Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She claims she is to tired to play yet she is appearing on all of these late night shows. When V&S did that they were hundreds of threads claiming they are not into the sports and they are not doing enough for tennis. Can we just say double standards people.

·
Registered
114,478 Posts
Maria did one talk show, Leno, in the past two weeks. She's training hard now, getting ready for San Diego.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, you know how that goes. But I think you need to cut Maria some slack, allow her to enjoy her sucess. The only problem would be if she allows these things to take away from her tennis. It's still early. Let's see how she handles things in the next few months.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GANGSTABACKHAND! said:
Well, you know how that goes. But I think you need to cut Maria some slack, allow her to enjoy her sucess. The only problem would be if she allows these things to take away from her tennis. It's still early. Let's see how she handles things in the next few months.

I do understand cutting her some slack but I wish people had cut the sisters some slack when they were in the same position. I just like being fair that's all.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
boggs570 said:
I do understand cutting her some slack but I wish people had cut the sisters some slack when they were in the same position. I just like being fair that's all.
but some ppl think it's only a bad thing to be doing all these extra things during weeks where players have pulled out of tournaments and stuff. do u understand that?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i think maria is going to be another ana :lol: she will think she is to good and so hot and then she will suck in tennis:( i hope im wrong

·
Registered
114,478 Posts
Right now, Maria could be all over Hollywood, if she wanted to be.
She's staying out of the spotlight on purpose.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
boggs570 said:
She claims she is to tired to play yet she is appearing on all of these late night shows. When V&S did that they were hundreds of threads claiming they are not into the sports and they are not doing enough for tennis. Can we just say double standards people.
She should be put in prison, I think...

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
boggs570 said:
You are the type of person who should be starting these threads about Maria! I'm sure lots of people are thinking about it, but you complain that no one is complaining about it...then go ahead and complain about it!

But I think some of the lack of blame comes from the fact that she is 17, and not only is it hard to believe she would be sick of tennis already, but that she just won a major and her results have been definitely on an upswing, while V&S have been injured, haven't won majors in a year, and seen their rankings drop out of the top ten.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
there is, it is just that when your fav got complained, you aware of it more.

It always happen, and same point as alwayshingis, it is very hypocritical fo you saying people are not complaining when you start a thread about it :confused:

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
tjaa....what can one say?! Some people can and some can´t.....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Well, she's almost reached the maximum number of tournaments she can play in one year. Dropping out evens out her schedule before the USOpen and provides a top name player when everyone else buggers off to Athens, helping tournaments that need it.

Whereas the Williams never reach the minimum number needed.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well, its no doubt racism, pure and simple. Anybody who has not condemned Sharapova yet must be a card carrying member of the KKK at the very least.

But to get serious for a moment folks, I don't remember "hundreds of threads" condemning Venus and Serena for, within a couple of weeks of their FIRST big wins, doing a little TV work.

What people blasted the Willies for was their long and colorful history of pulling out of tournament after tournament after tournament, often for injuries that nobody seemed to see when they played, Indian Wells being the most glaring example. People also blasted them for not playing each other, saying that if other top players did that, there would be no tour.

Then there was the little matter of the apparent tanking of matches, something almost everyone thought was going on for a time.

But anyway, I happen to think Sharapova can come in for a little criticism, for pulling out of L-A, but still managing to play World Team Tennis.

I think that is a questionable decision on her part and not in the end likely to make her too many new fans. More people in LA probably felt cheated than people in Newport Beach felt blessed by her appearance in that meaningless tank town event. And since she lost her singles match against a 15 year old, it looks even stranger.

But in her defense, she is going to come under the same kind of scrutiny now that Hingis, Kournikova and the Willies came under and so there will be people either cheering of condemning her every move very shortly.

Truth is, you don't seem to get much of a honeymoon any longer and being the queen in today's tennis is about as secure a job as the women had who married Henry VIII.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Yeah, tony....I forgot that everybody on the tour are sisters of each other! And have people found any evidence of the tanking or not being injured?!

why was it tanking?! Because the matches were poor?! Hmm....Elena D vs Myskina, Justine vs Kim...now THOSE were some great matches, but no word. Oooh, they´re close friends, it must be hard for them to play each other...

But so is life. Some people can and some people can´t.

Reactions: selesfan

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
omg i wonder what kind of splash maria will make at Acura Classics

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"What people blasted the Willies for was their long and colorful history of pulling out of tournament after tournament after tournament, often for injuries that nobody seemed to see when they played, Indian Wells being the most glaring example. People also blasted them for not playing each other, saying that if other top players did that, there would be no tour."

You mean like when Martina and Chris used to schedule thier events so that at least one of them was always present, or how Navratilova, purposely avoided Steffi?

Perhaps Nike encouraged Lindsay to tank her match against Maria, so that thier up an coming star could play thier brightest star.

Perhaps Martina Hingis, tanked her 02 A.O. match in hopes of strenthening her lawsuit against her former sneaker provider.

Perhaps Kim got bagelled in two major finals because she thought she could use them to help feed underpriveliged kids.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Maria pulled out of the JP Morgan Chase.

True the world is full of double standards, this we know. Of course life will not be fair regarding two black tennis females while comparing the same situations with their white counter parts. Such is life.

Maria will get criticism if she beats players, and you can count on this.

·
Banned
199 Posts
cuase people actually like maria

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
well its more than they LIKE Maria, they just HATE Venus and Serena more so.

Are you 12? lmao

1 - 20 of 69 Posts