Tennis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why there has to be absolute silence in Tennis for the players to play. Other sports enjoy and encourage crowd support. It only makes it more fun for the fans. I would laugh if someone walked into a basketball game and told the people around them to Shhh, quite during lay-ups please. For crying out loud....when they try and shoot a freethrow....the crowd waves styrofoam like nuts to make them miss. IF that isn't distracting, I don't know what is.

However, I do not see b-ball players saying *ya know the other team really used the crowd to win this match, they waved those damned things in my face and made me miss my shots*. Much how people discredit Andy Roddick's wins because the crowd was on his side. And at the french open.........the crowd wasn't obviously pulling for Henin-Hardenne, and booing Serena for ABSOLUTELY no reason when it was Justine who lied to get a point. Come on people.....I think tennis has stayed stag too long.

It's a sport, you are supposed to cheer and raise hoop-lah. If its all about concentration, other athletes obviously get through the noise. I know in a track meet, a huge crowd yelling only makes me run faster. It's no wonder people view tennis as "a soft sport".....there are too many rules for people that pay to see the players..........can't cheer, and this is a sport? Ah well.....just my 2 cents. :eek:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Yes, it's because tennis originated among rich white people who were all "prim and proper." It wasn't about entertainment and energy.

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
stupid fucking crackers :p

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I think it is mainly to hear line calls. If the crowd were just constantly cheering like a football match then the crowd and players would not hear calls. Also in other sports when you have a team to cheer, you cheer against another set of fans. In tennis you will get a lot of people who are there to watch the tennis but not for just one player in particular. And tennis matches can last 3-4 hours sometimes, so even if the rules were dropped and you could stand and cheer during play, not many would do it for 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I can understand about the need to hear line calls. However, easily a system could be made to show the players the call. And as far as crowds cheering for hours....even though professional wrestling such as the WWF arent "real", those people hardly sit down or shut up from cheering. And who says they have to cheer the whole time. But if you want to cheer........why should you be told to shut up.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
actually i think it is also for the players to hear the ball, cause that helps in their timing

if the crowds are so loud, they cant hear the ball coming of their rackets and will seriously mistime the ball

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.