Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SERENA is destined for the #2 ranking on the WTA tour several reasons:

1. She can beat most of the higher ranked players most of the time, except for VENUS and she has figured out how to handle Capriati.

2. SERENA is very consistent. In only 10 events last year, she accumulated 6 quarter final finishes and 4 finals, losing only 1 final.

3. She will be playing more tournaments this year.

4. She has gone farther in her first event than the no. 1 seeded player at the Australian Open.

5. She has gold shoes

6. Only hinderances to the top spot would be an injury and of course, big sis.

TR :cool:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't know about #2 ...but she will be definitely in the top3 by the end of the year!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, Tatiana, but SERENA also beat Lindsay 6-1, 6-2 at Indian Wells and on 2 other occasions last year.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The tour goes in circles. I think "#1" is a silly term. Although Martina Hingis is losing to most top 10 players, she has an unparalleled understanding for Venus Williams' game (as her record shows), and I would pick Martina over Venus in most of their matches. Yet I would pick Venus over her sister Serena. And despite Hingis' success against Venus, I'd pick Serena over Martina more often that not. So it goes in circles, if you ask me, and no player is clearly better than every other player on tour.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rock - What you said is true in some instances, but in the end we are still faced with the points and the value that goes with being #1.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
LOL TEE :)

I looove her golden shoes!!!
:) :kiss:

·
Registered
600 Posts
True. But no matter how good you get, you still have a losing record against someone.

However, right now, I definitely think Venus is the best with Serena close behind.

My power rankings:

1) Venus - how many matches in a row?
2) Serena - has looked VERY impressive after Wimbledon, and destroyed Martini in the U.S. Open
3) Hingis - Her play so far in the AI has been so clean, and her victories decisive. I think she'll move up after this tournament.
4) Lindsay Davenport - really, although she's injured, her end-of-season last year was superb. I think these four are the elite (although IMO only Hingis stands a chance against Venus, thanks to the other twos' mental blocks).
5) Monica Seles - looked impressive with Gambill and a win over Clijsters shows promise. Coupled with a great end of 2K1...
6) Kim Clijsters - her win over Justine Henin gets her to number 6. Too inconsistent to crack the top 5.
7) Justine Henin - nice final run, but losses to Venus & Clijsters show she wasn't what she was in May/June of last year, and hasn't improved.
8) Anna Kournikova - a nice semifinal run, and although she lost in the second round of the AI, she gave Serena her toughest match in month (and had more break point chances in the deciding set).
9) Anna Smashnova - Anna who? She looked impressive, whoever she is.
10)Meghann Shaughnessy - a convincing run to the semifinals of the AI demonstrates her huge potential.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
"she has figured out how to handle Capriati. "

I think its a little soon to say she's totally figured Capriati out - she has gotten over the "can't beat Capriati' hump, but she stil when 1-3 against Jenn last year, losing to her in two slams.

At the end of their carreers, I think Serena may end up the better player - and she is certaintly in better form right now - but I think its too soon to assume she's just going to woop Jenns butt everytime they play (bear in mind, she struggled to scrape out that three set win in Canada).

Either than that, seems like a reasonable assesment.

I won't bet for or against Serena - cause everytime I think she'll play more something happens (injury, sept.11) that prevents her from doing so. So we'll see what happens :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Serena is one of my favs but personally I don't think she'll be # 2 at the end of the year. I definitely don't think she's figured out Jennifer at all. The latter is still very dangerous to her. But she's definitely top three material, if she stays healthy, stops deciding for some silly reason that she's not playing a tournie she's supposed to and remains consistent.

GO SERENA!!!

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like #6 kicked .. the injury bug. :(

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
congrats to Serena and TeeRexx's prediction :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes, very well done...:(

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it looks like the prediction that I made in January has come to fruition. :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
At the rate she is going... she is destined for number 1!

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I agree WR.;)

She's actually playing as the TRUE NUMBER ONE right now.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts