Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why all the sudden she's playing so well??? She's been struggling her entire career, and suddenly she made a break through last year. I have always liked her, and i'm glad that finally she is doing very well. Congrats Alicia

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
First she got healthy, she has had her share of injuries. everthing finally clicked for her mentally. She played myskina so tough at the FO only to have her go win the FO, then she surel must have believed.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
yeah - injury off her mind, and alot of work brought her here.
as opposed to alot of commentators her rise started before stokholm in my opinion, but it took her time before results were due.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
the simple answer is hard work. she started out as mainly a serve volleyer and has gradually worked on each stroke and improved it and changed the whole way she plays tennis. she is now mentally tougher and she is injury free finally along with also having the confidence in herself to be able to play with the best players out their.

anyone who has been following her career for the past few years knows that she didnt have a sudden breakthrough. the past 2 or 3 seasons she has improved every season. in 2003 she won a her first title and reached a few more finals. in 2002 she was pushing really good players but was faultering mentally when it mattered on the big points. she's just worked really hard and finally its all starting to come together.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Well her bronze medal win at the Olympics played its part for sure - she gained so much confidence after beating a series of top players - and then her indoor season took off from that winning Zurich and Luxembourg and her winning streak continued into the new year in Sydney.

One tournament can surely give a great boost to the system and she has never looked back.

·
Premium Member
182,687 Posts
and having a comedian for a coach helps too. David Taylor is great with her unlike asswipe Roger Rasheed :eek:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Isn't Rasheed the one who's putting Hewitt back up there?

·
Premium Member
182,687 Posts
~Kirilenko#1fan~ said:
Isn't Rasheed the one who's putting Hewitt back up there?
he would have done it by himself. Those two get on, both nutters.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It's the drugs she's on - confidence is a very powerful upper. ;)

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
rhz said:
I wonder why all the sudden she's playing so well??? She's been struggling her entire career, and suddenly she made a break through last year. I have always liked her, and i'm glad that finally she is doing very well. Congrats Alicia
I think she read my book 'Passing Shots' and has been inspired. Who wouldn't be eh?

;)

·
Premium Member
182,687 Posts
Pamela Shriver said:
I think she read my book 'Passing Shots' and has been inspired. Who wouldn't be eh?

;)
If only you had the book to read while you were playing ;)

Reactions: Pamela Shriver

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
If only you had the book to read while you were playing ;)
Ahh true. I was too busy firing down ping-pong serves. I guess I can't take my own medicine!

;)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
She developed her weapons, and strengthened her weaknesses. Also, she is confident as anyone now, since she knows she can compete with the best, and since she knows she is dangerous to anyone.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
It's a combo of a lot of things.

- Better groundstrokes
- More aggressive on big points
- She's been uninjured for a long time
- Finally realising she CAN beat anyone

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.