Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Canadian Open the two qualifying days and today, and I will go at least two more days.

one thing amazed me the level of attendance.

Today centre court was nearly full, despite the fact the weather was not precisely good and that they have raised the prices 50%.

Canadians don't particulary like tennis, the tickets are expensive, there is some promotion, but nothing special (there have been ads on tv for a while, but mostly passed during tennis matches).

The field is weak with all the withdrawals.

The canadian players don't do well.

but the tournament is sold out anyways, the only way you can get cheap tickets is by buying them in advance.

and the main attractions still haven't played. Sharapova plays tomorrow, Justine probably Wednesday, same with Kim.

What do they do to make the tournament succesful? I don't know but probably other tournaments should find out.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Toronto is not Hollywood. In Toronto, sporting events are "the place to be seen". (excluding Argo games, from what I hear).

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
disposablehero said:
Toronto is not Hollywood. In Toronto, sporting events are "the place to be seen". (excluding Argo games, from what I hear).
you are probably right, 90% of the people there had no clue whatsoever but they seemed to be enjoying it. :confused:

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are too many tennis tournaments in the USA and that maybe the reason why fans get bored whilst Canada has less tournaments that they look forward yearly for this tournaments and same goes in UK, they have less tournaments there and normally, even Day 1 is well-attended.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
You will find it's the same in Sydney and generally Australia too. Tennis tournaments are always sold out.

Which is why I think all these "the courts are empty, the sport is dying, let's do something to save it" are all a load of bullsh*t! It just depends on location.

FWIW, I think the Canadian Open will be great, both Justine and Kim are there. :D

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Isn't Celine Dion supposed to be attending?!

·
Premium Member
20,030 Posts
vs1 said:
Isn't Celine Dion supposed to be attending?!
I think this is the main reason. Who wouldn't want to see Celine? LOL ;) :)

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Our Canadian friends have said what my speculation would be; that it's an event. It's not just promoted as "see PLayer A and Player B, etc." but as the Canadian championships of tennis.

I've said it repeatedly throughout the year, whenever some tournament promoter somewhere would bitch and moan about his misfortunes, or how tough it is to promote a tourney. Look at Canada. See what they are doing. You don't necesarily need the absolute biggest attractions, or local players contending for the title. Just good solid promotion of a good solid product. If you get any of the other things, it's a bonus.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Because if you 1. know about it; and 2. actually put thought into whether to go, it's a really nice opportunity to see world class sport.

Almost every event at the Sydney Olympics was full too even though most Australians are not exactly archery, baseball or wrestling fans. Of course, there was the glamour of it being the Olympics but basically, people from countries like Canada and Australia (and probably many other smallish but proud places) tend to go out of their way to support local events and thus promote their nation and make visitors (including sports stars) feel welcome. Some other countries tend not to. Maybe it has to do with those other countries having more opportunities to attend events than is good for them!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My guess is appreciation. There's very little top flight tennis held in Canada, so this event is IT. Take it or leave it is the ultimatum. 'Take it' is the consensus.

Reactions: doloresc

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
you know what, who really cares why people are there, the important thing is that people ARE there, not like some tournaments in the US.

·
Banned
947 Posts
Naldo said:
you know what, who really cares why people are there, the important thing is that people ARE there, not like some tournaments in the US.
point taken, naldo, but would the attendance be just as good in toronto if you had several WTA tournaments throughout the year in other provinces?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Because Canadians appreciate Tennis even if there are no huge mega stars there to play. As long as the players are determined and eager and give it their all they will be appreciated.

or it could be that they just show up to make the empty american tournaments and americans look bad..... :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :lol:

or maybe canada is so freaking boring that even a tennis tournament with players ranked in the 500 to 1000 range would be wildly entertaining....

·
Premium Member
20,030 Posts
didn't the tour official of this tournament complain about all the withdrawls? She also claimed that the WTA should adopt the masters series of the ATP.

And the question really is this:

Are their alot of WTA tournaments in Canada? So maybe that's why the fans are eager to get to this tournament.

I guess if players on the WTA continue to pull out the crowd won't be the same as this year.

Good promotion, even though their is no tv coverage of this tournament. :(

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
or maybe canada is so freaking boring that even a tennis tournament with players ranked in the 500 to 1000 range would be wildly entertaining....
:haha: don't hold back :).

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
harloo said:
didn't the tour official of this tournament complain about all the withdrawls? She also claimed that the WTA should adopt the masters series of the ATP.

And the question really is this:

Are their alot of WTA tournaments in Canada? So maybe that's why the fans are eager to get to this tournament.

I guess if players on the WTA continue to pull out the crowd won't be the same as this year.

Good promotion, even though their is no tv coverage of this tournament. :(
No, there's not many events. I can only think of two. Rogers AT&T and the Bell Challenge (in Quebec)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts