Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Womens tennis has never been as much about surface as confidence. So why with Jelena saying she's not the player she was b/4 and Ana and Safina being in an obivious downward confidence spiral do some of you think clay is going to change anything?

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Womens tennis has never been as much about surface as confidence.
Not never. Navratilova on grass vs Evert on clay. Seles on clay vs Venus on grass. Surface DOES matter, even if it isn't as obvious as on the men's side.
So why with Jelena saying she's not the player she was b/4 and Ana and Safina being in an obivious downward confidence spiral do some of you think clay is going to change anything?
It won't, generally. But clay seduces you into hope because it's such an equalizer.

You can't bomb the opponent into submission on clay. You gotta grind it out. And even if it isn't your best day, on clay you can find a way. On clay, if you're smart, and your opponent is just good (or even near-elite), you can beat them when you have your 'B' game, and they have their 'A' game. You can trick/grind/seduce them into fucking up.

On grass, no way.

Put me on clay court, I'm playing chess. Put me on grass or a fast hardcourt, I'm playing blitz.

It's a different world.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I think clay will definitely help Ivanovic and Safina. Dinara has historically had her best results on clay. For Ana, that surface will give her more time to set up for her big forehand. She can obviously still penetrate and hit through the slow clay, and the speed of the court/high ball bounce help her so that she won't be swinging as wildly and erratically as she does on her forehand side on a faster surface.

Not sure about Jankovic.

Obviously Cornet and Cibulkova are two young talents who come alive between April - May because of the surface shift.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Dinara has historically had her best results on clay.
Disagree. Tier I Berlin? Tier I Tontreal and TPP

RG final clay? OZ final and Olympic final.

Safina, on her best results, is NOT a surface specific player. The surface she fails to deliver on is grass, which constitutues about 10% of the tour.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Desperate times call for desperate measures :p

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is not so much about the differences in surfaces and how clay can help Jelena Ana and Dinara's games...but rather how clay is going to bouy their confidence. Venus was distracted and played average tennis at times but she never lost confidence in her ability. I think Jelena and Ana in particular lack confidence and because of that lack of self belief clay cannot be to them what grass is to Venus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts