Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when all it takes is consistancy, never having a winning head to head over the two to three BEST players on the tennis tour and earning no slams in the process?

Are we expected to see more #1's with this kind of record? In other sports this would not warrant a true #1 position?

WTA change your current ranking system. And yes I would want it changed while VENUS was #1.

MORE points should be rewarded for players who DEFEND their titles because the tour is set up for the person with no points to defend than for the one defended and won it again.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disposable just think of your Kimmie as a Cleveland Brown during a Sunday game on my screen. lmao. I will continue with this as long as it warrants it.

In the name of sports I must protest. Martina also was a Cleveland Brown. It's ludicrus for the sport.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what I mean is that a person can win a title but yet player B can lose it. then next year the person who won the title or slam HAS to defend in order to lose NO POINTS. Why not give that player who DEFENDED some BONUS points? As it is they who will be penalized if they don't win. The loser has nothing to lose so if they gain points they will not be penalized.

The wta penalized players for winning but yet gives privaledges to those who lose.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a right because I am a tennis fan. I pay money to see matches. It is not my job to find a new system.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not about Kim and she should keep on playing tennis. I just think the system is flawed and players like Kim are not really worthy of a #1 spot. No fault of Kim though. The WTA tour system is flawed. It will rank a player who does not reflect the true #1 rank.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
what I mean is that a person can win a title but yet player B can lose it. then next year the person who won the title or slam HAS to defend in order to lose NO POINTS. Why not give that player who DEFENDED some BONUS points? As it is they who will be penalized if they don't win. The loser has nothing to lose so if they gain points they will not be penalized.

The wta penalized players for winning but yet gives privaledges to those who lose.
Why do you think a person has an inherent right to keep points they earned 53 weeks ago? If you were a good player at last years Stanford event, that doesn't make you a good player now. Defend your title, final, semifinal, or whatever your previous years result was, or the ranking system will call you a less capable player, which will be 100% true.

(Granted, this applies less to Venus, who is currently injured. However, this is why the season is 46 or so weeks long. Venus has had ample chances when she was healthy to add tournaments that would reduce the sting of having to miss Stanford.)

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disposable I do vote and I also pay monies to tennis. I can complain and it is my right. Who is going to take the right to complain away from me? Show me a system that says I have no right to complain bitch and moan? I can filibuster as long as I wish.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Disposable why not give BONUS points for defending a title or slam? It is not about what they did LAST 52 weeks but what they did at that time. Why do you keep thinking of the tennis year as 52 weeks when it comes to how the player is playing? 52 weeks is past tense and the tour is always current.

Ok, what if Kim does not defend all her points next year but wins 2 slams and will be ranked #3? Yet she was ranked #1 with none?

HoneyChild there is a problem. Of course you're a Kim fan and I expect you to be behind this, I just think the system is not doing Kim nor did it do Martina any favors by giving her this false ranking prestige.

·
Chionophile
40,210 Posts
Just keep in mind that the ranking system is only there to make seedings in tournaments possible and it's doing a good job at that. The #1 player need not be the best player in the world at the moment. That's why we have tournaments to see who are the best players right now.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
disposable you look at my arguements the same way I am looking at the system and Kim's hollow #1 if she gets there. LOL.

Bananna,that made no sense. I care about tennis(the sport) as well as my favs. I am going to an ATP event soon. wtf?

·
Chionophile
40,210 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Disposable why not give BONUS points for defending a title or slam?
If Serena got bonus points for defending Wimbledon 2003, what happens when she defends Wimbledon 2004? Give her MORE bonus points. Where does it end? What happens in the case of Martina N with her 6 consecutive Wimbledons? She would've continued to be #1 1988 with that many bonus points. :eek:

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sam a player who defends a slam or a title can just get a certain number of bonus points. Hmm maybe slam points plus 400 points.

I am just giving suggestions on how the system can reflect the BEST player.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.