Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
People like to be anti establishment

Genie is marketable (urg i hate that word) and the wta knows it which is why they put her on a plane to Singapore to promote the wta finals when she hadn't yet qualified.

Essentially the wta wants to sell Genie, but most tennis fans don't like being told what to buy, here on TF we watch enough tennis to come to our own conclusions about players & we don't need the wta to tell us who to like.

Personally I like her, I just hope Robson can come back and take back her mantle of nest wta newcomer.

·
Registered
37,713 Posts

·
25,262 Posts
A Halep-Kvitova final would have made me happier but I'm fine with Eugenie winning Wimbledon.

Her self-confidence delivered in measured tones fits her deadly but non-shrieking on court style. A star is about to be born before our very eyes and in she is in full youth.

Savor the moment.:)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
This is just a latent form of sexism, IMO. If a male tennis player says "I work hard and expected this win from myself", like Dimitrov did yesterday, no one bats an eyelash. He's just being a regular "confident" guy.

But a woman saying the same thing? Suddenly she's conceited and arrogant. Society still expects women to be modest dolls who just sit there and look pretty.

What are you talking about? Don't nobody look at Grigor as being "Confident" people look at him as being an arrogant, over hyped up and comer whose only being recognized because his boinking Sharapova.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
People like to be anti establishment
I think you are making it more complicated than it is. Many posters are stating that the reason they don't like her is because she appears emotionally flat and robotic. That's a very valid reason, not to be a fan. Sharapova seems like a cuddly teddy bear compared to Genie. My mom's French Canadian, so I tried to like her, but robot's scare me.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Lol.How is Bouchard arrogant?Did she ever say "no one beats me four times in a row"?:lol:
Oh, so is "no one beats me four times in a row" the litmus test for arrogance? I'll have to jot that down in my notes.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I liked Bouchard in the beginning, I was beyond happy that she got to her first WTA final, and reached the AO semi and won her first title, but then she started to talk.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I think there is some people sick of the constant stanning and hype by the media. Some people don't like her confident demeanour (a lot of women are not encouraged to be so confident). Some people don't like her looks (they are tired of pretty white girls getting attention.). Some people don't like her game style. Also she has had a few incidents where she did not come across as likeable at all. Also she admitted to liking Justin Bieber (lol)

·
30,862 Posts
I think to some, her outward confidence is a major turn off.
They can't reconcile how such a sweet girl can be so firm and confident in how she feel can carry herself.

He interview response are direct and to the point, hitting the same theme.
ESPN thought she would walk back he coming about having no interest in making friend on the tour.
But she stuck to he exact original statement and its meaning and gave a mature explanation why.

She does not giggle and show hesitation as sign vulnerability.
Some would say she is harsh, but if that serves her well in tennis career, then more power to her
Nothing she says sounds sweet to me, not the words, not the ideas and much less the way she talks. I don't know why people created this idea that Bouchard is a sweet girl :tape:, when she's clearly much more of a tomboy and over competitive person.

-------

As mentioned her over confidence is unbearable, i guess you can have a certain amount of confidence in your skills because it seems like she's the type of player who works a bit harder than the other girls, but you can't go overboard with the confidence, she's flying too high... and you know what they say about this.

I think that young women who are overtly confident get more flack than young male athletes who do the same. :shrug: She's clearly very confident in her abilities, and it definitely grates to a certain extent, but there's no reason to hate someone because they believe in themselves.
Donald Young, Bernard Tomic :shrug: The only difference is they never made it, but both got plenty of hate and still get.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
She's basically what Sharapova haters falsely accuse Sharapova of being.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
People are really exaggerating her hate.

Indifference, boredom, dislike and anything that's not stanning =/= hate. Most people don't like having something shoved down their throats the more people laim that Genie MUST be adored the less she will.

That said, she ust doesn't have an endearing or interesting personality, her game is very unattractive also. People aren't hating, they just don't really care unless she's playing one of their faves. :shrug:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Because she's a great player. Every great players have haters. Michael Jordan, Roger Federer, Steffi Graf, LeBron James, Manny Pacquiao, etc. It's just the way it is.

81 - 100 of 763 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.