Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
This is just a latent form of sexism, IMO. If a male tennis player says "I work hard and expected this win from myself", like Dimitrov did yesterday, no one bats an eyelash. He's just being a regular "confident" guy.

But a woman saying the same thing? Suddenly she's conceited and arrogant. Society still expects women to be modest dolls who just sit there and look pretty.
That's just stupid. A lot of male athletes get criticized and disliked for being too arrogant and cocky.
One of these days even taking a shit will be regarded as sexist. Jeez.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
She makes me feel bipolar...I like her then I dont like her. I feel like she will be the new Sharapova. I was orignally a fan then over the years I just grew to dislike her.

The hype doesnt help and when I say hype I mean basically giving her credit and blowing her up as if she is doing brand new things in tennis, when everything about her has been done before.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I think that young women who are overtly confident get more flack than young male athletes who do the same. :shrug: She's clearly very confident in her abilities, and it definitely grates to a certain extent, but there's no reason to hate someone because they believe in themselves.

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,547 Posts
Too much resemblance to Sharapova would be my guess and I'm not talking about the looks alone :lol:

·
Oh My Geno!
1,786 Posts
I totally agree with you, but people were asking why she is not particulary liked among other players and many people on the board. And I do think this is a very reasonable explanation. There's nothing wrong with her tennis.

But yeah, I tend to agree with you. There's many players out there who don't expect to win a Grand Slam. But if you don't believe in your ability, I think you might never make it in the end. And if they have a big success somewhere, they will probably show more emotions, be very much liked by the fans for their good run, but they won't hold the trophy at the end.

As a fan, I like the second kind of player more. In terms of pure career achievement, option one might be better.
That's not true.

·
Registered
452 Posts
First of all, I don't hate her. I felt that Kucova incident was stupid and unnecessary, but at the time I thought that she is just young and needs to mature. Maybe she just is like that, dunno.

On a more general note... I just can't identify with Bouchard. She has a very nice game, but emotionally, I can't connect with her. She reminds me of a robot, no emotions at all. With Sharapova, I feel she's still a human being, but Genie? Don't know about her, she just seems way too mature in a way. I know it's good for her results, but still...
For other players, I can still see the FUN that they have competing. As for Bouchard, I sometimes like she is not even playing for herself, but for someone else. It's strange to explain, but that's what I feel when watching her.

Over-confident might also be a good word to describe it. It's good for her confidence on the court that she believes in herself, but her press conferences sometimes sound like she is not a single bit surprised about her results this year. That's quite hard to believe. Simona, in opposition, is way more down-to-earth. She said she believed she can be at the top, but never expected to have a stunning year like she had. I just think that's a better way to communicate.
I agree with the whole robotic theory! I just can't connect to her nor her game. She plays with no heart IMO it's like she's programmed to play a match. Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, like them or not they play with heart, it's like every point they play, it's a passion and it's hard to feel that from Bouchard! Even ice queen Aga has more emotion than her.

·
Premium Member
27,234 Posts
She´s not that beautiful either, she´s average looking, some people think she´s more beautiful than Minella or VIP... even sharapova is more beautiful than her :rolleyes:

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,547 Posts
NO.
Hostility toward Genie does not come from her looks, it comes from attitude.

While Maria is guarded and aloof, Genie is direct and unafraid.
Wait 'til Genie gets thrown onto the sharp end of the marketing deals ;) Plus the "I have no friends on Tour" attitude is straight from Sharapova's textbook :p

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I agree with the whole robotic theory! I just can't connect to her nor her game. She plays with no heart IMO it's like she's programmed to play a match. Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, like them or not they play with heart, it's like every point they play, it's a passion and it's hard to feel that from Bouchard! Even ice queen Aga has more emotion than her.

Listen to her interviews - she clearly loves tennis, and is passionate about it. Keeping your emotions in isn't a bad thing - you don't have to relate to it, but you simply cannot say she doesn't play with heart.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
genie is good looking (realitvely), plays modern successful type of tennis, will be a top player for a long time and GS winner in this very open era of WTA. i understand this but somehow i can't force my self to like her so much.
Maybe it is the voice, the attitude, can't point it.
She is not bad.
I like simona better but she was overpowered today.

·
Registered
452 Posts
genie is good looking (realitvely), plays modern successful type of tennis, will be a top player for a long time and GS winner in this very open era of WTA. i understand this but somehow i can't force my self to like her so much.
Maybe it is the voice, the attitude, can't point it.
She is not bad.
I like simona better but she was overpowered today.
Yeah the voice bugs me too! It's just weird coming out of her mouth!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
No bash thread.

I mean, what has she done? Just for that Fed Cup accident with Kucova?
Fed Cup non-hand shaker (this is a big one)...Romney supporter...Ugly strokes?

I actually liked her until the handshake thing, that's a big deal-breaker for some people.

She does have amazing nerves of steel-almost like a robot, emotions wise.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts

·
Registered
39,324 Posts
I don't hate her. But she's like a robot. No emotions, even when she won today. Plus her game is not really attractive. Does she enjoy herself on the court?
That's what I keep asking myself, too. I hope she does.

41 - 60 of 763 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.