Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume the French Open use this weeks rankings for the direct entry cut off. Ferro's run to the semi finals of Lugano will therefore have secured her place in the main draw, joining Garcia, Parmentier, Cornet and Mladenovic (didn't realise Pauline was the current French #2 :eek:).

How do you see the 6 French wildcard picks going?

The next 6 in by ranking would be:

203 Ponchet
211 Paquet
217 Georges
237 A Hesse
263 Tan
316 Albie (who will also have 25k+H F points), so is about 278 in the live rankings

Other potentials would be 18 year old Burel (486), 16 year old Parry (546) who has recent 25k+H (Q)QF points to add on to boost that ranking further, and potentially Dodin, who made the Sunderland 25k QF last week on her return from injury, although I'm not sure what her current relationship is like with the the FFT, nor if she qualifies for any sort of relevant PR.

The US wildcard will go to the the most successful home player in their 4 clay ITF events and I assume Australia will have their usual playoff?

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
France is doing a "WILD CARD race" this year . 2 main draw WCs: 1st for the winner of the race, 2nd WC to the first french player not in already in the main draw on the WTA Porsche Race Singles ranking of May 13 2019.

Best 3 results , maximum of 2 $25K and player must play at least 2 tournaments

Petit-Bourg - $25,000 – week of january 14
Andrézieux-Bouthéon - $60,000 – week of january 21
Grenoble - $25,000 – week of february 4
Macon - $25,000 – week of february 25
Croissy-Beaubourg - $60,000 – week of march 25
Calvi - $25,000 – week of april 8
Cagnes-sur-Mer - $100,000 – week of may 6

Race France Ranking( April 9) http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/files/pdf/classement_race_fft_2019_dames.pdf

There are 3 qualifying WCs. First WC will go to the first french player in the "RACE France " not in the qualifying draw, Second WC will go to the first french player in the "WTA PORSCHE RACE" not in the qualifying draw and third WC will go to the best junior(ITF Junior top 30 or won a Grade 1 between January 1 and May 12)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Albie is almost certain to get a MDWC, leading both "French tournaments race" and the WTA Race (by adding Calvi points). That's probably not what FFT was expecting when they established these rules...
As for now, if FFT follows their rules, MDWC would go to Albié and Ponchet, QWC would go to Georges (if she's not directly in, otherwise Lim), Tan and Burel.
Don't know how they will attribute the others WCs.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't aware of those new changes, but that's generally a good thing.

Ponchet was in Bolton the week before so it did make sense to combine that with Sunderland 25k, like a lot of the Sunderland field did (Anderson, Stojanovic, Marcinkevica, Chwalinska etc.), but with Calvi being much weaker, despite being a +H event (e.g. Jodie Burrage just sneaked into Sunderland in 13th place, but would have been a seed in Calvi), I wonder if Ponchet regrets not heading there instead (she'd have avoided the Tara Moore embarrassment anyway, ha) - although saying that, I'd be stunned if she wasn't one of the 6 anyway, either via this new system or being an obvious pick if not automatic.

·
Premium Member
66,267 Posts
Do you think two time RG SFist Bacsinszky who lives near the French border and is just 6 out of MD could receive a MDWC here?

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think two time RG SFist Bacsinszky who lives near the French border and is just 6 out of MD could receive a MDWC here?
I'd say she'd have as much chance as someone like Naomi Broady. I.e. not much.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's been no female MDWC outside of French players and the reciprocal WCs since 2000 when former winner Iva Majoli received one, and even then, the other 7 all went to French players - they're surely not going to give less than 6 to French players this year. They didn't even give Schiavone one last year who was a former champ, never mind semi finalist.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
There's been no female MDWC outside of French players and the reciprocal WCs since 2000 when former winner Iva Majoli received one, and even then, the other 7 all went to French players - they're surely not going to give less than 6 to French players this year. They didn't even give Schiavone one last year who was a former champ, never mind semi finalist.
100% correct I don't think they will but it was no surprise Schiavone did not get one

·
Registered
55,629 Posts
My picks:

MD

Ponchet (best ranked French)
Paquet (only French player at RG last year with wins in singles, doubles and mixed)
Dodin (former top 50 coming back from injury)
Tan (still young, won 2 rounds in qualies last year)
Burel (junior #1 a few months ago, multiple junior Slam finalist, got already a MDWC in Australia with a good showing)
Parry (without a doubt, France greatest prospect; beautiful game, probably a year or two younger than an expected MDWC but honestly, her competition is kinda old and hopeless so why not?)

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic

** This said, due to the new rule Albie seems pretty safe as MDWC and in normal conditions based on results, Tan or Paquet MDWC would be a big WTF but competition is so weak in French tennis that it is what it is.

Reactions: david

·
Registered
79,086 Posts
France is doing a "WILD CARD race" this year . 2 main draw WCs: 1st for the winner of the race, 2nd WC to the first french player not in already in the main draw on the WTA Porsche Race Singles ranking of May 13 2019.

Best 3 results , maximum of 2 $25K and player must play at least 2 tournaments

Petit-Bourg - $25,000 – week of january 14
Andrézieux-Bouthéon - $60,000 – week of january 21
Grenoble - $25,000 – week of february 4
Macon - $25,000 – week of february 25
Croissy-Beaubourg - $60,000 – week of march 25
Calvi - $25,000 – week of april 8
Cagnes-sur-Mer - $100,000 – week of may 6

Race France Ranking( April 9) http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/files/pdf/classement_race_fft_2019_dames.pdf

There are 3 qualifying WCs. First WC will go to the first french player in the "RACE France " not in the qualifying draw, Second WC will go to the first french player in the "WTA PORSCHE RACE" not in the qualifying draw and third WC will go to the best junior(ITF Junior top 30 or won a Grade 1 between January 1 and May 12)
Is there an updated ranking for this?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'm confused. I thought there would only be a few WCs this year (2 MDWC and 3 QWC), with that new race rule?

My picks:

MD

Paquet (only French player at RG last year with wins in singles, doubles and mixed)
Burel (junior #1 a few months ago, multiple junior Slam finalist, got already a MDWC in Australia with a good showing)
Parry (without a doubt, France greatest prospect; beautiful game, probably a year or two younger than an expected MDWC but honestly, her competition is kinda old and hopeless so why not?)

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic

** This said, due to the new rule Albie seems pretty safe as MDWC and in normal conditions based on results, Tan or Paquet MDWC would be a big WTF but competition is so weak in French tennis that it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
My picks:

MD

QWC

Georges
Albie
Andrianjafitrimo
Hesse
Yerolymos
Noel
Bencheikh
Janicijevic

Yeah I can't disagree with these MDWC choices if I was taking it at face value. This new "race situation" might thrown Albie in over Tan or Parry.

Reix is the only other name worth mentioning but we all know FFT hate her. French tennis is weak and now that Ferro has finally picked herself up into MD contention they literally have no choices of relevance. Dodin aside because of her injury.

·
Registered
55,629 Posts
Reix is the only other name worth mentioning but we all know FFT hate her.
A 30 year old who's never cracked the top 200 (currently #330) should not be even considered for a QWC let alone a MDWC :spit: I'd rather pick Lim at that rate...

·
Registered
11,175 Posts

·
Registered
26,582 Posts
It's interesting that the US has changed its system to include points obtained from European red clay WTA events and big ITF events to recognise/encourage good performances in those events as well as on their own USTA clay circuit.
Definitely glad to see this change. For example, if Pera suddenly peaks and wins Prague, then she will win the wildcard easily, I would imagine.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts