1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...when in fact she is playing MORE tournaments than last year

2002-Jan-Wimbledon: 16
2003-Jan-Wimbledon: 17

Perhaps nobody is noticing because she rarely gets past round 1 or 2... :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
bingo. Dokic has been bombing out early in most of her tournaments, so even though she's entered in the same or more, she's not playing nearly as many matches as she has this same time last year.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I hate to always pick on the same people, but Dokic brings it upon herself.

Here is an example of why thwe ranking system is about quality and not quantity.

Kim Clijsters has 22 events. Her 16th best is 170 points.
Jelena Dokic has 30 events. Her 3rd best is 156.

Playing a lot doesn't get you to the top. Playing damn well gets you there.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
exactly if she was doing well in the tournaments then people would be complaining but siince she isn't she isn't playing many matches so people don't really notice as much.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
And if jelena had been doing well in most of her events, then i guess she wouldn't have been entered in as many in the first place...she entered quite a few tournaments as last-minute things for match-practice.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Naldo said:
bingo. Dokic has been bombing out early in most of her tournaments, so even though she's entered in the same or more, she's not playing nearly as many matches as she has this same time last year.
didnt she say she is cutting down her schedule?
she certainly did that :rolleyes: ............

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
i_like_tennis said:
didnt she say she is cutting down her schedule?
she certainly did that :rolleyes: ............
yes she did, but playing as badly as she is now, she's lokign to get as many points and matches under her belt. im pretty positive that next year she'll rework her schedule which will prob include the Australian Open so she'll cut off some tournaments. when she becomes consistent enough at the big events, she'll have a proper schedule

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Incidentally, looking at Jelena's top 8 events, pointswise, leads me to believe that she is about 11 weeks from officially screwed.
San Diego II 04.08.02 F 154.00 113 267.00
Montreal I 18.08.02 SF 124.00 68 192.00
Los Angeles CH 10.11.02 QF 121.00 35 156.00
Warsaw II 04.05.03 SF 99.00 20 119.00
Miami I 30.03.03 QF 81.00 37 118.00
Los Angeles II 11.08.02 SF 88.00 30 118.00
Bahia II 15.09.02 SF 99.00 19 118.00
Tokyo II 22.09.02 SF 88.00 16 104.00

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
omg Jelena has played half the matches she did last year. And she crashed at the US Open and Its been downhill since. Instead of Complaining about how many tournaments shes playing look at her W/L ratio and how many 2nd round losses shes had.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Gosh! Some players don't even hardly play 17 tournaments in one whole year and she's playing that many and it's only Wimbledon!
She really seems like a sweet girl but she needs to realize this is not the best way to help her out with her tennis.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
disposablehero said:
I hate to always pick on the same people, but Dokic brings it upon herself.

Here is an example of why thwe ranking system is about quality and not quantity.

Kim Clijsters has 22 events. Her 16th best is 170 points.
Jelena Dokic has 30 events. Her 3rd best is 156.

Playing a lot doesn't get you to the top. Playing damn well gets you there.
And just to complete the picture,
Serena has 12 events. Her 11th best is 170 points. ;)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
TennisPower said:
And just to complete the picture,
Serena has 12 events. Her 11th best is 170 points. ;)
The quality Serena is missing is in her schedule. Fewest events in the top 20 pretty much every single year since she arrived there. Might have had about two or three more events than Lindsay last year. Lindsay started her season at the end of July.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
It is true that Jelena has a big change of losing a lot of points after this U.S. hardcourt season. But, with her horrible performance at the U.S. Open last year, she should be able to level things out with a better performance this year.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
disposablehero said:
The quality Serena is missing is in her schedule.
I'm not sure about that. In as much as I would her to play more, she still managed to keep the #1 for more than a year with just about 12-13 tourneys. In terms of efficiency, that's a high quality schedule; it allows her to maintain her health, both physical and mental, and leaves her time for other.... girlish stuff ;).

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
TennisPower said:
I'm not sure about that. In as much as I would her to play more, she still managed to keep the #1 for more than a year with just about 12-13 tourneys. In terms of efficiency, that's a high quality schedule; it allows her to maintain her health, both physical and mental, and leaves her time for other.... girlish stuff ;).
She has. But now she is about to lose it to someone whose average result is less than hers. That's not efficient.

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
I won't take bombing out of tournaments early as an excuse to play more but hey who am I to say.
Hope she gets her scheduling right next year (crossing fingers for post US Open).

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
disposablehero said:
She has. But now she is about to lose it to someone whose average result is less than hers. That's not efficient.

Actually, I think its very efficient. Serena has played as "much" as she would have liked and has held the #1 for more than 1 year.. not sure what about it isn't efficient. Its a perfect system for Serena (and Venus). They can play as much as or as little as they like, but the QUALITY of their WINS is so high, that they practically lap the field.

Even if Kim takes the #1, which by the way she hasn't done yet, even though she could have this summer already, she might not hold it that long. and then she has 18 plus tournaments to defend next year..

I don't think you hear Venus and Serena complaining about the ranking system because basically for them, they can have their cake and eat it too. Can you imagine if they were in some sort of a league that required a minimum number of matches/games? They would hardly flourish like the are doing so in the WTA.

anyway, I guess we were talking about dokic, no ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts