Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time i see that ESPN ad for Roland Garros it pisses me off. the ad says basically "come and see Guga Kuerten, and watch Serena defend her crown". so ESPN is subtly conceding that Guga did not win RG last year. so why plug him?

i know that many of you consider Albert Costa to be a Nobody but he won the flipping tournament and it's totally unfair of ESPN to completely ignore him and push Guga. i love Guga, don't get me wrong; he's one of my favorite male players ever and i enjoy seeing his gorgeous face flashing across my TV screen. but if Andre or any other American had won Roland Garros last year, we would not be hearing about Guga.

ESPN's disrespect to Albert Costa is unacceptable. and the insinuation that (assumably) Spanish-speaking folks can be easily substituted for each other is also offensive. no wonder Americans remain so ignorant of so much -- our media keep us in the dark.

i'll step off my soapbox now. but those who share these sentiments may consider joining me in sending some hate mail to ESPN asking them to fix this atrocity.

and Jon Wertheim, if you're reading this, feel free to use it in your column tomorrow. no charge sweetie...:kiss:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I feel your pain TC but I think that ESPN keep their focus on Guga because more Americans could recognise him over Costa. After all, he has 3 RG titles, not bad.

Mind you, Eurosport ad's for Berlin and Roma (Tier I for women) had no-one else but A.Kournikova in them. Go figure

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah, Guga is much more recognizeable...Costa isn't going to bring in the ratings in America!!

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
I agree with Mrs. TBE:eek: and KTW. The American audience at least, maybe heard of the name "Guga".

Costa? Who?
Ferrero? Moya? Federer? WHO????

Surprised actually that they didn't say, "Come see Agassi try for his 2nd Grand Slam of the Year", so you may have lucked out with Guga;)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand and accept your points. but i still don't see why they couldn't say "see Costa defend his crown against opponents like Guga Curtain!" :eek:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
ktwtennis said:
Yeah, Guga is much more recognizeable...Costa isn't going to bring in the ratings in America!!
True, but consider why it is that they haven't heard of Costa, and whoever else...

Whenever they do somethign worthwhile, they still plug Agassi, Roddick...and apparently Guga. I don't get ESPN all the time, only sometimes do we get their tennis coverage. But I'm impressed to hear that they are plugging Guga at all, seeing as they aren't doing that there...then again, they don't plug much of anything outside of the Canadian Open here.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,036 Posts
ktwtennis said:
And neither is Guga. But Agassi and Roddick would..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Surprised actually that they didn't say, "Come see Agassi try for his 2nd Grand Slam of the Year", so you may have lucked out with Guga;)
Or, come see Roddick try for his first RG title :p.

But really, if they just gonna be showing Agassi and Roddick and all the Americans, why use Guga on the advertisements?

·
Registered
747 Posts
walee said:
Or, come see Roddick try for his first RG title :p.

But really, if they just gonna be showing Agassi and Roddick and all the Americans, why use Guga on the advertisements?
They want to show Agassi and Roddick but who are they going to show in the 2nd week. I don't think ESPN has much hope that there's any America players left after 1st week of RG.

Just look at 1st day of TMS Hamburg. 4 out of 5 Americans are out already and honestly, even I like James very much, I don't think he will survive his first round match against Gaudio.

Consider the large Latin American population in US, Guga is ESPN best bet for a decent rating and ESPN has to pray very hard that Guga can get to 2nd week too!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
TC makes a fair point. Costa should atleast be mentioned in the ESPN French Open promos. It's too bad TC doesn't work for ESPN! :( They could use her ideas. :D Lord knows ESPN needs help! :eek: Especially where promoting tennis is concerned.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I guess ESPN get their market research from the same folks who also does wimbledon research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts