Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK vs USA. With Konta making history at the Australian Open and with Heather Watson in the top 100 and Laura Robson still around, do you think it would be a good idea to revive Wightman Cup? Last played 1989. I caught the tail end of the this competition made famous by that Capriati-Wood 6-0 6-0 infamous encounter.

What do you all think? Can it work?

·
Administrator
67,475 Posts
Would be interesting if they did.

Although there were times then when Wade, Barker, Durie, Hobbs and Gomer were top 50 players and there were still those 7-0 defeats

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think there's any reason for reviving the Wightman Cup. It was originally intended to be the women's world team championship, but when it was launched, in the 1920s, only the USA and Britain were interested, which was why it was always a two-way contest. It was abandoned because the disparity between the two nations became so wide that there was no point in continuing. The difference in playing standard of the USA and Britain is still too wide to make it competitive or valid. If the US team was full strength - ie with Serena Williams and all the other Americans in the Top 100 - the British would be flattened.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be interesting if they did.

Although there were times then when Wade, Barker, Durie, Hobbs and Gomer were top 50 players and there were still those 7-0 defeats
That's true. The popularity disparity between the two countries makes it very hard to compete.

I don't think there's any reason for reviving the Wightman Cup. It was originally intended to be the women's world team championship, but when it was launched, in the 1920s, only the USA and Britain were interested, which was why it was always a two-way contest. It was abandoned because the disparity between the two nations became so wide that there was no point in continuing. The difference in playing standard of the USA and Britain is still too wide to make it competitive or valid. If the US team was full strength - ie with Serena Williams and all the other Americans in the Top 100 - the British would be flattened.
The absence of Serena Williams would probably make a revived Wightman Cup relatively competitive given the talents of players like Jo Konta and Heather Watson. But Hazel Wightman's original idea was for an equivalent to the Davis Cup and that is what the FedCup essentially is.
--

A link for fans of the Wightman Cup:

http://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast-past/708250-wightman-cup-thread-%96-reports-results-more.html
-----
Thanks Mark. Yes, I agree that it existed because there was no equivalent of Davis Cup but I think it would still be a nice idea to keep a historical event going if the will and the competition is there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts