Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agassi and Roddick go on at night almost every match early at the Open-It's as sure as the sun rising.

Their fans are happy, TV is happy.

But I'll tell you this- night matches are bad for Agassi-Roddick.

It sets them up to lose when these vampires finally see the light of day.
A fan wrote of night matches, "It conserves energy." That's true, but it's like preparing for the hottest conditions by playing in air conditioning.

The MOST important men's matches (the semis and finals) will be played during the day.

If I were Agassi or Roddick I'd say no at some point to constant night play. It's cost Agassi in the past, and it could hurt Roddick here at the Open this year.

This is less of issue for the ladies. Their final will be under the lights.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Irma-Last year Agassi played

1R:Ginepri-at night.
The USTA did him a favor in rounds 2 and 3-day matches. Round 3 they like big names during the day for TV (CBS).
4R-night
QF-night-vs Max M.

Agassi was toast after Hewitt ran him around for 4 sets in the semis. It was the second semi of a long hot day. THEN he had to turn around and face Sampras the next day.

That's the second problem with the men's draw at the US-the back to back semis then final are murder and hurt the quality of the final.

But that's a different problem.

I'm not saying Andre and Roddick should play no night matches-but come round 4 or quarters time I'd demand one of those matches be during the day. Otherwise they often pay for it later.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At Agassi's age you could be right Alfa-but it's bad news for A-Rod. The most vulnerable time(s) for both will be when they have to play their first day matches this weekend.

And fitness is relative. Roddick was done in by his 5 setter with the Moroccan in Oz.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Backhand-he often doesn't play more than 2 because he doesn't usually last that long. As I've said-the day matches following night have often done Andre in.

Bingo Experimentee. Andre HAS won more Aussie Opens. And I'd be willing to bet Andre plays LESS night matches at Oz too.

Oh well. It may be just my wacky theory and no one has to buy it, but I think I'm on to something.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points Tennis Canada:)

I would argue that night play is still a factor though. Andre doesn't go on under the lights as often at Oz, hence his OPPONENTS have the disadvantage in that regard there.

And at the US Open Agassi has lost quite a few matches before the finals (and before Sampras) during the day after a night match.

My basic point is you want conditions as close to possible as they will be in later matches. I've seen this first hand-as Agassi was always put under the lights here in Washington. It's no way to prepare for a day final.

Pardon the pun-The difference is night and day :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.