Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a girl with power, coordination, speed, finese, placement... In other words, she plays TENNIS, the way it ought to be played. How about those lobs over Serena's head when Serena rushed too close too fast? Can you imagine serena lobbing? Serena knows one way to play, and it isn't pretty. Hit the ball as hard as you can and hope it overpowers your opponent. That's just plain ugly. Serena was back on her heels, losing her balance, falling down, slamming shots as hard as she could into the net or out of bounds. I like tennis, not "who can hit the ball the hardest", for men as well as women. It's good to see that real athleticism is not decided by how big your arms are, but by how well you can play the game.

·
Registered
287 Posts
causalfan said:
Here's a girl with power, coordination, speed, finese, placement... In other words, she plays TENNIS, the way it ought to be played. How about those lobs over Serena's head when Serena rushed too close too fast? Can you imagine serena lobbing? Serena knows one way to play, and it isn't pretty. Hit the ball as hard as you can and hope it overpowers your opponent. That's just plain ugly. Serena was back on her heels, losing her balance, falling down, slamming shots as hard as she could into the net or out of bounds. I like tennis, not "who can hit the ball the hardest", for men as well as women. It's good to see that real athleticism is not decided by how big your arms are, but by how well you can play the game.
Good point of view! :)
I agree with you. Serena even hits the balls harder when she's down and angry with her opponents. But, still, I like Serena. I don't hate Maria Sharapova's game but I just don't quite like the attitude she puts when she's on the court. :)

·
Banned
164 Posts
What makes her special is her focus. She shrugs off bad points better than anyone I've ever seen. If anything, she seems to get pumped up after playing a wild point. Maria will be a force for a long time to come.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, the willliams sisters style wins a lot of games and titles, i just prefer a more rounded, polished game.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i forgot the fucus part, thats pretty cool. take a walk, get right back to business. I liked the kid, and wish her well

·
Registered
135 Posts
i knew that somebody would say a dumb thing like that
sorry but you are truly an imbecile
what does Serena plays, do you think she plays ping-pong out there?.
Do you think that she overpowered her way to six grand slams? Please
She would probably beat you with one percent of her ability and skills without overpowering you.

What kind of game do you think Sharapova, Seles, Davenport plays. They all plays the same.

You are the true definition on an hater. Tip toe around the real reason you do not like her

We see trough you game. Punk.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
causalfan said:
Serena's "ugly" game has won her 24 titles to date, including all the Grand Slams. Maria's "graceful" game has won her four titles to date, her Grand Slam being the only one not a Tier III (Serena already had a Tier I and a Tier II by the time she won her first Grand Slam).

I think I'll take Serena's game for now because her game has beaten everyone in the current top ten, while Sharapova's has only beaten two in the current top ten.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Why even compare style of games? Is Maria not great in her own right that her play can only be measure as good by downgrading someone else's style? Typical.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Maria's game has speed and finesse? :haha:
Serena has more speed and finesse than Maria will ever have.
Dont judge someone by their off day. Serena does hit good lobs FYI, but only when shes playing well.

·
49,001 Posts
Because she has Serena's exact game, except its packaged in a nice, European petite body that most here seem to find the most desirable!

Its pathetic, really!

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
justinhosbey said:
Because she has Serena's exact game, except its packaged in a nice, European petite body that most here seem to find the most desirable!

Its pathetic, really!

Yep....that´s the whole truth behind it.

·
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES
7,714 Posts
Maria reminded me of a 17 year old Seles...fearless, swinging away, totally focused, nothing to lose. Graf was similar at the same age....(and to a lesser extent even Dokic for a while...although Dokic obviously doesn't posses the same service advantage.)

It is whether this fearlessness can continue beyond 20 years old or so...and transfer into what is needed to keep her at the top of the very top of the game. I hope so.

She certainly impressed me this week...both Frazier and Sugiyama tried everything they knew against her...and were both playing well.....Davenport dominated her for a set and a half and finally ran out of steam....
Serena had all the pressure in the final...and hasn't looked it great touch all year.

She is a great player, with a game well suited to the grass...she hits hard and heavy, but without huge loopy strokes, she serves very well, she is clever with her shot selection and moves well for such a tall girl.

She certainly had a well executed game plan against Serena....hard and deep down the middle...which seems to be the most effective way of attacking her (and her sister).

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
It just puzzles me how Serena didn´t try to test Maria´s movement by moving her side to side...Serena just kept going for those cross-court forehands and Maria was there waiting all the time...she should have gone more dtl to test Maria..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts