Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Venus once moonballed her way back from a 2-6 0-5 deficit against Henin at the old Amelia Island tournament. It’s a tactic that can work well to break your opponent’s rhythm but it’s not a good idea to make a career out of it. ?

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Sabatini almost got to #1 with that. And it was all she can do. So I also wonder, why it is not more popular.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
That's interesting. If the guy I'm playing is inconsistent for me it's way easier to try to push the ball back in a way that I either put him in uncomfortable positions.

I love going to the net when possible though, and even improved recently on that.
Yes, it's way easier to play against an inconsistent guy (and I play better, if they're giving me mistakes I don't feel as much pressure to make my shots). An opponent who never misses, that's much much harder.

My point construction tends to get me to the net but I'm so bad at putaway volleys :bigcry:

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
Sure I guess some players might have a hard time dealing with this but I don't think there are too many

Another answer might be this: most players that make it to the top are good enough to play real tennis and win matches using normal shot making so choosing this strategy (let's call it that) makes no sense for them. This is why we don't see this being played, because players having the audacity to do this loose against better players that make it to the top instead
The thing is that usually they don't even try it ;)

Or their moonball is too weak (you can play such of different quality too).

·
Banned
2,202 Posts
Because it's a tactic that will get demolished against attacking players. Literally the only reason to ever moonball in WTA is if you have been hit off the court, and in order to reset the point you have to moon ball it back deep. And that is a desperation tactic that many times fails because lot of players end up hitting the ball too far and out.

In ATP, moonballs (in the traditional sense) never work because those players have so much power they can hit a smash from back near the baseline and win the point. And if you leave it any shorter than that, it's going to get clobbered so hard it won't even be returnable.

The clip of Amina was ridiculous. That was like watching two senior citizens (75 years old and up) play tennis. And I've seen players that age play with more authority than what Amina and her opponent did.

It's just not a smart way to play unless your opponent is terrible. And any competent top 200 WTA player should absolutely hammer moon balls (the problem is most don't because they are too scared to go for winners off soft balls - I saw Pera hit like 3 straight balls right into the net on balls her opponent was underhand serving her). The easiest shot in the world, that most amateurs can make, she was missing repeatedly. It must be harder for girls to hit winners because I've played with rec league men that have no issue taking a softly hit puff ball, taking a peek at where their opponent is, and then simply hitting the ball where their opponent isnt. They don't even need to hit it that hard. But for girls, it must be some mindset or rhythm that throws them off.

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
Sabatini almost got to #1 with that. And it was all she can do. So I also wonder, why it is not more popular.
I think there's a difference between her ''moonballs'' and what is the first thing that people associate with this word ;) Most of the time they were not even that high.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Schnyder hit a moonball winner this week in Prague against Allertová - it was a long one and bounced so high and far that Allertová ran out of space to return it :)

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Mary Pierce used to use it quite effectively. It made the opponent often hit back a shortr higher ball that she would then destroy.
Exactly. It can be effective.

In IW, Kasatkina did it to Kerber, Sloane, Wozniacki, etc.

Azarenka does it to Sloane. And so on.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Moonballing was VERY popular in the late 80s and early 90s, as shown by the Seles vs. Evert clips. (It was shocking to see Monica moonballing Chrissie to death). The fans did not like moonballing and eventually started booing players who would moonball excessively. That's one of the reasons players stopped doing it, because they didn't want to get booed.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Pat Cash just told Coco Vandeweghe to moonball at the changeover in her 1R match vs Kontaveit in Rome. It led to a hilarious point immediately after where Kontaveit handled Coco's moonballs with ease before hitting an easy winner to take the point.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
I don't think many complain if it's used as a defensive mechanism. In fact many aggressive players use it when they are on defense and have to get back to neutral position. It's an intelligent tactic used by many players from Azarenka to Serena and even Kvitova some times. But not when they are in a position to finish a rally which is unlike what happened in that Kerber-Wozniacki clip that you shared. Both of those players could have finished the rally as neither of them was attacking nor defending. But they just kept moonballing without any reason. It's worse than brainless ball bashing and deserves every bit of mockery that it gets.
I was thinking the same myself, as I read the OP's statements!! :yeah:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
With that Kerber-Woz moonball rally, I like to think this is what happened:

Change of ends during the third set.
Woz: Hey Angie, I'm getting bored. Wanna troll the tennis fans a bit?
Angie: Why not... what should we do?
Woz: Follow my lead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think Wozniacki was the last master of the moonball, it's definitely something that's disappearing. Although I think Chwalinska likes moonballing quite a lot.

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
I think Wozniacki was the last master of the moonball, it's definitely something that's disappearing. Although I think Chwalinska likes moonballing quite a lot.

Amina Anshba is a queen of moonballs, but she's a lower ITF-tier player only (maybe because that is most that she does), she was involved in that infamous long-ass moonball rally against Magdalena Fręch.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
To be fair, Chwalinska normally uses it to reset herself, rather than as a deliberate repetitive tactic. She's possibly the most patient player around, not caring if she has rally after rally that's 20 or more shots, because she can so often set herself up for the winner (or an unforced error from her opponent). Her classic combo is normally a deep shot with a lot of topspin to get the bounce, followed by a dropshot that her opponent has no chance of reaching because she's stuck way behind the baseline.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
What great entertainers Wozniacki and Kerber are. True signature girls.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts