam development fund, maybe some politics will come into play. A PNG player succeeding because of it would be a good advertisement for them. And, I mean, the alternative is Tara Moore...

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the runner-up would get a MDWC - I believe it'd go to Jakupovic if Alexandrova won Ilkley.

But if the Tere-Apisah/Smitkova winner went on to take the title and a MDWC, I can see the SFist getting a QWC - neither of them are totally random ITF scrubs. Smitkova has reached R4 of Wimbledon before, and Tere-Apisah's story is getting a bit of notice now - plus as a recipient of that Grand Slam development fund, maybe some politics will come into play. A PNG player succeeding because of it would be a good advertisement for them. And, I mean, the alternative is Tara Moore...
I think your last sentence is absolutely relevant. She's plummeted in the rankings, though still ranked higher than any of the direct QWCs, but they don't rate her professionalism, and thus put her in play-offs with the thought of "let her earn it", and she hasn't. And I had never heard of the other runner-up, Danielle Daley, so she has no results to back that up.

If the play-off runners up had been any of the younger top 700 women, I think they'd have thrown one of them a bone.

They are quite capable of just going "next in", despite there being plausible candidates elsewhere, though.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts