Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A match-up that for 15 years now is NID featuring two players years beyond their peak, and yet, it's all women's tennis has been talking about since the draw came out. in fact, only meetings between the Big 3 in the ATP generates more buzz.

Why?

·
La nuit je mens
86,888 Posts
For this.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Why transformers is such a big blockbuster? Why Tyler Perry was the most well paid actor in hollywood? Why is Kardashian so well known?

It may be popular, but I wouldn't call it important.

·
Registered
112,683 Posts
For the same reason a Rousey/Tate fight would do better than fights between the best current woman fighters
Serena and Sharapova were good for a long time, famous for a long time, and casual sports fans dont follow whats happening each major, but they recognize the famous names

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i think important is the wrong word here.i believe the match will have very little effect on who actually wins the tournament ,so it's not really important .:shrug:

but its a fun popcorn match .

·
Registered
755 Posts
A match-up that for 15 years now is NID featuring two players years beyond their peak, and yet, it's all women's tennis has been talking about since the draw came out. in fact, only meetings between the Big 3 in the ATP generates more buzz.

Why?
because it's a match between #1 and #3* best active players?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Why?
Short answer: nostalgia. In the tennis world I think only Federer Nadal generates more buzz. Of course everyone expects Serena to drag Sharapova, but that doesn't make it any less exciting. Oh and it's the first time they've ever met here. Also might be the last time we see this, as neither one is getting any younger and with Sharapova not finding her form it's become increasingly unlikely for them to meet in the latter stages of a tournament, like they used to back in the day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
because any one who isnt into tennis at all but might have caught a glance 10 years ago would maybe know their names and might tune in

it is a tournaments dream to have two champions (who cares if they are past their prime) play—— in the first round

$$$$& is king and williams v sharapova already have matches archived on “classic matches”

it is hype- seller; great for a first round

most people dont care and cant tell they have slowed a step or two; imagine if it is a tight match?

then the espn commentators can yammer for the first week if it is a good match

if it is a really good match they can show it over and over and over on rain delays (even though 2 roofs)

it covers a lot of bases

and, as everyone here realizes, the media needs a focal point each day- and the tournament as well

so before day 1 there is something concrete to latch on to

nadal and federer arent playing day 1
and the fans who dont know a lot of players wont know the “matchups of the day” and which might be better than the other

also, now how do you organize tv; do you put serena and sharapovra on first night on ashe?

better than 1 and 2 seeds getting a random first round

i would put whole day one around this match and have it on ashe at night

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,363 Posts
It's like that Tiger vs Mickelson wager game.. or like Washington Redskins free agency class... way past-prime these days :lol:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts