Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is probably pretty obvious to others, but why isn't Sharapova using her protected ranking for the French Open. As I understand the rules she is able to use her protected ranking (4) for 1 slam and 6 other tournaments because of her injury and subsequent time away from the game.

The only reason I can gather is because she wants to use it for Wimbledon which would be her preferred surface over clay, and hope to gain the advantage of a high seeding on a better surface.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Sharapova doesnt have a protected ranking.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
She is straight in on her own ranking for the French and Wimbledon, as she was ranked well inside the Top 100 when entry lists for both of these events came out.

Also, seedings are based on actual rankings, not protected rankings. The days of Special Seedings are ova.

·
Dubai Love
52,429 Posts
Protected ranking is used only to get into events, and she didn't need it because her ranking was high enough for entry without it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realise that she got in based on her current ranking, I however didn't realise that you couldn't use a protected ranking when your current ranking is sufficient to get you in anyway.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
It should be a requirement that you must read the WTA/ITF Rulebook and then pass an exam before posting here. It would make things so much easier! :lol:

Protected rankings are used for entry ONLY! Seedings are based on the REAL rankings. Likewise, entries are made 6 weeks PRIOR to the event. Sharapova was ranked in the 50's at the time of entry for Roland Garros and does not need to use her protected ranking until the American hardcourt events.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
It is probably pretty obvious to others, but why isn't Sharapova using her protected ranking for the French Open. As I understand the rules she is able to use her protected ranking (4) for 1 slam and 6 other tournaments because of her injury and subsequent time away from the game.

The only reason I can gather is because she wants to use it for Wimbledon which would be her preferred surface over clay, and hope to gain the advantage of a high seeding on a better surface.
Besides, she wouldn't be seeded even if she used secured rankings, so there would be no point :shrug:

·
Registered
33,057 Posts
It should be a requirement that you must read the WTA/ITF Rulebook and then pass an exam before posting here. It would make things so much easier! :lol:

Protected rankings are used for entry ONLY! Seedings are based on the REAL rankings. Likewise, entries are made 6 weeks PRIOR to the event. Sharapova was ranked in the 50's at the time of entry for Roland Garros and does not need to use her protected ranking until the American hardcourt events.
I never read that, but I know the rules. There must be like 5 threads a day of "Why isn't she seeded if she has a protected ranking????" or "Why doesn't JJ and Ree have byes in Madrid???" :help:.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well isn't someone all superior. Excuse me for having a life outside of posting on this forum. A simple 'seedings are not based on protected rankings' would of sufficed.

She may need to use her protected ranking to get into Wimbledon lead up events depending on cut offs.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
As I understand it, 'protected ranking' only applies to tournament entry. (actually, I'm not sure it's even called 'protected ranking' anymore.) It doesn't apply to seeding. ANd given that this is an ITF event, that's totally at the discretion of the tournament. Given she's a former champ, a popular player, in the prime of her career and coming off injury, I'd expect Wimbledon to seed her, something like the 23 Venus got in 2007, that's keeps her out of the way of the top eight til the fourth round.

However, recall that her last two WB appearances ended 4r, 2r. They could just let the chips fall where they may.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
I realise that she got in based on her current ranking, I however didn't realise that you couldn't use a protected ranking when your current ranking is sufficient to get you in anyway.
As you say, you can use it for ONE Slam per year. So, logically, why would she waste it when she could get in directly with her real ranking?

She might be ranked #125 come USO entries, and then she wouldn't be able to use it because she used it when she didn't need it at FO/W.

So...does that answer your question?

·
Registered
33,057 Posts
Well isn't someone all superior. Excuse me for having a life outside of posting on this forum. A simple 'seedings are not based on protected rankings' would of sufficed.

She may need to use her protected ranking to get into Wimbledon lead up events depending on cut offs.
Well you could just ask in the main draw thread or her forum, we don't need a whole thread.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,111 Posts
As I understand it, 'protected ranking' only applies to tournament entry. (actually, I'm not sure it's even called 'protected ranking' anymore.) It doesn't apply to seeding. ANd given that this is an ITF event, that's totally at the discretion of the tournament. Given she's a former champ, a popular player, in the prime of her career and coming off injury, I'd expect Wimbledon to seed her, something like the 23 Venus got in 2007, that's keeps her out of the way of the top eight til the fourth round.

However, recall that her last two WB appearances ended 4r, 2r. They could just let the chips fall where they may.
Actually, I think the seeds HAVE to be the top 32 players entered, which can then be shuffled at the committee's discretion. So unless Maria races up the rankings in the next three weeks, she won't be seeded anyway.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts

Wimbledon will not be allowed to seed Maria Sharapova. The top 32 in the rankings are guaranteed a seed; just what seed is up to Wimbledon. Unless Sharapova wins Roland Garros, she will not be seeded for Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
This discussion is moot, because Sharapova is basically finished anyway.

If you are a fan, the best is to leave her alone and let her quietly enjoy life away from the tour with her girlfriend. I think that's what she longs for and what her handlers and agents won't let her do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts