Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
There used to be the connolly cup between the us and the usa. But it was cancelled in 1991 I believe.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's the dumbest competition ever and I am glad that the WTA is not involved. The event will die as soon as Federer retires anyways.
Agreed, it's a joke exhibition tournament which adds nought to the prestige of the players involved.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Nobody would watch it anyway. As someone said above this competition was carried mainly by big3.
However this year it will be played without any of the BIG3 members for the first time.

On topic - I think adding women to the equation would turn it into a farce, another Hopman Cup no one wants to watch.

·
*Sesil*
22,151 Posts
Fun fact about this, back in 2002 there actually was a one off event Ryder cup style in Dublin called “The Collins Cup” was an exhibition tournament between USA and Europe. From vague memory the US were Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Seles and someone else and the Europeans were Kournikova, Hantuchova, Schett, Majoli and I think Dokic but she withdrew.

The event was a total con. I went as a kid and the tennis itself was fine, and for your ticket you got tons of freebies, a lanyard I still have. But when we got to our seats there was no row X, Y, Z but the ticket people were like “oh the whole top row are those rows”. A lie but since it was half full wasn’t an issue. Later emerged the guy running it paid nobody and the charity it was in aid of never got a penny

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Because Federer himself steeped in enough structural misogyny to prevent him from expending any financial or social capital to promote women's tennis. In spite of his blandly agreeable persona, propped up by the Lady Macbeth that is Mirka, he doesn't care about women's sport, and views tennis as a finite 'pie', any woman taking away something from the men.

Only if Gauff really takes off and becomes Team8's primary source of new money will Federer come out pro-women's Laver Cup.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Not a fan of exho events. I don’t miss the Hopman cup.
I liked the Hopman Cup because it made sense in the calendar - give a handful of players an on-ramp to the season with guaranteed matches but low stakes. The Laver Cup truly is an exhibition, and the format is garbage.

My preference would've been for a non-national event, a tournament where Barty and Auger-Aliassime are teammates, or some other seemingly random pairing. I'd far rather see top players play doubles with other top players than top players and really low ranked players play doubles.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because Federer himself steeped in enough structural misogyny to prevent him from expending any financial or social capital to promote women's tennis. In spite of his blandly agreeable persona, propped up by the Lady Macbeth that is Mirka, he doesn't care about women's sport, and views tennis as a finite 'pie', any woman taking away something from the men.

Only if Gauff really takes off and becomes Team8's primary source of new money will Federer come out pro-women's Laver Cup.
But would Federer really earn much money from this event ?
Its a team8 event but I cant believe it make Roger rich

Its problably pure to promote men tennis ?

Also womens tennis need more promotion and with all the new stars and some old stars there are enough players who could play in a team world and a team europe

I think the womens version must be as entertaining as the mens versions

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
But would Federer really earn much money from this event ?
Its a team8 event but I cant believe it make Roger rich

Its problably pure to promote men tennis ?

Also womens tennis need more promotion and with all the new stars and some old stars there are enough players who could play in a team world and a team europe

I think the womens version must be as entertaining as the mens versions
He's a 50% owner of Team8, so.....yes, he would make money off anything that makes money for Team8.

If the women's version is as entertaining as the men's, then we better steer clear - women's tennis is so exciting now, it doesn't need something as boring and irrelevant as an exhibition with a jacked scoring system to stall it in the dark ages.

·
Registered
33,413 Posts
Fun fact about this, back in 2002 there actually was a one off event Ryder cup style in Dublin called “The Collins Cup” was an exhibition tournament between USA and Europe. From vague memory the US were Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Seles and someone else and the Europeans were Kournikova, Hantuchova, Schett, Majoli and I think Dokic but she withdrew.

The event was a total con. I went as a kid and the tennis itself was fine, and for your ticket you got tons of freebies, a lanyard I still have. But when we got to our seats there was no row X, Y, Z but the ticket people were like “oh the whole top row are those rows”. A lie but since it was half full wasn’t an issue. Later emerged the guy running it paid nobody and the charity it was in aid of never got a penny
I had forgotten about that. So, we already had this type of event once, and it got no attention despite the fact that women's tennis was still at the peak of its popularity.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Yes, it’s certainly Roger’s responsibility to coordinate & put together WTA exhibitions. Somehow the women are just never capable enough of doing anything. PTPA? “Hey, what about the women?” Laver Cup, “Why can’t the women have one too?”

What’s stopping them from organizing their own Laver Cup? They certainly have enough connections to the business world. They have access to capital.

Of course the damsels in distress will need King Roger’s approval first. Hope they ask nicely.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,096 Posts
Pointless, useless, overglorified exhibition tournament.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts