Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ,now what is this girl thinking?
Scottsdale has the likes of Capriati and Serena,while in Doha and Dubai except Venus (who is playing in Dubai),there's no big threat to Martina.Why is she taking the risk of playing in Scottsdale?
Besides she won BOTH these tournaments last year,and defends a good deal of points in them.Why does she want to play just 1 tournie instead?
Also Scottsdale is just on the week before Indian Wells.
That will mean that she'll be playing FIVE straight weeks in a row!!
Can she handle that?
Generally smart scheduling has always been Martina's strength.Infact I think that was the main reason for her to remain at No.1 for nearly 9 months last year.But this time it's letting her down!
Can she withdraw from Scottsdale and and get a wildcard into Doha or Dubai?

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

She needs some rest.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I think playing those middle eastern tournaments took a lot out of her last year and she doesn't want to make the same mistake again with scheduling, she over-scheduled a lot last year and it showed a lot in the middle of the year when the important tournaments were played...and anyways she can't play Doha as she got a special exemption from the WTA to play there last year and it is just not worth her while just playing Dubai...but then maybe the same money as last year is not on the table this year;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Martina stated that she's missing the Middle East tournaments due to security reasons and for some much needed rest after her Australian and Tokyo campaigns.

And she's not really playing 5 weeks in a row from Scottsdale to Miami. She's playing one full week, then she gets half a weeks' rest, then she plays one week of Indian Wells. Then it's another half-week break, followed by another week in Miami. It's not so bad.

I think it's a good idea that she's skipping the Middle East. There's no point wasting her energies on a Tier II and a Tier III, when she could pour herself into a pair of Tier I's and a Tier II in the US. Plus, she'll have better odds after resting to earn those bonus points in the bigger events than in Doha or Dubai.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I was just going to say what Aloysius said - she just won a Tier I in toyko and defended her points from AO - she can afford not to defend her points in those two tourneys in the Middle East.
Ruth in philly PA USA

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I remember Martina saying after being invited last year (and probably being paid alot in appearance fees), she felt alot of presure to win thru all her matches. (and because she was in a class of her own being the top player.)

She was invited to promote the tournament, and this was probably her reason for playing last year.

I think this year there paying Venus, and can't afford both.

So Martina's taking the time for her needed rest.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Someone gave a pretty good explanation, I thought, in the other thread. It had to do with appearance fees and the possibility that Hingis and Venus both appearing at Dubai would be too expensive for the organizers. Granted Dubai is a rich country, the tournament may not be.

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
Martina doesn't ave to play there, she played there last year cos

of this

c. Two New Tournaments
Gold Exempt Players must commit to two (2) Tournaments in which they have not participated during the previous two (2) years.

Hence the reason for Venus to go there this year, not to mention the back-handed pay-offs from the organisers, cos appearance money is forbidden.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I think its a good idea.She might loose points but she hardly beat anyone decent to win the titles!Playign Scottsdale is much better for her better field and she'll be in the USA ready for Indian Wells and Miami and she'll get some much needed rest!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Are you sure appearance money is forbidden? The men's tour get appearance fees all the time.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Appearance money is fully legal on the men's tour. That's why you'll see someone like Andre Agassi enter a small event in Shanghai or something. That's also why you may see him lose in the first round.
On the women's tour, it is banned but there is a lot of "under the table" stuff and the WTA knows about this but usually doesn't bother. A lot of tournaments mask the appearance fee by calling it a "promotional fee", in which the player spends time at a sponsor's function or a clinic in the days leading up to the event.

·
Registered
314 Posts
According to a story in Sports Illustrated, Martina got over a million to play those two tournaments. I'm sure Venus is getting that much, or more to play this year.

Perhaps it was the plan all along to have ONE top player each year. The tournaments are paid for by the head Sheik so, if he wanted to, he could pay more than one top woman.:bounce:

Personally, I agree that Martina tired herself out by going to the Middle East. Look what happen to her the rest of the year . . . she didn't win another tournament all year. I also agree that playing Scottsdale is better for her because she will have much better competition.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts