Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PARIS -- Serena Williams was impressed by Annika Sorenstam's foray onto the PGA Tour. The No. 1 women's tennis player has no desire to play against men, though.

"I think she did great," Williams said Sunday. "I really wanted her to do even better. But I think she did really, really well."

Williams, who begins defense of her French Open title Monday, added that Sorenstam proved "she can hang up there. It's cool she was able to do that."

Williams has been as dominant on the WTA Tour as Sorenstam is on the LPGA Tour, winning tennis' last four Grand Slam tournaments and opening 2003 with 21 consecutive match victories.

At the Colonial tournament in Fort Worth, Texas, this week, Sorenstam became the first woman to play in a PGA Tour event in 58 years. The Swede had creditable rounds of 71-74 but missed the cut.

Williams won't entertain thoughts of trying something similar.

"I'm here to play female tennis," she said. "I've never been involved in men's tennis."

Asked how she thought she would do if tempted to play against men, Williams smiled and delivered a quick response: "I wouldn't be tempted."

This year is the 30th anniversary of the original "Battle of the Sexes" on a tennis court. On Sept. 20, 1973, Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in an exhibition in Houston, bringing more exposure to women's sports.

==============================================================

Why don't the go after Clijsters to play Hewitt or Capriati to play some guy or even Davenport because she is the biggest woman on the tour?
This useless media pursuit is getting old and is always stirred up every few months by the media hound Johnny Mac.
Women do not and can not play men equally in tennis.

But the can in bowling, archery and marksmanship.

Also, chess and horse shoes. :)

Reactions: maccardel

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
well i can see WHY they would want her to play men...first of all, a woman just played goldf in a men's event, so people are now talking about serena doing it. second of all, serena is clearly the best and most powerful player on the women's tour so people are now curious to see how she would do if she played against men...
though i do not and never will agree with serena playing in the atp tour, certainly you CAN SEE WHY people are asking serena to play men and certainly you CAN SEE WHY they aren't asking kim and jennifer etc ;)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Why don't the go after Clijsters to play Hewitt or Capriati to play some guy or even Davenport because she is the biggest woman on the tour?
1. Because Clijsters is not even the best female player in the world.
2. "Big" in whatever sense of that word does not equate to tennis skills. Again Davenport is also not the best female player in the world.

And the fact that the media often asks her these questions bothers you because....?

However, don't forget Golf as being another 'sport' where women can match the men.

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
Sam L said:
1. Because Clijsters is not even the best female player in the world.
2. "Big" in whatever sense of that word does not equate to tennis skills. Again Davenport is also not the best female player in the world.

And the fact that the media often asks her these questions bothers you because....?

However, don't forget Golf as being another 'sport' where women can match the men.
um...golf women cannot match the men....thats why annika played her absolute best on day 1 and was nowhere close to leading and thats why she crumbled on the second day....pga courses are longer, harder, the greens are faster, and let's face it, men are better...
i would NOT add golf to the list of 'sports' where women can play with men...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Why in the heck does the media keep bugging SERENA to play men?
Because they're in competition with the other half of the media which keeps bugging Monica Seles to retire.

They're trying to see which half can pester their experimental subject into insanity first. The winners get first pick of the doughnuts every day in the press room at the US Open, so the competition is fierce.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
monicAnna said:
um...golf women cannot match the men....thats why annika played her absolute best on day 1 and was nowhere close to leading and thats why she crumbled on the second day....pga courses are longer, harder, the greens are faster, and let's face it, men are better...
i would NOT add golf to the list of 'sports' where women can play with men...
I'm not a golf fan, I absolutely hate the sport, but I read that she did better than a former MAJOR winner. I can't remember the name. So I'd call that matching it with the men actually.

Can Serena beat any former male GS champion, that's still competing on tour?

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
TeeRexx said:
PARIS -- Serena Williams was impressed by Annika Sorenstam's foray onto the PGA Tour. The No. 1 women's tennis player has no desire to play against men, though.

"I think she did great," Williams said Sunday. "I really wanted her to do even better. But I think she did really, really well."

Williams, who begins defense of her French Open title Monday, added that Sorenstam proved "she can hang up there. It's cool she was able to do that."

Williams has been as dominant on the WTA Tour as Sorenstam is on the LPGA Tour, winning tennis' last four Grand Slam tournaments and opening 2003 with 21 consecutive match victories.

At the Colonial tournament in Fort Worth, Texas, this week, Sorenstam became the first woman to play in a PGA Tour event in 58 years. The Swede had creditable rounds of 71-74 but missed the cut.

Williams won't entertain thoughts of trying something similar.

"I'm here to play female tennis," she said. "I've never been involved in men's tennis."

Asked how she thought she would do if tempted to play against men, Williams smiled and delivered a quick response: "I wouldn't be tempted."

This year is the 30th anniversary of the original "Battle of the Sexes" on a tennis court. On Sept. 20, 1973, Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in an exhibition in Houston, bringing more exposure to women's sports.

==============================================================

This useless media pursuit is getting old and is always stirred up every few months by the media hound Johnny Mac.
Women do not and can not play men equally in tennis.

But the can in bowling, archery and marksmanship.

Also, chess and horse shoes. :)

Actually, believe me...the women cannot compete with the men in chess either. ;) The top women are far from the top men. I can only think of one woman who has achieved the normal "Grandmaster" status/title...and she can hang with some of the upper echelon men (notice I said 'some'). I know this because I used to follow chess quite intensely. :eek:

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
Sam L said:
I'm not a golf fan, I absolutely hate the sport, but I read that she did better than a former MAJOR winner. I can't remember the name. So I'd call that matching it with the men actually.

Can Serena beat any former male GS champion, that's still competing on tour?
lol...she did better than alot of players obviosuly but if she played consistently on the men's tour she would NEVER win an event and she would RARELY (maybe 5% of the time) make the cut....
if u knew anythnig about golf, u would understand what i am saying...;)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
monicAnna said:
lol...she did better than alot of players obviosuly but if she played consistently on the men's tour she would NEVER win an event and she would RARELY (maybe 5% of the time) make the cut....
if u knew anythnig about golf, u would understand what i am saying...;)
Still the point is she did beat them. I know about cuts and how she didn't make it. But I also know a little about the golf scoring system, and did she or did she NOT do better than a former MAJOR winner? Well?

Of course if she played consistently on men's tour she'd be below average. But compared to what Serena losing in 1st round every tournament on ATP or Marion Jones coming last in every 100m race?

Clearly Golf lets the women compete better with the men than other sports.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
They are doing it cos they don't want her to turn lesbian. They figure her playing mens tennis will stop this if she's around the guys more than the ladies. They figure that all of serenas tits n ass is wasted on women and that it should be for guys only.

or not.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting, er, thoughts in this thread. :)
Not mine of course.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Shouldn't they be bugging henin or mauresmo cos they beat serena on clay? If clay negates power and is irrelvant then shouln't it be logical to expect that Justine can compete very well against the guys?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Annika is no.1, so is Serena....they just wanted to ride on Serena's popularity being the best player ever to play tennis on the women's circuit.:worhsip:

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
tennnisfannn said:
Shouldn't they be bugging henin or mauresmo cos they beat serena on clay? If clay negates power and is irrelvant then shouln't it be logical to expect that Justine can compete very well against the guys?
Because the clay only takes off some of the power. It doesn't make every ball hit end up the same pace. ;)

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,981 Posts
Yeah I can see why they are asking Serena and not the other players.
In 1999 Serena asked for a WC to play in a mens tournament after she won the USOPEN.. now Serena is no.1 and dominating the sport, Annika the no.1 female golfer competed with the men, it's a 30th anniversary since a woman competed against a man and finally it would be interesting to see... (yes I know Serena will be crushed but just to see how she would return and serve against them- would be interesting)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
I agree that it would be really interesting to see though!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
King Lindsay said:
why are they raising the prospect to Serena? Because she's the one who brought up the issue years ago.
I remember that! She wanted to play on the mens tour and was told she couldn't. And I thought it was funny cos she wasn't even in the Top 5 women.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
DiVaMoNiCaSeLeS said:
I remember that! She wanted to play on the mens tour and was told she couldn't. And I thought it was funny cos she wasn't even in the Top 5 women.
Right. So I'm not sure why anybody should be shocked that the press is asking her about it in light of Annika's tour-jumping.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts