Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about Kim deserves world number #1 because she won
that and consistent all year is bullshit.
Justine is the one whom I consider most deserving to be number #1 because of the following reasons:

She is the only one who is able to beat the current world Number #1
in a grandslam;
She is the one who won grandslam beside Serena this year;
Winning grandslam and beating defending champion and world number
#1 player is a requirement that warrants the number #1 position.
Nobody seems to come close in mentioning these reasons. Most of
the Belgian posters only want someone from their country to be
number #1 no matter how and under what circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
Ryan16 said:
Justine is #3, and is like 700 or more ponits behind Kim. Kim has enoug points to take over the #1 ranking, Justine does not. It's pretty simple actually.
actually is not that simple, and they are basing their points on ability and not points. kim is getting close only b/c of the amont of tournie she is playing. Justine is doing the same thing yes, you can say that, but at the same time, she has the "stats" that all the former "new" number 1 got when they were on their way to number 1.

This is what Im talking about. Why the fuck is everyone changin their opinion on number 1? It used to be that inroder for anyone to consider any player for number 1. They had to either consistently beat number 1. or Beat number 1 and win a slam. Now you don't even have to beat number 1, and you don't even have to win a slam, and people are considering players for "number 1" status.

Justine has done something every up and coming number 1 has done. And this is exactly why she in my opinion is more deserving of number 1 than what kim is. we base things on how they were done back in the day. and back in the day, the same ranking system existed. therefore you can keep going w/ it, and the way the players back then did things.

Players like to be compared with the greats from back then. Its safe to say that Justine is more comparable with the greats form back then, then Kim Clijsters can right now. She has done things the greats have done, that Kim Clijsters has not done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
Remember the talk about the "chosen one" (the one to beat Serena and end her GS streak) at the end of the previous year. That was Kim ... No word of Justine. And if we look at what has happened this year, it looks like Justine was the one they sought.

Justine always goes unnoticed. Also here. 700 points is that much if you have almost nothing to defend. If Kim does it bad in the next hardcourt events (by an injury or something, because I do not see her losing early) and Justine does great at San Diego and Toronto, she will come very close to Kim & Serena. If she does it VERY good at the US Open (beating Serena & Venus/Davenport and Kim not getting far), she might become number one. But all of this is VERY unlikely.

Her bigger chance will come at the end of the year. She is quite good indoors and has not that much to defend (title in Linz, semi in Zürich & Leipzig, early round in Filderstadt) ... And the Masters are maybe her biggest chance: Kim has a lot of points to defend (700+), Serena a final, Justine only got to the quarters and has a better ranking in the champs race now.

She is overlooked, but that is good. If Kim gets injured (which is possible since she plays too much singles AND doubles), she will have to take her chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,564 Posts
Wow Sernaslam :eek: :D

Ryan it's not if she's close to it or not but why Justine wouldn't deserve it to be the next number 1. And it doesn't happen often but I can agree with Serenaslam' post above :)
I don't think many people dislike the fact of Kim beinig number 1 but most of them would rather see her winning from the Sisters and/or take a slam before she gets there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
That´s funny indeed! They always overlook her but It´s Justine who´s having the better results! She beat both Williams before Kim did, won a tier I before Kim did, Hell even won a slam before Kim did. And actually is BEATING Serena......well, I guess it´s better to be overlooked!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
928 Posts
Because Kim has won 8 tournaments within the last 10 months?....is that enough?.....Psssst......Jennifer Capriati did won 8 tournaments in the last 10 years!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim Clijsters :worship: :worship: :worship:


:worship: :worship: :worship: No. 1 player in the world :worship: :worship: :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,738 Posts
Why can't people count? Why do people only take the last months or either the entire career into account instead of realising it's about an entire year, no more, no less? Why does Nuriboy hate Belgians so much? Why do people confuse 'beating someone' with 'having the ability to beat someone'. Why whine about Kim and not Lindsay or Hingis?

So many whys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,564 Posts
Toontje said:
Because Kim has won 8 tournaments within the last 10 months?....is that enough?.....Psssst......Jennifer Capriati did won 8 tournaments in the last 10 years!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim Clijsters :worship: :worship: :worship:


:worship: :worship: :worship: No. 1 player in the world :worship: :worship: :worship:

Ok Rosmalen she didn't "won" :p so that's 7 great WIN's :)
Well Justine won 'only' four (beating Kim and Serena twice :p) but I bet that every player would give 4 tournies in return for 1 Slam ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
Why can't people count? Why do people only take the last months or either the entire career into account instead of realising it's about an entire year, no more, no less? Why does Nuriboy hate Belgians so much? Why do people confuse 'beating someone' with 'having the ability to beat someone'. Why whine about Kim and not Lindsay or Hingis?

So many whys.
Having the ability to beat someone, you say?! That´s exactly Kim! Justine HAS beaten Serena, Justine HAS won a slam. Kim has plenty of titles this year....right. But compare them to what Serena and Justine have: Serena: 2 slams, Tier I and a Tier II. Justine: One Slam, Two Tier I´s and a tier II. Kim: two tier I´s and the rest tier II or lower. See?! Kim´s winning plenty of titles, but she isn´t winning the BIG ones!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
928 Posts
Only three players won 4 tournies this year..... most other player have nothing to give!

Kim beat Justine three times this year.

Head to head:
Kim-Justine: 8-4


F Hertogenb. June 22 2003 K Clijsters(1) - J Henin-Hardenne(2) 6-74 3-0
F Roland Garros June 8 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(4) - K Clijsters(2) 6-0 6-4
F Berlin May 11 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(3) - K Clijsters(1) 4-6 6-4 7-5
SF Antwerp Feb 16 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 7-63
SF Sydney Jan 12 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 6-3
QF Championsh Nov 10 2002 K Clijsters(5) - J Henin-Hardenne(4) 6-2 6-1
SF Rome May 19 2002 J Henin-Hardenne(5) - K Clijsters(3) 7-5 6-2
QF Australian O. Jan 27 2002 K Clijsters(4) - J Henin-Hardenne(6) 6-2 6-3
QF Sydney Jan 13 2002 K Clijsters(3) - J Henin-Hardenne(5) 7-65 6-2
F Hertogenb. June 24 2001 J Henin-Hardenne(2) - K Clijsters(1) 6-4 3-6 6-3
SF Roland Garros June 10 2001 K Clijsters(12) - J Henin-Hardenne(14) 2-6 7-5 6-3
3 Indian W. Mar 18 2001 K Clijsters(14) - J Henin-Hardenne(17) 1-6 6-4 6-3


!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim Clijsters :worship: :worship: :worship:


:worship: :worship: :worship: No. 1 player in the world :worship: :worship: :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Toontje said:
Only three players won 4 tournies this year..... most other player have nothing to give!

Kim beat Justine three times this year.

Head to head:
Kim-Justine: 8-4


F Hertogenb. June 22 2003 K Clijsters(1) - J Henin-Hardenne(2) 6-74 3-0
F Roland Garros June 8 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(4) - K Clijsters(2) 6-0 6-4
F Berlin May 11 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(3) - K Clijsters(1) 4-6 6-4 7-5
SF Antwerp Feb 16 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 7-63
SF Sydney Jan 12 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 6-3
QF Championsh Nov 10 2002 K Clijsters(5) - J Henin-Hardenne(4) 6-2 6-1
SF Rome May 19 2002 J Henin-Hardenne(5) - K Clijsters(3) 7-5 6-2
QF Australian O. Jan 27 2002 K Clijsters(4) - J Henin-Hardenne(6) 6-2 6-3
QF Sydney Jan 13 2002 K Clijsters(3) - J Henin-Hardenne(5) 7-65 6-2
F Hertogenb. June 24 2001 J Henin-Hardenne(2) - K Clijsters(1) 6-4 3-6 6-3
SF Roland Garros June 10 2001 K Clijsters(12) - J Henin-Hardenne(14) 2-6 7-5 6-3
3 Indian W. Mar 18 2001 K Clijsters(14) - J Henin-Hardenne(17) 1-6 6-4 6-3


!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim Clijsters :worship: :worship: :worship:


:worship: :worship: :worship: No. 1 player in the world :worship: :worship: :worship:

Too bad she didn´t even show up for the BIGGEST one!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,001 Posts
Toontje said:
Only three players won 4 tournies this year..... most other player have nothing to give!

Kim beat Justine three times this year.

Head to head:
Kim-Justine: 8-4


F Hertogenb. June 22 2003 K Clijsters(1) - J Henin-Hardenne(2) 6-74 3-0
F Roland Garros June 8 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(4) - K Clijsters(2) 6-0 6-4
F Berlin May 11 2003 J Henin-Hardenne(3) - K Clijsters(1) 4-6 6-4 7-5
SF Antwerp Feb 16 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 7-63
SF Sydney Jan 12 2003 K Clijsters(2) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-2 6-3
QF Championsh Nov 10 2002 K Clijsters(5) - J Henin-Hardenne(4) 6-2 6-1
SF Rome May 19 2002 J Henin-Hardenne(5) - K Clijsters(3) 7-5 6-2
QF Australian O. Jan 27 2002 K Clijsters(4) - J Henin-Hardenne(6) 6-2 6-3
QF Sydney Jan 13 2002 K Clijsters(3) - J Henin-Hardenne(5) 7-65 6-2
F Hertogenb. June 24 2001 J Henin-Hardenne(2) - K Clijsters(1) 6-4 3-6 6-3
SF Roland Garros June 10 2001 K Clijsters(12) - J Henin-Hardenne(14) 2-6 7-5 6-3
3 Indian W. Mar 18 2001 K Clijsters(14) - J Henin-Hardenne(17) 1-6 6-4 6-3


!

:worship: :worship: :worship: Kim Clijsters :worship: :worship: :worship:


:worship: :worship: :worship: No. 1 player in the world :worship: :worship: :worship:
you can't compare kim and justine based on head-to-heads! In order to have an objective view you have to look at them individual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Two GS titles huh?! Too bad they don´t count in singles!!! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
Kim this, Kim that ... I want to add something: f*** Kim :rolleyes: :wavey: I could do exactly the same with Justine, but it is plain annoying Toontje. I'd say f*** Justine after it too.

Justine holds 5 titles (2002: Linz; 2003: Dubai, Charleston, Berlin, Roland Garros). If she wasn't forced to retire after having a 1 set to 0 lead in Rosmalen she would hold 6 titles and Kim 7 ... That is a very small difference and no difference if you look to the importance of the titles.

Let Kim have all the attention. Let's see if she can convert the expectations into results. Justine has already done what Kim supposed to do this year and she'll be lurking to do it again ...

SerenaSlam :worship:
 
1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top