Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Anyone know who is playing in the playoff?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
There are 3 qwcs left, 2 for the play off and one to be announced
Yeah, I know, the play-off is supposedly a 16 draw, but in effect it's two seeded draws of 8 players, and the winner of each 8 is guaranteed a WC.

But in previous years, when there are places left, they have gone to the runners up in each set of 8, or the highest-ranked runner-up, if there is only one left over.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
A question about the rules regarding playing other tournaments the same week as Grand Slam Qualifying:

I know that a player cannot play another event (main draw or qualies) if she has been accepted into the qualifying draw of a slam.

But, can a player play qualies in another event that week, and then accept a QWC into the slam after she has lost?

For example: Could Burrage (or Moore or Robson) receive a QWC into Eastbourne, lose, and then receive a Wimbledon QWC?

If so, could that be why they are holding one back? Because they cannot give an Eastbourne QWC to a player who has already been announced as a Wimbledon QWC?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Really happy for Emma and Fran (although she could've at least showed some commitment by entering a lead-up grass tournament).

It's not fair to call a girl who just turned 15 a few months ago and who has barely been able to play consistently for the past 2 years due to injury, useless but I agree that she shouldn't have been given a QWC and it seems a bit random. I'm disappointed Jodie B didn't get it instead, however this is my only criticism.

Also I'm so happy for Ons! Her game is a joy to watch and can work effectively on any surface & I'm glad she managed to show that in Manchester last week after qualifying for Wimby last year. :)

She just beat a top 20 player which is more than all the other WC recipients (except Jabeur) have done EVER.
Not true - Broady beat Ivanovic when Ana was ranked no.16 in the world.

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Really happy for Emma and Fran (although she could've at least showed some commitment by entering a lead-up grass tournament).

It's not fair to call a girl who just turned 15 a few months ago and who has barely been able to play consistently for the past 2 years due to injury, useless but I agree that she shouldn't have been given a QWC and it seems a bit random. I'm disappointed Jodie B didn't get it instead, however this is my only criticism.

Not true - Broady beat Ivanovic when Ana was ranked no.16 in the world.
I apologised if I was rude.
Even if she is 15 and had a long time injury, she never was a prodigy or talent before and who knows in the future but NOW It is a WC wasted.

·
Registered
43,962 Posts
A question about the rules regarding playing other tournaments the same week as Grand Slam Qualifying:

I know that a player cannot play another event (main draw or qualies) if she has been accepted into the qualifying draw of a slam.

But, can a player play qualies in another event that week, and then accept a QWC into the slam after she has lost?

For example: Could Burrage (or Moore or Robson) receive a QWC into Eastbourne, lose, and then receive a Wimbledon QWC?

If so, could that be why they are holding one back? Because they cannot give an Eastbourne QWC to a player who has already been announced as a Wimbledon QWC?
Yes that is possible for some reason. Ellen Perez even reached R2 in Sydney this year and could still Play Melbourne with a QWC. :) Others who had QWCs into Hobart and Sydney were able to play Melbourne Q aswell. :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

Don't think so since she's the 4th seed in the playoff draw here: https://lta.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=1B5588DF-B2EB-434D-9F0D-51E24ABFB52D&draw=2

·
Registered
24,843 Posts
I wonder why Arbuthnott is playing in a $25K in Sweden instead of pre-qualies? Maybe they told her she wouldn't get in, but I think she'd deserve a slot more than some of those players

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I wonder why Arbuthnott is playing in a $25K in Sweden instead of pre-qualies? Maybe they told her she wouldn't get in, but I think she'd deserve a slot more than some of those players
Must have been her own choice. She's ranked higher than 7 players in the draw, and she's relatively young. She hasn't played the grass season at all.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Surprised at no wildcard for Lisicki, but good on all the Brits girls for securing those wildcards! They really have deserved them. 2017 Junior winner Claire Liu may perhaps have got a MDWC instead of QWC in a year when there weren't as many Brits ahead of her in the pecking order.

Kinda shocked at no Robson even in qualies; injury or just out of chances? No sniff of Bouchard, which is good because she simply hasn't earned it, and Jabeur has. I'm a little surprised to see Fischer and Raducanu in there with QWCs ahead of Burrage and Grey, but happy for Fran Jones in particular. Lumsden has earned hers too.

Overall, good choices this time around, I think!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pre qualies R1 so far:

Tara Moore d. Eden Silva 6-4 6-4
Emily Appleton d. Ella Taylor 6-4 6-3
Emily Webley-Smith d. Victoria Allen 6-1 6-3
Samantha Murray d. Alicia Barnett 6-4 6-7 (1) 6-2

That's the top half.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pre qualies R1: Bottom half

Sarah Beth Grey d. Amelia Bissett 6-0 6-1
Freya Christie d. Erin Richardson 6-0 5-2 retd.
Danielle Daley d. Katherine Barnes 6-2 6-0
Eden Richardson d. Jodie Burrage 4-6 6-4 6-3

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tere Apisah for the last WC, to be the first player of papua new guinea to participate in wimbledon :wink2:
maybe in qualies...for the symbol:smile2:

141 - 160 of 188 Posts