Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Parche I think his name was -
ANyhow, he was an obsessed Steffi fan, and decided that he had to injur Monica in such a way she could never play tennis again, in order for his love to be the best in the world again.

Essentially thats what happened.

What he did do was mild compared to some of his other sick grusome ideas.

He is now coinciding with the rest of society, unfortunately.

And if Monica never returns to the country that allowed this man to be set free with no punishment, then I fully support that, and dont' blame her a bit.

No offense to Germany, but this is a special case.

·
25,594 Posts
He was a lunatic, pure and simple. Parche was a fanatical Graf fan. I don't blame Monica one bit for not returning to Germany, because the man wasn't put in prison. Authorities in Germany claimed the Seles family didn't cooperate enough to convince the court he should get a jail sentence, but as she was stabbed in front of horrified crowd his guilt was never open to question.

Was he forced to get mental therapy? That I couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Monica Seles, although Yugoslavian is of Hungarian not Serbian/Slavic extraction. Some feel this played a part in that Gunther Parche, a lathe-operator and a Steffi Graf FANatic, could not stand to see a German replaced by a Hungarian as the World's #1 ranker player, that he did it out of 'nationalism' (old ethnic rivalries never die...). This angle to the story was never fully developed as a more psychological approach was used in the investigation and trial.

·
Registered
165 Posts
she is from Ygoslavia, and at that time the guy who tried to kill Monica was doing someone else's job .After that Monica had to leave her home country Yugoslavia...

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
"No Offense to Germany" - Why be diplomatic about it?? THE GERMAN LEGAL SYSTEM IS A SHAM/JOKE/PATHETIC and BENEATH CONTEMPT!!!!

ANd I hope that does offend Germany - Offend them into doing somethign about it.

Its almost as if the German judicial system thought they would thank Gunther Parche for a job well done, by letting him off...

"he is no longer a danger to society" the judge said...- Yeah, thats cuz his mission was accomplised!!!

If Monica got stabbed anywhere, but on the tennis court, I wouldnt argue about her place in history being stolen, and Graf's numbers being inflated etc...

But due to the MOTIVES behind the stabbing, and WHY it occurred - for TENNIS reasons - to give Graf back the # 1 spot, I will never let it go, and will always argue for Monica...

·
25,594 Posts
Rian is correct Ares. Monica is of Hungarian descent, and the region of Serbia(or Yugoslavia) where she is from is a Hungarian enclave. Her parents were more comfortable speaking the language and her brother's name(Zoltan), is a typically Hungarian one.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Well I'm just happy to see that Monica has recovered from the tragic event. She is such a great person (especially since the stabbing). I know she'll continue to have a great year in 2002!

Go Monica!

·
Banned
692 Posts
Lol Monica is all eurpoen decent,

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
If Monica got stabbed anywhere, but on the tennis court, I wouldnt argue about her place in history being stolen, and Graf's numbers being inflated etc...

But due to the MOTIVES behind the stabbing, and WHY it occurred - for TENNIS reasons - to give Graf back the # 1 spot, I will never let it go, and will always argue for Monica<P>so if she was stabbed or bombed only because she born in Serbia, her place in history would not have been stolen even if she had never been able to play again? that`s the biggest crap I ever heard, 1 she would still have been a total innocent victim of a crazy freaking idiot, 2 her life and career would still have been ruined,3 Steffi would still have go on and win all those titles. so there would not be a difference, except ofcourse when you realy hate Steffi that much that you are glad that he named her as reason because now you have a legal reason to bash her.:fiery:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Czechfan: I totally agree that there was something wrong with a system that let a man like that walk.

What I meant, was no offense to the people who live there , by saying I support Monica not going back.

My countries judicial system isn't perfect either - so I didn't want to be a hypocrit and totally insult Germany as a whole - I hope you know what I mean.

The system was screwed up to let them happen, but I meant no harm to the country or her people.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
It`s nice to know that meaning that "you are no danger for the society anymore " means you don`t have to go to prison for trying to kill somebody, I still think the judge found it nice that he only put a knife in Monica`s back instead of cutting her hands off(that was his first plan), did you know that the bild interviewed him two years later and asked if he planned to do the same with ASV? and believe me this is no joke. :fiery:

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
anton said:
you mean Arantxa? he was banned from the tour wasn't he. I guess he could try to find her hotel or something.
umm remember the Hingis case? The guy who "stalked" her was banned from the site, but he kept coming back anyway. Just because he was banned from the tour doesn't mean he wouldn't try something anyway. If he was "crazy" enough to stab Monica, then is there any reason he wouldn't try it again on someone else if he thought they were stealing the #1 spot from Steffi!

I actually remember having a discussion with a fellow Coetzer fan in 97 about should Amanda watch out in Germany because she's beating Graf alot that year. That's a bit over the top, but with somebody like Parche, you never know what he might try!

I can undersatnd Seles not going back to Germany, and I feel that if she doesn't want to go back, then it's up to her. If she doesn't feel comfortable going to Germany (and would you under the circumstances? I wouldn't!) then she needn't go.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The nationalistic side of the stabbing never occurred to me. But I guess it was also partly possible.

If I were any of these top girls, I'd hire myself a big, mean, old bodyguard to look after my being... or Kevin Costner. Whitney says that he will always love you.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Monica is ethnic Hungarian. She lived in Novi sad, Yougslavia, which is close top the border. She went to school in Hungary and speaks Hungarian as well as Serbo-Croatian.

she is from Ygoslavia, and at that time the guy who tried to kill Monica was doing someone else's job .After that Monica had to leave her home country Yugoslavia
Monica left Yugoslavia after she won her first World title (and she was the European champ that year, too). IIRC, she repeated as European and World champ the next year after a year of training with Nick. Her parents joined her in Fla just a few months after she came over here (she was homesick and wasn't performing that well w/o them.)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Didn`t Monica also live in Germany for a while before she went too Florida? I seem to remember that I read that once.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
The reason why Monica was attacked has been well explained here.

Parche is a lunatic and I totally support Monica's decision not to play in Germany again.

Of course, we must not confuse the issue, German people and Steffi Graf are not guilty of this, they have nothing to do with it, it was that lunatic, and the german judicial system.

Moreover I find the German courts even more guilty than Parche, Parche is a psycho, a sick man that shouldn't be allowed to be free, but the german judges? what is their excuse?, they are supposed to be educated, intelligent and protect the people.

Also, after the incident, the organizers went on with the tournament, it was played as if nothing had happened, they should have suspended the tournament immediately, it was like human life meant nothing for the organizers.

The WTA wasn't also very kind on Monica.

And it seems they have learned nothing from it. I was in the Canadian Open last year, I could have taken any weapon with me, I was really close to some of the players, anyone wanting to harm a player could have done it with no problems. Parche isn't the only lunatic out there, Martina had to deal with a stalker, fortunately the stalked apparently only wanted to be near her and not hurt her, but they should take preventive meassures to avoid that risk, not act when the problem happened.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts