Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the RogersATT Cup for two days many of the matches were held up by sometimes lengthy rain delays. After the rain would stop, they would bring these 'blowing machines' (forgive my lack of technical knowledge) which would take a long time to dry the full court which would later be scrubbed with towels to remove the rest of the moisture. In the Mary Pierce match, as soon as the machines were done, it started raining again. The drying of the courts often took much more time than the spell of rain itself. So my friend and I started wondering why the event organizers hadn't invested in a tarp that they could pull across the court as soon as play was suspended. Presumably, the blowing machines are expensive to rent and operate and the tournament could save money and time by using those machines less and investing in a covering...

so why no tarp?

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
because they're dumbasses. :)

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ASV_FAN said:
I always think the same thing! But I suppose that water would collect on top of the tarp so they would need drainage and possibly a tent shaped tarp a la Wimbledon Centre and Court 1.
The centre court at the RogersATT cup is surrounded by drains so the water accumulation on some sort of covering shouldn't be too bad. I was especially thinking of what they did in wimbledon when I thought about the tarp thing.

btw, do they often have rain delays at the US Open? I don't remember seeing one. When/if they do, do they do the same thing and wait for it to end and then bring out the blowers and towels?

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
well they can be very expensive, and plus they are building a new facility next year, why waste money on it if it won't fit on the courts next year??? but the clean up crew in Toronto was MUCH more slower than here in Montreal. here the courts were dry and ready to go in a matter of 15 minutes, no joke. they have to get more people drying the courts, and better equipment, and things will be rolling much quicker when coming back from rain delays

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naldo said:
well they can be very expensive, and plus they are building a new facility next year, why waste money on it if it won't fit on the courts next year??? but the clean up crew in Toronto was MUCH more slower than here in Montreal. here the courts were dry and ready to go in a matter of 15 minutes, no joke. they have to get more people drying the courts, and better equipment, and things will be rolling much quicker when coming back from rain delays
oh wow, I didn't know things were faster in Montreal. In one of the matches I was at, it rained for about 15 minutes and then it took about 45 minutes to dry the courts :eek:

You're right though, they probably didn't think of investing in something permanent with a new facility coming up next year but it does seem expensive to use the drying equipment for such a long period of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.