Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
34,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still two weeks until the final entry list comes out, so we'll know better then (and after Wimbledon once the rankings are finalized), but the wildcard choices this year could be interesting.

1. French wildcard. I imagine this spot will be decided by a playoff again?
2. Australian wildcard. Will this be a playoff? Otherwise Stosur (former champion) and Hon are highest ranked to miss the cut.
3. U18 winner. I don't follow juniors but has it happened yet?
4. ITF challenge playoff winner. TBD.
5-8 TBD.

I know in the past the NCAA winner has often received one but this year the girl was Spanish so I think she won't right? Any other systems they use to fill a spot?

Gauff is obviously a lock. Former champions Svetlana Kuznetsova and Stosur also missed the cut pretty narrowly so may be in the running, but Sexlana did receive one last year and has not done much since, while Stosur could get the Australian wildcard if her own federation feels she is deserving. Osuigwe very narrowly misses the cut too so she is a near lock, although could get it through the ITF challenge. After that Kiick, Townsend, and Lepchenko are the highest-ranked Americans to miss the cut but none feel like very obvious choices. Then McNally, who I imagine has a very good chance as she is young and qualified for Wimbledon. Am I missing anyone else?

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
U18 winner. I don't follow juniors but has it happened yet? No, it is August 3-11

I know in the past the NCAA winner has often received one but this year the girl was Spanish so I think she won't right? Any other systems they use to fill a spot? She will not get it, I believe it will just become a regular WC

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Osuigwe and McNally have to be the top at-large American contenders at this point, and I absolutely do not think that Kuznetsova deserves another one, given the year that she has, unless she says that it's going to be her last US Open, or something. Australia should have a play-off, and if Stosur earns it, good on her, but make the system merit-based, rather than just subjective.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Cori Gauff is guaranteed to receive one if she doesn't make it in directly, just waiting for the rankings to see where she's at after her Wimbledon run...

·
Registered
34,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cori Gauff is guaranteed to receive one if she doesn't make it in directly, just waiting for the rankings to see where she's at after her Wimbledon run...
She'll be around 140 so not even close to direct entry. Someone in GM said she is not eligible for a wildcard at the US Open but I'm assuming that's wrong and she will get one?

·
Registered
18,393 Posts

·
Registered
34,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
Why wouldn't Gauff be able to get a WC? I guess she can right? Or has it got to do with the age eligibility rules and all.

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
USTA will find a way to get Coco in. They aren’t letting this opportunity slip by them.

I imagine they’ll give Tennis Australia an ultimatum; I doubt they’ll give two Australian wildcards. Stosur either gets the TA wildcard or nothing.

Shelby Rogers has already used both of her PR spots at the French and Wimbledon. I doubt she would have done that if she didn’t think she was getting a main draw WC here.

Australia - Stosur
French WC
USTA U18
ITF Challenge
Gauff
Rogers
Osuigwe
McNally

·
it's just me against the music.
27,347 Posts
^^^ 100% on point. Close the thread. All those are obvious. There really aren’t any other contenders.

BMS gets a qualifying WC.

·
Registered
34,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm so sick of Bethanie Mattek-Sands getting endless wildcards :help:. Can Gauff win the U18 or is she above that now that she's pro?

I still think Sexlana (and potentially Stosur but TA really should give it to her) should be in the conversation despite her shitty year because the USTA kind of set a precedent of giving wildcards to former champions when they gave one to Meldopova :help:. And Kiick should be in the conversation, though I would prefer Shelby if it comes down to those two.

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
USTA will find a way to get Coco in. They aren’t letting this opportunity slip by them.

I imagine they’ll give Tennis Australia an ultimatum; I doubt they’ll give two Australian wildcards. Stosur either gets the TA wildcard or nothing.

Shelby Rogers has already used both of her PR spots at the French and Wimbledon. I doubt she would have done that if she didn’t think she was getting a main draw WC here.

Australia - Stosur
French WC
USTA U18
ITF Challenge
Gauff
Rogers
Osuigwe
McNally
Spot on predictions.

As a past winner of the USO Sammy deserves a WC, especially considering this is the first USO she hasn’t qualified for since winning the title. The AO WC should be the way to go since the USO already has some tough choices to make regarding Team USA MD WCs. I just can’t see them leaving out Coco, Shelby, Whitney or Caty. :smile2:

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
I'm so sick of Bethanie Mattek-Sands getting endless wildcards :help:. Can Gauff win the U18 or is she above that now that she's pro?

I still think Sexlana (and potentially Stosur but TA really should give it to her) should be in the conversation despite her shitty year because the USTA kind of set a precedent of giving wildcards to former champions when they gave one to Meldopova :help:. And Kiick should be in the conversation, though I would prefer Shelby if it comes down to those two.

The only thing is that Kuznetsova got one WC last year .

WC pretty much confirmed for Gauff, the USO can give her a WC https://nypost.com/2019/07/17/us-open-plans-to-bend-rules-to-make-sure-they-get-coco-gauff/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I'm hoping Whitney Osuigwe & Hailey Baptiste get a WC, I think though Hailey will get a QWC more than likely. Also, I hope Victoria Duval get a WC in the U.S. Open as well.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Any chance for Lepchenko and Di Lorenzo? The former's coming back from injury and the latter has been playing well-ish, and has 2R points to defend from last year. I'd say Townsend mayyyy be a contender too, but she hasn't really been playing that much recently?

But I suppose these girls have the race and WC challenge and stuff to make their way in the main draw.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Any news about the French WC? Was it confirmed it is gonna be a race again this year?

Reactions: Jow
1 - 20 of 72 Posts