Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coach told me a while back they used to have the Wightman Cup, which pitted the top US players against the top British players. They stopped it in 1989, for, ahem, lack of competition. I just wanted to see what would happen if they pitted the top 7 US against the top 7 Brits, so here are the matchups you get. BTW, all of these will be featured on ESPN Classic in the coming weeks ;)

1. Serena Williams (#1) vs. Anne Keovathong (#151)
2. Venus Williams (#4) vs. Elena Baltacha (#201)
3. Lindsay Davenport (#5) vs. Lucie Ahl (#209)
4. Jennifer Capriati (#7) vs. Jane O'Donoghue (#244)
5. Chanda Rubin (#8) vs. Julie Pullin (#270)
6. Meghann Shaughnessy (#18) vs. Amanda Janes (#310)
7. Monica Seles (#24) vs. Helen Crook (#338)

If you take injuries into consideration now (Venus and Monica, Anne and Elena,) here are the #8 and #9 matches..

8. Lisa Raymond (#26) vs. Hannah Collin (#346)
9. Alexandra Stevenson (#28) vs. Sarah Borwell (#392)

Shocking stuff :eek:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I remember the Wightman Cup being cancelled, and then it was brought back for one year with a different format (I'm not sure exactly when, but I think the early 90's). Instead of USA vs. BRITAIN, it became AMERICA vs. THE REST OF THE WORLD. I remember than Sabatini was one of the team members for America, and Amanda Coetzer played was one member for the world team. The whole thing was played right before the U.S. Open (in Washington D.C., maybe), and it all reeked of a rather cheesy exhibition. In that, it seems really similar to that Collins Cup event in Ireland that took place last year.

·
Chionophile
40,199 Posts
I used to love this competition, but alas you're right, it would be rather a joke these days. I still think that they could've changed it to USA vs. Europe. I think that competition could've still thrived.

Anyhow, it's hard to imagine the days when Britain used to beat USA in this competition, a long long time ago. :eek:

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Wow, how things have changed! British fortunes have steadily declined over the years, from grand slam winners like Wade and Barker, to a top 5 player like Durie, to the likes of Croft, Sam Smith. Hell, they'd kill for someone as good as Sara Gomer right now.

What happened? I know it's not a lack of athletic talent in Britain. Was the LTA asleep at the switch? Or was it simple neglect, with them devoting their resources toward getting a male champion?

Looking at the prospective 2003 Wightman Cup "matches", you could get pretty good odds on the US not even losing a game.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't think the really top American women played anyway - Capriati and Mary Joe Fernandez both took part, but it was before Capriati turned pro (she still won 6-0 6-0) and in the early stages of Mary Joe's career.

What amazes me is Wightman Cup results are in players WTA win-loss record, which seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I guess Sarah Borwell would be the only match win for Great Britain. :eek:

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
lol, if Anne and elena pulled out Lucie would play Serena. That would be a great retirement match.

I reckon one of the Brits could sneak a set at best. This would most likely be the first set, coz the Americans wouldn't ahve heard of the GB Girls, and Monica wouldnt ahve a clue what was going on if she played against Helen, who is 31 so plays like someone from the early-mid 90's with the heavy slice, one-handed backhand etc.....

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Wightman Cup was 5 singles and two doubles matches. The #1 & #2 singles player on each team played two singles matches each and the #3 players played just one singles match against each other. That left just the two doubles matches.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good God, imagine if they revived it now. Ritual humiliation, that's what it would be. Heck, the entire European team only managed to win three sets in seven matches during the Collins Cup (admittedly, the best Europeans didn't fancy showing up), so we might be lucky to get any decent result. Not getting a game is a little unfair, but we might be fortunate to push one set to a single break, I'll admit. I'd love to see Stevenson and Baltacha play each other, for a clash of fairly similar playing styles... fast serves, big shots, poor movement.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
OMG it would be quite funny!

But Anne would beat Serena thats for sure:p

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
They might be better off altering the format to 7 singles matches, considering the doubles teams would be Williams/Williams vs ? and Davenport/Raymond vs ? Yikes!

It would be more insteresting if we sent out King, Casals, Evert, Austin, etc. vs Wade, Barker, Haydon-Jones, Durie, etc. Perhaps Althea Gibson vs Angela Mortimer?

Granted, they've all lost a step or two (or 12). But there would be a LOT more winners than UE's, and as any tennis announcer will tell you, that's the hallmark of a high quality match. :)

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Hendouble said:
Good God, imagine if they revived it now. Ritual humiliation, that's what it would be. Heck, the entire European team only managed to win three sets in seven matches during the Collins Cup (admittedly, the best Europeans didn't fancy showing up), so we might be lucky to get any decent result. Not getting a game is a little unfair, but we might be fortunate to push one set to a single break, I'll admit. I'd love to see Stevenson and Baltacha play each other, for a clash of fairly similar playing styles... fast serves, big shots, poor movement.
Baltacha played Stevenson this year at the Aus Open and Alex won 6-4 6-1. That was when Alex wasnt in good form, so i doubt Borwell or any of the other Brits could beat her. I dont think any of them would get more than 3 games in a set against any of those Americans!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.