Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daja Bedanova has suddenly went from being one of the most impressive newcomers to being one of the most struggling tennis players on tour.

What is happening all of a sudden with her and why has she lost I think now her third straight match in Paris?

Is she injured again or is she just another new player dealing with the pressures of competing on tour?

·
Premium Member
21,311 Posts
I'd say its the latter...

These talented young players coming up (Daja, Daniela etc) will have their ups and their downs...they arent Top 20 players yet, they are still young and figuring their games out...until they actually start winning big events and become name players I wont be surprised at these losses...in fact I was expecting Maggie to beat Daja (which she did), and Im not all that surprised with Daniela losing to Francesca in Paris, especially considering how well Francesca is playing of late.

I think maybe we expect too much too soon from these youngsters? Sure they are talented and moving up in the ranks, but they are not top players yet, and 'mini slumps' like this will always happen on their quest for a higher rank.

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
She did the same last year

only winning 7 matches in the 1st 6-7 months or so uintil she got back on the US Hard courts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Veru thoughtful post Iva and I think you have proven that in today's tour, unless you are incredibly talented, it takes a lot more than just talent alone to win a lot of matches.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Well, she hasn't had awful losses.
She lost to Ana Medina, Natalie Dechy, Justine Henin & Maggie Maleeva.
Not a bad group.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You guys are right..

Being a talented player won't guarantee you an excelent results..

They are young.. and they are learning..

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
She's had tough draws, I saw her play at the Australian Open, her form is excellent, give her a good draw and she will go all the way!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No her opponents have been tough, but I guess I expected someone who has had big wins to get through some of those matches.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think she's in bad form. Period. She just can't win matches atm, whoever she's playing. Draws aren't the problem, and really since the back-end of last year the wins were getting harder to come by (since beating Monica basically).

I agree that talent enough isn't alone. I mean, c'mon there are so many talented girls out there, that it never could be.

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
10 years or so ago players like Daja, Daniela, Lina would already be around Top 10.

but cos of the AER rules it holds some players back longer than others.

Also now the strength in depth of the tour is alot stronger than it was.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Daja's adjusting to her new "status". All promising players face these expectations. I think she'll be fine. Well, she better be. ;)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
AER -'Age Eligibility Restrictions' - Underaged players are restricted inthe mnnumber of tournaments they can play. Keep the child prodigies from burning out.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
Another thing that happens to the rising young players is that after one year of smooth sailing, the veteran players figure out their game and beat them more easily than the year before. It is hard to picture Monica losing to Daja right now, for one example.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was so impressed with Daja at the Aust Open in 01, esp against Elena D and also ith her run at the US Open.
I watched her match with Medina at this years Open. Anabel played really well, no two ways about it, but Daja seemed to really struggle with timing and everything. I also watched her doubles matches with Kveta, and although they did really well Daja still didn't seem to be playing that well.
Hope she can turn it around and I am really looking forward to her match with Hantuchova in Antwerp.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am actually intrigued about the Daja/Daniela match. Is this their first match against each other?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts