Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why Dubai, a Tier II, draws half of the top ten, while Doha draws only two top ten players? The field is extremely poor. :eek:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Dubai before, Indian Wells directly after, and a mandatory Miami? Doha seems like the week to skip.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Equipped said:
Dubai before, Indian Wells directly after, and a mandatory Miami? Doha seems like the week to skip.
Yeah true....

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the timing, but why is this the week to skip and not Dubai?

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
UDACHi said:
I understand the timing, but why is this the week to skip and not Dubai?
Because playing Doha would mean five straight weeks of tennis. With Dubai, at least you get a week off.

Plus, Dubai's appearance fees are sky high.

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
Dubia in general is just a better tournament. I mean this year (not including the withdrawals'...) it had Davenport, Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne, Hingis, Venus, Serena, Kusnetsova, Myskina.

Then even when Venus and Serena went out, they were able to attract Momo. I guess it is just a really nice place for players to go to play a week of tennis!

Reactions: fOxYLiCiOuS

·
Premium Member
181,953 Posts
and look at the mens field next week in Dubai also :bolt:

Agassi playing there and not in Las Vegas (his home town)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
:eek: duh!, who wouldn't want to get to dubai, have you ever been there?, you need to google dubai fast and watch the pictures! that place is amasing :hearts: :drool: , players dont choose out the tournaments they play just by 'the tournament' and the schedule.(off course it is part of it but) when your a toptennisplayer you travel the world a lot and get to see amasing places, see different cultures etc. dubai is amasing!, the shoppingcentres all the attractions, the waterpark. dubai has a lot to offer. i definetly want to go there at least once in my life. :) it's a great lifeexperience. your life and the things you do in your life are more important then tennis, dont you feel the same way? :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Polla Muy Tiesa said:
Doha :hug:
All tournaments need a little love. :angel:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Dubai has more money to lavish on players - they have a major airline and US and global ports on their spending list so the odd million for tennis is peanuts.

It may also be something to do with players scheduling around the new rules - some people do it better than others and Doha like Tokyo is a good place to pick up points if and only if you are smart enough to work it out.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Dubai has the $$$$$$ :yeah:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts