Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason why Jenn slumped over the past 12 months or so is completely due to self belief and being effected after losing nclose matches to other top 7 players including Amelie, Kim, Justine and Williams, the many occasions that the tough ones didnt end up going her way took a toll on Jenny, the same way this occured famously to Gabriela Sabatini in her career..whether it be choking or simply being unfortunate in close matches, this does effect self confidence.

but Jenn has recently shown signs of bouncing back, and has displayed bettering form and also is fitter.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
She's like JLo, Jenny on the mental block.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I think alot of it has been mental, and I also agree to a point that maybe getting anoher coaches perspective on her game could be beneficial.. I dont think she should drop Stefano completley though...
I aslo think she has shown improvement in her last few tourneys, so once everything comes back together 100% for her, she is going to be a contender again..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
All she does is react to what her opponent does...when is she gonna start forcing the issue?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that initially she got passed up when everyone was gunning for her in 2001. She held on to her fight, fitness, and game for a while after that. But, the repeated losses took their toll. She lost her mental edge and her fitness and game suffered. Now she seems to be coming back. But, if she doesn't dissect the top players' games and start consistently trouncing them, she'll still lose the close ones. Some players can play "their" game and always come out on top. Jennifer's game is power and right now she can be overpowered by Lindsay, Venus, and Serena. Kim, Justine, and Amelie can frustrate her by getting every ball back and mixing up the pace. Jennifer needs to get proactive against these specific opponents, work the net, and look to finish them off in two decisive sets. She needs to reestablish the intimidation and fear factor she had in 2001.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Just read an uncomplimentary article with the headline "Jennifer Capriati Meltdown" (tabloid stuff) where it says that Matt Perry's womanizing and pressures of stardom taking a toll on tennis star! The article goes on to say that after losing to Serena at Wimbledon she cried in her hotel room...that she has fired her coach (Harold Soloman ...I thought that was Anna's coach?) and that she is crushed because Matthew Perry is seeing other women?? I don't believe they ever "were" an item.....just
friends" as his show implied. He was a former junior champion in Canada and I believe they became friends just working out with playing tennis..probably at a star tennis event...because he was starring in a play in London..naturally he went to watch Jennifer at Wimbledon....and another tabloid untruth is that she is afraid of losing her shoe company endorsement..I don't think so!!The article concludes by saying she is so depressed she is back under her father's thumb because in her despair she's been "running wild"?? Go figure? :p :angel: :tape: :eek:

barmaid :wavey:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Listen, we've been hearing the "I think Jen is better now, she's fitter now, her attitude's better" talk for nearly a year now. What she's accomplished in her comeback has been a great story and accomplishment and all but unless I see:
  • Her winning a tournament (whether Serena or Venus are present or not)
  • Her beating Serena or Venus at least 2 out of 3 matches over a certain period
    or
  • Her getting at least "pretty close" to winning a Grand Slam again (making the finals)
I'd have to say that her best tennis days are behind her. Unfortunately, time's not on her side either, you know. I mean, it's like, really, you know?

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
JenCap has slumped over the last 12 months because her game has not adapted whilst others have.

She hits hard and actually can serve quite well but she just doesn't have enough off the ground to threaten the top players. By that I mean she doesn't go for that little bit more against the top players, preferring consistency.

To me, her fitness these days isn't much of an issue. She's reached the limits of her game and needs to make some changes to make the next step - she's capable of it I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
20,085 Posts
I just really think the other players have stepped up their levels. I don't think it's about Fitness as the commentators keeps saying. Jen is frustrated because she feels that the work and training she is putting in is not paying off.

IMO, when she was winning noone could step up to her instead of Venus. Serena, Justine, Kim and even Amelie would choke against Jen. Martina too. So, I think Jen was caught off guard when they all started to challenge her. I don't think she was use to it at all.

Also her serve is a liability when she plays Davenport/Serena. She has always had a struggle with it. And IMO, the serve is one of the most important skills in women's tennis because if you can hold it easily, you will be hard to beat. Honestly, I think if she was to beat Serena again she would just lose in the next round to Kim or Justine.

Who would of ever thought that she would come back and win 3 slams when she was written off completely as a has been? IMO, if she never wins one again it does not matter. She has 3 slams and still will be considered a champion. Now whether she wins one more or not depends on what happens with everyone elses level.

Will Serena get into acting and start to slip?
Will Kim's level drop?
Will Justine keep playing at the same level?
Will Davenport let Capriati win one?
Will Venus relinquish her dominance over Capriati?

The most important question is this:

Will Capriati stop playing defense and step it up?

My answer is: We won't know until it happens.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
why should she shut up? shes won more tournements and slams then all of the girls in the top 7 other than the william sisters...no i think YOU should shut up, please

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Trish101 said:
why should she shut up? shes won more tournements and slams then all of the girls in the top 7 other than the william sisters...no i think YOU should shut up, please

I think you should check your facts again. For someone with such a long career, she has surprisingly little titles to her name.

Of course they can never take away the 3 GS and the Olympic Gold

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
exactly, thats what i was implying, great smash....its true Jennifer has not gotten the 50 titles she SHOULD have by now...but 'ifs' and 'if only' dont suffice, so whatever!-but yeah-Slam and gold wise, jens tied for 3rd

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
i mean if you think about it, i consider Jens career a dissapointment, sure, she still has an outside chace of making the hall of fame (only because of the comeback and the 3 slams that happened) but it kills me that she wasted her talent all those years on NOTHING! ...she could have been #1 for 6 yrs straight, there was no REAL competition against her if she had played her best, the young sisters would have been no match, it just sucks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.